The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jayce Hawryluk | #13 | C/RW

-AJ-

On 2/27/2021 at 6:02 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

No point having a guy in your lineup if he plays 3 minutes, even if we're chasing the game the whole time. 9-10 minutes for Virtanen and Gaudette on their bad nights, I understand, but you might as well dress a 7th defenceman if you're playing a guy 3 minutes.

I didn't mean to quote you but

what ever happened to Jayce Hawryluk?

did he not show enough in his 3 minutes 3 games ago

or 

Is he re-injured like Ferland?

or was it the 1 give away in 6 shifts that showed The Green Monster all he needed to see?

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I think I have him in over Roussel from now on. 

what is it you see in Hawryluk?

he has played 1/3 the games of Jake and Rooster

playing at a 6points per 30 game pace

while Jake and Roosty are 4/30 pace

Rooster is more physical and kills penalties and LEADS THE TEAM IN +/-

Hawryluk seems to lose the puck at about the same rate Jake does

14 minutes ago, lmm said:

Good speed and finishes his checks. Could turn into a poor man's right shot Tyler Motte.

Both speedy undersized guys who can get in on the forecheck and put pressure on the opposing d.

Roussel is just running around going through the motions with no plan seemingly. He likes to show he is hustling and chugging when he skates but he doesn't accomplish much of anything.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Chip Kelly said:

Good speed and finishes his checks. Could turn into a poor man's right shot Tyler Motte.

Both speedy undersized guys who can get in on the forecheck and put pressure on the opposing d.

Roussel is just running around going through the motions with no plan seemingly. He likes to show he is hustling and chugging when he skates but he doesn't accomplish much of anything.

with Bubble Demko now being a dictionary term

at least on Sportsnet

I gotta say I liked Bubble Motter better than this years version

maybe its the injuries, maybe its just not sustainable

Motte on the PP the other night, and Motte on Petey's wing earlier in the year did not look good

but Bubble Motter, I'd like some more of that

I'd trade our entire bottom 6 +Loui+Baerts for Kyle Lowrey, or whatever that guy's name is in Winnerpig

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/21/2021 at 2:03 PM, lmm said:

Way more lately.  Jake hasn't been that bad defensively lately. B)

23 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I hope we bring Hawlyruk, Vessey, Boyd back, to go along with Highmore and Motte on our bottom 6.  Having the ability to shuffle the deck with high energy guys when things go stale will be huge.

I think Hawryluk has been a good addition to the bottom 6 and deserves serious consideration to be brought back.

I'm on the fence about Vesey and haven't seen enough of Boyd or Highmore.  Highmore is under contract next season so I assume he'll be given every opportunity to compete for a spot.  At this stage I would not mind the Canucks bringing back Vesey but at some point they also need to promote from within so I'm OK if they don't bring him back.

I suspect a lot will depend on Beagle's health and whether that factors into a re-signing of Sutter.  I assume Lind will also be provided an opportunity to make the jump to the NHL in a bottom 6 role too so there should be a lot of competition in the bottom 6.  Should also include Virtanen in the conversation about competition in the bottom 6 since it remains to be seen if the team will be able to move him this offseason or if he's left exposed in expansion and picked by the Kraken.

39 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I think Hawryluk has been a good addition to the bottom 6 and deserves serious consideration to be brought back.

I'm on the fence about Vesey and haven't seen enough of Boyd or Highmore.  Highmore is under contract next season so I assume he'll be given every opportunity to compete for a spot.  At this stage I would not mind the Canucks bringing back Vesey but at some point they also need to promote from within so I'm OK if they don't bring him back.

I suspect a lot will depend on Beagle's health and whether that factors into a re-signing of Sutter.  I assume Lind will also be provided an opportunity to make the jump to the NHL in a bottom 6 role too so there should be a lot of competition in the bottom 6.  Should also include Virtanen in the conversation about competition in the bottom 6 since it remains to be seen if the team will be able to move him this offseason or if he's left exposed in expansion and picked by the Kraken.

With word of our AHL team potentially moving west, the ability to move some of these depth guys up and down.  Obviously some of the guys currently have won;t pan out, but I do like the direction JB is heading with that bottom 6 group.

On 3/20/2021 at 9:56 PM, Junkyard Dog said:

I think I have him in over Roussel from now on. 

I'll take another 10 games to agree or disagree with you, too early to tell

Mute point though, looks like Roussel is out for a while

1 hour ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

I'll take another 10 games to agree or disagree with you, too early to tell

Mute point though, looks like Roussel is out for a while

Looks done for season, very similar to his knee injury from before. Can't confirm, but isn't that that same leg he had operated on before? It folded baaaaddd...I love Rooster but this may be the end of the line if his knee is toast. Feel for him, you can tell he cares and wants to win. But sometimes the body just lets you know when you're done. His rough style of hockey has finally caught up to him.

Side note, speaking of rough hockey, Beagle is in the same boat. A lot of hard bottom 6 grinder miles on him too. It's rare for those guys to stay in the NHL past 35, just so much wear and tear. But they leave it all out on the ice, no regrets i'm sure.

Still miss Dorsett too

As much as all these guys deserved to get paid, I hope we don't keep shelling out big bucks for early 30's grinders, as the decline in them is just too steep. I get why they brought these guys in, and don't dispute that they have helped our young guys out. But hopefully we can replace our bottom 6 ranks with quality affordable depth going forward from here on out. 

• Cheers 2

• 3 weeks later...

I have to admit that I am not a big fan of Jayce.  I think Will Lockwood is a better option.  He has looked real good in Utica this season.  I haven't been Will's biggest supporter but having seen him play in Utica has totally changed my opinion of him. B)

• 2 months later...