The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NJ - TB - Van (Proposal/Discussion)

Nolan Foote  To Vancouver

Jet Woo + Kole Lind + Antoine Roussel + Tyler Johnson + TB 2nd To  NJ

Miles Woods at 50% ($1,875,000) To Tampa

Ok, so you are saying Why? Well, New Jerseys needs players, and Both Johnson and Roussel can still play, but Van and Tampa both need to clear cap, now yes, Tampa gets Woods but at a very reduced rate, far below his ability, so Tampa can move or keep him. New Jersey gets 2 - 2nd/3rd line players, who will both play at some time in the future.

Vancouver gets Foote who has been playing very well in the minors and will fill in our future LW along with Hoglander and is closer to being ready, than drafting one, next year, if we do. This long term allows Miller to jump in anywhere in the lineup. This makes our Forward group deep. and full of ELC's.

Miller              Pettersson        Boeser

Hoglander        Horvat            Podkolzin

Foote              Gaudette         Virtanen

Motte              MacEwen         Bailey

XXXXX           Karlsson         Jasek

XXXXX          Zlodeyev          Lockwood

----------------------------------------------------      

Keppen         McDonough        XXXXX

Kunz                  Focht              Michaelis

Gadjovich         XXXXX            Malone

I will also say, I think we are set on LHD with Hughes, Juolevi and Rathbone, who IMO will all be solid NHL contributors

And with Myers, Schmidt, and Rafferty, we will be better off short term. But needing to fill some spots long term on RHD

With Goaltending....IMO we are set with Demko and DiPietro

But getting back on point, the addition of Foote fills in a huge void as a top potential LWer, and moving on from Roussel, moves cap we need this year and next. IMO, as much as it hurts to loose Lind, we are loosing from a position of strength...............

Just thought I would float the idea out there

Roast away!

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

Cal Foote is a D.

Nolan Foote is the LW.  He is NJD property - they specifically targeted him in the Blake Coleman trade.  Fitzgerald sees him as a top-6 LW with either Hischier or Hughes for years to come.

Don't see much appeal in the trade for NJD.  This deal just wastes all their cap space on non impact players.  It's more interesting for them to get into a trade like the one that got NYI to part with Toews.  Cap space and finances are going to continue to be tight for a while - teams with cap space will continue to have good opportunity to take advantage.

They might as well just keep Woods over Roussel - lower cap hit and younger and also 2 years to his deal.  Johnson is too far away in age from their core and he has too much term left - teams taking him can't trade him at the TDL to get a draft pick back.  Same issue for Roussel where they are stuck with a 3M player when there are better ways to spend that kind of cap space.

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

Cal Foote  To Vancouver

Ok, so you are saying Why? Well, New Jerseys needs players, and Both Johnson and Roussel can still play, but Van and Tampa both need to clear cap, now yes, Tampa gets Woods but at a very reduced rate, far below his ability, so Tampa can move or keep him. New Jersey gets 2 - 2nd/3rd line players, who will both play at some time in the future.

Vancouver gets Foote who has been playing very well in the minors and will fill in our future LW along with Hoglander and is closer to being ready, than drafting one, next year, if we do. This long term allows Miller to jump in anywhere in the lineup. This makes our Forward group deep. and full of ELC's.

I will also say, I think we are set on LHD with Hughes, Juolevi and Rathbone, who IMO will all be solid NHL contributors

And with Myers, Schmidt, and Rafferty, we will be better off short term. But needing to fill some spots long term on RHD

But getting back on point, the addition of Foote fills in a huge void as a top potential LWer, and moving on from Roussel, moves cap we need this year and next. IMO, as much as it hurts to loose Lind, we are loosing from a position of strength...............

Roast away!

Sorry Foote a winger and we don't need a winger, rather have his older brother big 6'5 D man..

EA HOCKEY 2020 TYPE TRADE....

