The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Staying Competitive while Addressing our top 6 and Defense

First trade VAN - BUF

Van Receives Brandon Montour

Buf Receives Brogan Rafferty a 2021 2nd, 5th and 6th round pick and Jordie Benn 

Why Buffalo does This gets an NHL ready prospect to replace him well shedding some cap space to re-sign Olofsson, well also getting an a good bottom paring guy in Benn to gain some toughness while adding picks to stockpile the cupboard

Why Vancouver Does this, We are getting a very underrated guy who Can be a perfect fit on RHD for us 

trade #2

VAN - OTT

Van Receives a 2023 7th

OTT Receives Loui Eriksson and a  2021 1st Round pick 

Why Vancouver does this, We get to dump loui finally  

Why Ottawa does this Get a 1st round pick while being cap complaint while only having to pay him a salary of $1Mill                                                                                                                       

Sign Mike Hoffman to a 1 year 6,000,00 Deal Hoffman has said he would take a 1 year deal while van has shown interest in him                   

Line up

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Hoffman

Roussel Gaudette Virtanen 

Motte Beagle Hawryluk

Hughes Myers

Edler Schmidt 

Juolevi Montour

Demko

Holtby 

This is works cap wise is well assuming baertschi and sutter are buried in the minors and Ferland is LTIR

Edited by CanucksCountry

10 minutes ago, CanucksCountry said:

First trade VAN - BUF

Why Buffalo does This gets an NHL ready prospect to replace him well shedding some cap space to re-sign Olofsson, well also getting an a good bottom paring guy in Benn to gain some toughness while adding picks to stockpile the cupboard

Why Vancouver Does this, We are getting a very underrated guy who Can be a perfect fit on RHD for us 

trade #2

VAN - OTT

Van Receives a 2023 7th

Why Ottawa does this Get a 1st round pick while being cap complaint while only having to pay him a salary of $1Mill                                                                                                                       

Sign Mike Hoffman to a 1 year 6,000,00 Deal Hoffman has said he would take a 1 year deal while van has shown interest in him                   

Line up

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Hoffman

Motte Beagle Hawryluk

Hughes Myers

Edler Schmidt 

Juolevi Montour

Demko

Holtby 

This is works cap wise is well assuming baertschi and sutter are buried in the minors and Ferland is LTIR

I like the line up

don't want to use our 2021 first....I would be ok with the 2022 1st

and what did you do with Sutter?

Edited by janisahockeynut

Montour is not good in his own end (too high-risk, high-reward in his play) plus I'd be happy to give an emerging young, cheap D in Rafferty a chance instead of trading another high pick and a decent blue-liner for another near-$4 million asset whose contract expires after this year.  Either that or we free up cap and sign Vatanen or Hamonic.  Trading Benn also leaves us dangerously reliant on youth (Juolevi, Rathbone, Montour are all more offensively inclined, and without a safety blanket to help lock things down we could go back to leaving our goalies out to dry again),

Re: the second trade, I think the team is also settled on the fact that we'd be sticking with the vets so they would rather not incur a loss in future assets e.g. a 1st to dump him.  The team could also paper him and Baertschi down to create needed cap space without losing more futures.

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I like the line up

don't want to use our 2021 first....I would be ok with the 2022 1st

and what did you do with Sutter?

I would prefer a 2022 1st is well but i have feeling ottawa would say 21 or bust as for sutter he is buried in the minors with Bear 

• Cheers 1

1st trade is not good for Buffalo at all; Rafferty is a fringe AHL player. Benn has negative value. 

2nd trade it should have happened a long time ago. Either Benning doesn't want to part with a 1st round pick or other teams think an Eriksson trade's price is 1st round plus more. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CanucksCountry said:

First trade VAN - BUF

trade #2

VAN - OTT

Van Receives a 2023 7th

Line up

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Hoffman

Motte Beagle Hawryluk

Hughes Myers

Edler Schmidt 

Juolevi Montour

Demko

Holtby 

These deals will never happen, maybe EA Hockey 2020.... Will not be giving up 2021 - 1st rounder --No Way......

9 hours ago, Drakrami said:

1st trade is not good for Buffalo at all; Rafferty is a fringe AHL player. Benn has negative value. 

2nd trade it should have happened a long time ago. Either Benning doesn't want to part with a 1st round pick or other teams think an Eriksson trade's price is 1st round plus more. 

Rafferty was an AHL all-star and deservedly so as a rookie.  Hardly a fringe AHL player. 
I agree though that these are not good trades. 
Tampa is holding up any cap clearing moves. Nobody wants to end up with Louie when can get 2 useful pieces from Tampa.

I don’t like the idea of giving up another first rounder but this year scouting is going to be incredibly poor as Covid has really screwed up junior. Is going to be even more of a crap shoot than usual. May not be a bad year for trading pics for young players or even for cap dumps.  Even that being considered though I suspect the price for cap dumps will just be too high, there are so few teams with money and without a restrictive internal cap that they would be stupid not to try to absolutely raid Tampa. 

Here is my proposal to fix our D and top 6:

TB

Joulevi

Benn (TB waives and Benn costs less than 1 mill in AHL)

2022 2nd , up for debate

Van

Cernak-No need to explain why we would want him- huge 23 YO rd, 6'3 230 lb

Johnson- put up 40 point pace playing 16 mins on 3rd line over past 2 years with very minimal PP time.  Could easily be 55-60 in our top 6.  Expose to Seattle.

