The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Andreas Athanasiou: The “Tyson Barrie” of forwards?

[proposal]Andreas Athanasiou:  The “Tyson Barrie” of forwards? 

If the Canucks can find a way to create cap space (ie Ferland LTIR, or some other way), then perhaps signing Athanasiou would be a good way to go.   

As was the case with Barrie, maybe AA would be looking for an opportunity to sign a one year deal so that he can get his stats up and then sign a new contract in what would hopefully be a post Covid world.   

Athanasiou might be a good fit here for a few reasons:

1) He scored 30 goals just two seasons ago and is still youngish.  Barrie was also very good two seasons ago before having a stinker last season.  
2) AA can play both Center and Wing.  
3) AA and Virtanen would be one of the fastest lines in the NHL.   Whether AA and Virtanen played with Horvat, or formed their own line, these guys would blitz opponents with speed.  Furthermore, if AA and Virtanen were to play together, while Horvat, Pearson, and Eriksson remained together as a line, perhaps the Canucks could finally get some consistent bottom 6 scoring. 

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Eriksson

Athanasiou-Gaudette-Virtanen

(or Roussel-Athanasiou-Virtanen)

Motte-Beagle-MacEwen

(or Motte-Beagle-Gaudette)

Andreas Athanasiou on a 1 year 3,000,000 AAV if we can make it work from a cap standpoint.  Yay, nay, or gay?

Edited by DarkIndianRises

1 hour ago, Robert Long said:

Detroit was happy to let him go and Edmonton didn't give him a QO. That screams of potential. bad attitude issues. I'd rather spend on more defence. 

He had a 30-goal season year before last, and has arb rights. He would have got well over $3M, likely over $4M. That’s why Edmonton didn’t qualify him.

I wouldn’t be opposed to a cheap contract for AA. Definite upside, and low risk.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

He had a 30-goal season year before last, and has arb rights. He would have got well over $3M, likely over $4M. That’s why Edmonton didn’t qualify him.

I wouldn’t be opposed to a cheap contract for AA. Definite upside, and low risk.

dunno, the fan base didn't sound thrilled with him or sad to see him go. 

2 hours ago, Robert Long said:

Detroit was happy to let him go and Edmonton didn't give him a QO. That screams of potential. bad attitude issues. I'd rather spend on more defence. 

Definitely get where you’re coming from.

I just can’t ignore the fact that he’s still young and only one season removed from a 30 goal season.  If he finds his groove again and blinds opponents with his speed with Virtanen, then we might have that prolific bottom 6 scoring that we’ve been craving.  Furthermore, we would no longer have to make apologies over Pearson-Horvat-Eriksson being a 2nd line $&!# down line.  It would be 2A shut down and 2B Scoring.  

For AA, much like Barrie, gets a shot to redeem his value before hitting the open market again in what would hopefully be a post Covid world.

#BuyLow

ps - having said all this, I don’t think AA can be had for 1.5.  He’ll be atleast 3 I think.

This guy looked so solid during his 30 goal campaign - like a player that had broken out and was gonna be a solid goal 30 goal winger. So quick. Obviously Ken Holland agreed and paid the price for him. What the heck happened last year? I could see him looking really good on Horvat's left wing if he could bounce back. Hard to tell what he could demand after a poor season; but I wouldn't be against offering him a 1 year. Also a former teammate of Bo's during his OHL rookie year.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

If he's that bad defensively, the Barrie comparison is even more accurate.  Hard no.

50 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Definitely get where you’re coming from.

I just can’t ignore the fact that he’s still young and only one season removed from a 30 goal season.  If he finds his groove again and blinds opponents with his speed with Virtanen, then we might have that prolific bottom 6 scoring that we’ve been craving.  Furthermore, we would no longer have to make apologies over Pearson-Horvat-Eriksson being a 2nd line $&!# down line.  It would be 2A shut down and 2B Scoring.  

For AA, much like Barrie, gets a shot to redeem his value before hitting the open market again in what would hopefully be a post Covid world.

#BuyLow

ps - having said all this, I don’t think AA can be had for 1.5.  He’ll be atleast 3 I think.

it would be a concern for me that he would just clash with Green if his commitment to defensive play wasn't there. He'd end up being a high priced Goldy. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

Edmonton gave up 2 second round picks to acquire him so I would sign him just for the potential of peeing Edmonton off. I think you can get him on a 1 year contract for $1.5M and we could certainly use his speed.

we traded a 2nd round pick and a decent prospect who probably holds a 2nd round pick value right now...traded that for Toffoli for basically the same amount of games.

AA is a 1yr league min.-1m contract.

• 1 month later...
On 10/15/2020 at 4:15 PM, YEGCanuck said:

I'm in the why not give him a shot camp. At one mil for one year it would be a reasonable risk.

It would work well for both parties.   The Canucks bring in a youngish guy for dirt cheap, while AA gets a chance to redeem his value and hit the open market again post Covid.   We can’t lose sight of the fact that AA has popped in 30 goals before.

Hoffman would be a much better add obviously but the Canucks will be hard pressed to clear enough cap to accommodate him.

I think we are still in cap-clearing mode.

Just look at the quality of players we decided not to re-sign.

This upcoming covid-crushed season is the time to clean up as much of the old crap that is taking up cap space as possible.

Also, some things, like bonuses, are better paid this year so as not to become a problem moving forward.

And next year, we can look forward to the end of The Luongo Curse, LE's contract expiry, LTIR and bonuses caught up, etc.

I'm looking forward to James Jet-Black Benning, GM Unleashed!

That said, if we do end up with room, perhaps from some relief coming out of NHL/NHLPA negotiations, and can get AA very cheap, it might be worth it.

There may be much better players (read RHD) available during this crunch if we have room to take on their salaries, e.g. Schmidt for a 3rd, plus eat his contract.

I don't think we should 'waste' any cap space at this time on flyers; we are better than that now and don't have to scrape the absolute bottom of the barrel.

We have a nice combination of attributes that will attract players to Vancouver; (Vancouver itself, Canada over the US, Covid control and care better in BC, young, talented, and upwardly-mobile team, honest and forth-right management, emphasis on character, family, overall well-being beyond the player/team relationship, etc, etc.)

I think JB & Co are trying to be as fully-prepared to pounce on Covid-crushed cap-strapped teams like Tampa for example, who, so far anyway, have to do something soon.

Query:  Is Tampa going to work a deal with Stevie Y?  Detroit has everything Tampa needs and vice-versa.

• Thanks 1