46 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Sorry Foote a winger and we don't need a winger, rather have his older brother big 6'5 D man..

EA HOCKEY 2020 TYPE TRADE....

Sorry to disagree with you but yes, we do need another top end LWer.....there is a hole there

and I did slip up on the first name and got his brothers.....it has been corrected

8 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Sorry to disagree with you but yes, we do need another top end LWer.....there is a hole there

and I did slip up on the first name and got his brothers.....it has been corrected

Sorry disagree, if we are going to make a trade for a young prospect we want another center or D man?? We have several winger prospects coming along..

We have Podkolzin, Hoglander, Lind to be top 6 player...I forgot the Foote brothers names also, Cal Foote 22, 6'4 D Tampa,  Nolan Foote 6'4, 20, winger faded to N.J Devils.... I would prefer Cal watched both of these brothers in WHL, I really like Cal dominated games on defence.. 

We could also use depth at center but no panic...Keep on path we make great trade for Nate Schmidt I have like this 29 year olds skill for last 4 years..

So excited to see Schmidt wear blue #88 and show is skill and log 23-- 25 minutes per game playing against other teams top lines. PP and PK..

Kole Lind had way better numbers than Nolan Foote in Kelowna.  He's much more advanced as a prospect and could even step into the lineup as early as next year.  If Virtanen gets traded Lind could take up that 3rd line RW spot.  He also can take faceoffs and has a good 200' game.  Jett Woo is also a top prospect who needs 2-3 years in Utica to develop his NHL game.  But he could be a beauty when he gets to the NHL.  So not sure why you'd want to trade both of them to get Nolan Foote, who is barely a point a game player in junior.

Cal Foote the defenceman on the other hand is a stud.  He actually had more points as a Dman in Kelowna than his brother who is a winger.  He will be a top 4 Dman in the NHL.  Unfortunately I don't think Tampa is interested in trading him as he will step into their lineup next year on a cheap ELC contract.  And they may have to trade Cernak to get under the cap so Foote will be desperately needed by Tampa as he plays the right side.  The guy to go after is Cernak.  Tampa has no cap space to sign him and they still need to sign Sergachev and Cirelli.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Kole Lind had way better numbers than Nolan Foote in Kelowna.  He's much more advanced as a prospect and could even step into the lineup as early as next year.  If Virtanen gets traded Lind could take up that 3rd line RW spot.  He also can take faceoffs and has a good 200' game.  Jett Woo is also a top prospect who needs 2-3 years in Utica to develop his NHL game.  But he could be a beauty when he gets to the NHL.  So not sure why you'd want to trade both of them to get Nolan Foote, who is barely a point a game player in junior.

Cal Foote the defenceman on the other hand is a stud.  He actually had more points as a Dman in Kelowna than his brother who is a winger.  He will be a top 4 Dman in the NHL.  Unfortunately I don't think Tampa is interested in trading him as he will step into their lineup next year on a cheap ELC contract.  And they may have to trade Cernak to get under the cap so Foote will be desperately needed by Tampa as he plays the right side.  The guy to go after is Cernak.  Tampa has no cap space to sign him and they still need to sign Sergachev and Cirelli.

News flash. Vancouver doesn’t have the cap space for Cernak either 

It’s possible that either Lind or Woo end up better players then both the Foote brothers.   Lind is NHL ready right now too - with the expansion draft looming I’d like to see him play a dozen games or more before sending him off on a prospect swap.    Woo has some very strong support too - the Hockey Writers put him in their top hundred prospect list, in the low 80’s - one spot ahead of OJ actually.   They feel he’s a lock for a top four RHD NHL spot at his current pace.   

These sort of trades are always a gamble - personally I’d rather keep two potential NHLers over swapping for a higher ranked prospect - unless that guys a for sure slam dunk which at this point is more then debatable.   Woo and Foote (LW) are about the same wait time.   Kole Lind is ready to play right now.   He’s a two way forward as well- definitely not a one trick pony.    Has middle six potential with upside for top six still.   And aside from Rafferty (who we could easily lose at the ED), we don’t have any other RHDs worth talking about...

