The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Racist attacks against Mi'kmaw fishers

thejazz97

3 hours ago, Robert Long said:

I don't think so. The court likely wouldn't hear the case, they've already left it up to the two groups to work out. Thats part of the whole nation to nation thing, you have to work things like this out.

I think that's where this really gets complicated. If a mediator steps in, it doesn't really solve the problem as either one (or neither) side will be happy with the outcome. If the 2 sides are left to figure it out, that also means people have to have an open mind and that's far from easy.

16 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I think that's where this really gets complicated. If a mediator steps in, it doesn't really solve the problem as either one (or neither) side will be happy with the outcome. If the 2 sides are left to figure it out, that also means people have to have an open mind and that's far from easy.

I don't know if it will be that hard, tbh. The ruling stated "moderate" so a pretty easy interpretation is something around the average income of a commercial fisherman in that area. At least thats a place to begin. 

Have to wonder what the RCMP response would be if hundreds of Indigenous folks were on the rampage using violence, arson, and property destruction to terrorize a local fishing community?

Sad to say it, but if you reversed the groups, I expect we’d have already have riot police and tactical units, tear gas, submachine guns, armoured vehicles, and “lethal overwatch” orders.

Maybe I’m wrong, but it definitely seems like the RCMP has no problem putting together a full scale paramilitary response to Indigenous protests, like the Wet’suwet’en blockade, even when those protests tend to represent a lesser threat to public safety than what we’re seeing in Nova Scotia right now.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Have to wonder what the RCMP response would be if hundreds of Indigenous folks were on the rampage using violence, arson, and property destruction to terrorize a local fishing community?

Sad to say it, but if you reversed the groups, I expect we’d have already have riot police and tactical units, tear gas, submachine guns, armoured vehicles, and “lethal overwatch” orders.

Maybe I’m wrong, but it definitely seems like the RCMP has no problem putting together a full scale paramilitary response to Indigenous protests, like the Wet’suwet’en blockade, even when those protests tend to represent a lesser threat to public safety than what we’re seeing in Nova Scotia right now.

I don't think you're wrong at all. I think that's exactly what would happen.....<_<

9 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

You guys are silly, armed protests in the U.S and Canada are for white folks only.

Thats is called exercising your rights, when black, brown, indigenous etc. people do that is called terrorism and national security threat.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Just typical Ottawa response wetsuweten they go all jack boot on them.The RCMP commissioner is a joke

18 minutes ago, Violator said:

Just typical Ottawa response wetsuweten they go all jack boot on them.The RCMP commissioner is a joke

Oil is much more important than Lobster.........     don't mess with the govenments dirty  sludge money.....

Edited by kingofsurrey

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Oil is much more important than Lobster.........     don't mess with the govenments dirty  sludge money.....

Lobster used to be more valuable than oil then Canada did the same thing and &^@#ed everyone involved.

That's why BC has no political power and all of the politicians are garbage.

Edited by Violator

• 3 weeks later...

Mi’kmaq not only become 50% owners of the company but expect to hold Clearwater’s Canadian fishing licences within a fully Mi’kmaq owned partnership. This collective investment by First Nations in Clearwater represents the single largest investment in the seafood industry by any Indigenous group in Canada. Each of Paqtnkek, Pictou Landing, Potlotek, Sipekne’katik, and We’koqma’q have confirmed their intention to participate with Membertou and Miawpukek in this historic investment.”

Clearwater is one of North America’s largest vertically-integrated seafood companies and the largest holder of shellfish licenses and quotas in Canada.

https://www.nsbuzz.ca/life/clearwater-seafoods-was-just-acquired-for-1-billion-by-a-mikmaq-first-nations-coalition-premium-brands/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Mi’kmaq not only become 50% owners of the company but expect to hold Clearwater’s Canadian fishing licences within a fully Mi’kmaq owned partnership. This collective investment by First Nations in Clearwater represents the single largest investment in the seafood industry by any Indigenous group in Canada. Each of Paqtnkek, Pictou Landing, Potlotek, Sipekne’katik, and We’koqma’q have confirmed their intention to participate with Membertou and Miawpukek in this historic investment.”

Clearwater is one of North America’s largest vertically-integrated seafood companies and the largest holder of shellfish licenses and quotas in Canada.

https://www.nsbuzz.ca/life/clearwater-seafoods-was-just-acquired-for-1-billion-by-a-mikmaq-first-nations-coalition-premium-brands/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

wow. What a great result to this whole thing. 

I wonder how the commercial fishermen that sell to Clearwater feel about working for the Mi'kmaq? :P 

• Haha 1