-If we bury LE and Baertschi in AHL, trade Benn in the above deal, and Ferland goes LTIR we have 8 mill to spend, enough to work both those guys into the lineup. 

-TB gets a solid NHL ready D prospect and saves over 3 mill to sign Cernak 

Miller-EP-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Johnson

Edler-Schmidt

Hughes-Cernak

Rathbone/Rafferty-Myers

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, BCNate said:

TB

Joulevi

2022 2nd , up for debate

Van

Johnson- put up 40 point pace playing 16 mins on 3rd line over past 2 years with very minimal PP time.  Could easily be 55-60 in our top 6.  Expose to Seattle.

-If we bury LE and Baertschi in AHL, trade Benn in the above deal, and Ferland goes LTIR we have 8 mill to spend, enough to work both those guys into the lineup. 

Miller-EP-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Johnson

Edler-Schmidt

Hughes-Cernak

Rathbone/Rafferty-Myers

The guy that started this post wanting Montour, giving up 2nd round pick and prospect in first trade --crazy post..

Second trade

Then wants to dump Erickson's contact and give up  1st rounder to Ottawa-- Not happening... NO NO NO.

Only 1st rounders f there a very good prospect in return- example Miller...Cant trade high picks way... 

Like Tampa trade  - Cernak 6'3, 23 - played over 21 mins in 2020 playoffs.. Surprise teams are not offer sheeting Cernak and they have 2 other RFA'S that teams could go after... Tampa has to make room all there good RFA player under 24 will demand 4 million or more foe each player ?? 

That is 12 -14 million with just those 3 players to sign ? They only have 3 million cap room???? Watch things in Tampa unfold....

Edited by wildcam

4 hours ago, BCNate said:

TB

Joulevi

2022 2nd , up for debate

Van

Miller-EP-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Johnson

Edler-Schmidt

Hughes-Cernak

Rathbone/Rafferty-Myers

I'd Personally really love Cernak and would love to find a way to get him 

12 hours ago, wildcam said:

The guy that started this post wanting Montour, giving up 2nd round pick and prospect in first trade --crazy post..

Second trade

Then wants to dump Erickson's contact and give up  1st rounder to Ottawa-- Not happening... NO NO NO.

Only 1st rounders f there a very good prospect in return- example Miller...Cant trade high picks way... 

Like Tampa trade  - Cernak 6'3, 23 - played over 21 mins in 2020 playoffs.. Surprise teams are not offer sheeting Cernak and they have 2 other RFA'S that teams could go after... Tampa has to make room all there good RFA player under 24 will demand 4 million or more foe each player ?? 

That is 12 -14 million with just those 3 players to sign ? They only have 3 million cap room???? Watch things in Tampa unfold....

The first trade is fairly realistic according to my friends that are sabers fans, the 2nd trade a 1st is Magical beans we get rid of a lazy player and bring in a guy with that cap space to score 30 goals you cant sit here and tell me a top 6 of Miller  Pettersson Boeser. Pearson Horvat Hoffman does not sound like one of the best top 6s in the league 

12 hours ago, CanucksCountry said:

I'd Personally really love Cernak and would love to find a way to get him 

Me too.  Even if it costs us Pearson for this year to find a way.  Even it it sets us back a little this year.  A guy like Cernak is a huge missing piece for this team. If we had him, Hughes, Schmidt, Edler, Myers, Rathbone/Rafferty/Joulevi we would be set on D.

Thanks OP for trying -  but that’s probably not enough to rid us of LE - his agent has kicked all the tires and including what the ask might be and not one team has had interest in that (so far).   It’s two years so one first doesn’t line up with recent market values and with Covid those have amped up.  The ask for HALF of MAF cap hit, or 3.5 for two years was a first and second.  Think a first and two seconds or two firsts as a starting point.  Maybe next off season a team will bite but this year the cost would be enormous.   And on that note I think next off season things are going to start separating at the seams ... too many RFAs up for a raise and too many UFAs out of work right and a whole bunch added to the pile next year - the cost to dump LE would almost certainly be exorbitant.   MAF is the ideal teammate and still a good goalie.   LE is ok at the PK and empty net situations and that’s about it...

Thanks for playing but we are stuck with LE unless he packs it in which I highly doubt he will with 4 million owed his final year. 

Edit:  On this note I think this is a good time for the league to take a hard look at their structure. It entirely depends on rising revenues year to year.  Qualifying offers even will put tremendous pressure on teams ... there is a finite cap tolerance.   It’s creating a feudal or class system on each team where the stars get overpaid for their production and the middle class is getting squeezed more and more.  Players that still have a lot to offer are retiring early, and GMs are forced to find guys to play to balance the books.   I hope we are finally done for expansion.   Teams shouldn’t have to wait a decade for playoffs, it’s ridiculous really.  Wish there were only 6 teams a division... chances to win a cup is more about luck than anything at this point.   And the talent level isn’t what it used to be in the 80’s and 90’s - that’s why they call it the “Golden Era” of hockey.   When stars from that era in their 30’s are out shining the next generation that says something right there.    Imagine if all fourth liners were current third liners and middle four D’s were third pairing guys....that’s what it used to be like despite enforcers added to the mix. 

Edited by IBatch