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They do if Ferland goes on LTIR...

Yep.   As it is now all we have to do is waive a couple guys and we meet cap.   After the season starts if Ferland is on the LTIR then we could make another move - but not until it’s started.   Also see is running a shorter bench.   22-23 guys to help make cap.   Not a big deal. That said any other moves before the start of the season has to include cap going back...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Yep.   As it is now all we have to do is waive a couple guys and we meet cap.   After the season starts if Ferland is on the LTIR then we could make another move - but not until it’s started.   Also see is running a shorter bench.   22-23 guys to help make cap.   Not a big deal. That said any other moves before the start of the season has to include cap going back...

Agreed.  We call up Hawryluk and waive Baertschi and at the start of the season we put Ferland on LTIR then we will have $2 million in cap space.  We could simply call up Rafferty to fill the last D spot or sign a guy like Hamonic on a one year deal.  I think alot of teams are waiting on Tampa to make their first move.  If we could somehow trade for Cernak and take a player off their roster so they can sign Sergachev and Cirelli then that would be the perfect plan as we get Quinn's partner for the next decade.  We'd probably have to take on Tyler Johnson's contract in order to get Cernak, so we'd need someone to take Loui off our hands.  It would need to be a 3 way deal.  We give up picks to get rid of Loui and we take on Johnson and get Cernak in the deal.  Basically the deal would be switching Loui for Johnson and then trading picks for Cernak.  It would be complicated but well worth it in my opinion as we don't have a player in our system like Cernak and he would be the perfect partner for Quinn.  We could even recover some of those picks in the summer by trading Virtanen and having Lind take his spot.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Agreed.  We call up Hawryluk and waive Baertschi and at the start of the season we put Ferland on LTIR then we will have $2 million in cap space.  We could simply call up Rafferty to fill the last D spot or sign a guy like Hamonic on a one year deal.  I think alot of teams are waiting on Tampa to make their first move.  If we could somehow trade for Cernak and take a player off their roster so they can sign Sergachev and Cirelli then that would be the perfect plan as we get Quinn's partner for the next decade.  We'd probably have to take on Tyler Johnson's contract in order to get Cernak, so we'd need someone to take Loui off our hands.  It would need to be a 3 way deal.  We give up picks to get rid of Loui and we take on Johnson and get Cernak in the deal.  Basically the deal would be switching Loui for Johnson and then trading picks for Cernak.  It would be complicated but well worth it in my opinion as we don't have a player in our system like Cernak and he would be the perfect partner for Quinn.  We could even recover some of those picks in the summer by trading Virtanen and having Lind take his spot.

Yeah it’s possible.  Kudos to the OP for consistency on his trade proposals - a lot of different ideas get shaken out as a result - and overall he actually does a good job too.   Not an easy thing making a proposal that helps both teams and hurts at the same time - those ones typically seem the most realistic.   Tampa Bay has been in the same position as CHI used to be for quite some time - that is losing good players as a result of success and great drafting.  

One thing to consider about any of their players is do they look good because they actually are good - or do they look good as a result of their overall team.   Quite a few teams didn’t do well with whom they picked away from CHI and some took home massive bank - as in Byfuglien.    How good is Cernak really? Gudbranson looked like a keeper when we traded for him .... pro scouting comes into play here - we did over the top well with Miller.  Only 26...on a great contract - another “Horvat” was my response at the time - however he even exceeded that expectation to a degree (Horvat with EP would look pretty darn awesome too - EP is just that good).

Point is going to cash in big-time next year ... there goes another 2.5 maybe 3 in cap space for TB.   They might have to choose between a few of their guys or just start waiving more then Tyler Johnson and try playing with a minimal roster (it is an option for them).   

On Tyler.   He’s a proven top six guy.   Given a top line role he produces, wouldn’t be the worst thing for us if we could afford him.   The fact that nobody picked him up though speaks volumes to current events.  Cap is GOD right now.    I’m just stoked that JB is the only GM the last long while that’s weaponized his picks and cap space the way he has.   Every GM in the league would have lined up for trading a first for Miller in hindsight before the lottery was drawn.   And Schmidt for a third is so lopsided it almost seems fantasy. 

I bring that up because so many different proposals get flamed hard, yet history had shown that anything is possible.   Hall for what’s his name again?   That said I don’t see LE going anywhere with two years left.   Maybe a year from now with 50% retained the cost won’t be too bad.   Even then I highly doubt he’s going anywhere- the cost would be a team killler.   Like completely throw a wrench into our future.

Im so happy that JB hasn’t wasted our future chasing unicorns.   The best play - both the safest and the smartest - is to let the cap shed naturally.   17 games might have raised the expectations- but don’t be fooled.  We are still two years out before our core is going to truly both understand what it takes - and I’m fairly confident we have most of what we need already. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm really reluctant to move Woo, our defensive prospect depth has gotten better thanks to this past draft but our RD prospect depth is still absolutely hurting. 

I think Lind is also slept on as a prospect, I fully expect him to make the team and play a third line role over the next couple seasons. As mentioned, Lind has better WHL numbers than Foote and he's further along in his development and more likely to step in and compliment our young core. He's also shown the ability to produce at the AHL level when given the opportunity. Historically he's gotten better after his first season in every league he's played in which bodes well. 

Not sure I'd want to move either of them out, particularly for Nolan Foote. It's not as if Roussel isn't still capable of being a useful player, he was full value his first season and ran into injury trouble last year. Cal Foote would be an amazing acquisition, but given Tampa's cap crunch they'd be incredibly foolish to move him. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

On 11/12/2020 at 11:52 PM, janisahockeynut said:

Nolan Foote  To Vancouver

Roast away!

New Jersey says no and we we give up away to much for what we get.

Having said that you would be better making a deal directly to TB for Cernak Lets say take on Tyler Johnson  plus Cernak for Rafferty. Then open some cap space by Trading LE + Hoglander plus a second round pick to Ottawa for Gaborik. Gaborik can than go on IR and then you get cap space needed. Sign Cernak for 3 mil.

Miller      Pettersson   Boeser

Person     Horvat        Johnson

Roussel    Gaudette   Virtanen

Motte         Beagle       Sutter 

MacEwen 

Hughes     Cernak

Edler         Schmidt

Juolevi       Myers

Brisebois     Benn

Demko     Holtby

Next year JB will have more options for forwards but defense will be fixed. 

On 11/14/2020 at 5:17 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

Maybe a few assumptions here. But then that is what the forum is for.

The team is over the cap now. There are some funny rules with LTIR and when that status is declared. Generally a team can go over by the amount of the contract but if stated too early it cannot. I am not really sure about this as to me it doesn't really make too much sense but it came up with TO wanting another LTIR contract so they could make the cap.

It is looking fairly obvious that the Canucks this year are on a tight budget, spending to the cap but not over. It is too bad because Tampa is ripe and HAS to make a deal. Often one sided trades that GM's have to do is as far away as possible so the player isn't coming back to haunt them very often. Bad news for the Canucks because there is still some friendship between Holland and the Tampa brain trust.

The Oilers will have Kelfbom money soon too so they could easily trade for either Cernak or Sergachev, their window is open and they are all in already. Sergachev and Johnson for Chaisson. They cannot make this deal until one minute after the season starts, they place Kelfbom on LTIR freeing up 4.7 mil, moving Chaisson gives another 2.7 mil, Johnson eats up 5 mil of the 7.7 allowing for a demotion or another trade

• Vintage 1

On 11/17/2020 at 1:13 PM, Lazurus said:

Maybe a few assumptions here. But then that is what the forum is for.

The team is over the cap now. There are some funny rules with LTIR and when that status is declared. Generally a team can go over by the amount of the contract but if stated too early it cannot. I am not really sure about this as to me it doesn't really make too much sense but it came up with TO wanting another LTIR contract so they could make the cap.

It is looking fairly obvious that the Canucks this year are on a tight budget, spending to the cap but not over. It is too bad because Tampa is ripe and HAS to make a deal. Often one sided trades that GM's have to do is as far away as possible so the player isn't coming back to haunt them very often. Bad news for the Canucks because there is still some friendship between Holland and the Tampa brain trust.

The Oilers will have Kelfbom money soon too so they could easily trade for either Cernak or Sergachev, their window is open and they are all in already. Sergachev and Johnson for Chaisson. They cannot make this deal until one minute after the season starts, they place Kelfbom on LTIR freeing up 4.7 mil, moving Chaisson gives another 2.7 mil, Johnson eats up 5 mil of the 7.7 allowing for a demotion or another trade

JB made his “deal” with Schmidt.   Asking for more us fun and worthy of discussion - but not very realistic.   Thankfully he’s not willing to jeopardize the pool we still have and our future to try and dump even Bear - then make a trade with say JV or Pearson do clear enough cap to sign say Hoffman.   

The way Covid is ramping up in the US and with the ED coming this season ... well let’s just say he’s done enough.   Aside from and actual hockey trade or a lateral move that helps both teams (and that isn’t BB, our RW would be toast without him) I don’t see much more happening this year until the season actually gets going - and then depending on how things go.

JB is the only GM the last five years that I can think of, who’s traded a first and a third for a team player on a good contract in his prime - and weaponized his cap space as well has he did with Schmidt.   Sure CAR got TO’s first.   Who did they pick with that and how’s he doing?  Highly doubt it will work out as well as Miller did.   

All we have to do is be patient.  Both as a team and as a fanbase.   A lot of the heavy lifting has already been done aside from EPs and QHs contracts which IMO should now be the priority.   The rest should fall into place.   Maybe re-upping TG as well.  It’s his team, he proved to me beyond a doubt that he’s the right guy for the job this playoffs.  Gets the team ready to play every night, got Pearson back on track and better then ever - didn’t hesitate with BB, EP and QHs .... and plays JV like a fiddle. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

JB made his “deal” with Schmidt.   Asking for more us fun and worthy of discussion - but not very realistic.   Thankfully he’s not willing to jeopardize the pool we still have and our future to try and dump even Bear - then make a trade with say JV or Pearson do clear enough cap to sign say Hoffman.   

^ I think this is true. Some other GM is going to have to show up with a deal Jim can't refuse for any other moves to be made imo.

But thats OK. Schmidt is going to have a huge impact on the d group. All situations player, who can log a lot of minutes. It takes the pressure off Hughes to be the main puck mover. And Benning did it for a bag of magic beans. 

The only major thing left to find out is whats going to happen with Utica and if Loui is on his way there or not. I'm hoping he's getting used to the idea of running a restaurant. 

10 hours ago, IBatch said:

The way Covid is ramping up in the US and with the ED coming this season ... well let’s just say he’s done enough.   Aside from and actual hockey trade or a lateral move that helps both teams (and that isn’t BB, our RW would be toast without him) I don’t see much more happening this year until the season actually gets going - and then depending on how things go.

JB is the only GM the last five years that I can think of, who’s traded a first and a third for a team player on a good contract in his prime - and weaponized his cap space as well has he did with Schmidt.   Sure CAR got TO’s first.   Who did they pick with that and how’s he doing?  Highly doubt it will work out as well as Miller did.   

All we have to do is be patient.  Both as a team and as a fanbase.   A lot of the heavy lifting has already been done aside from EPs and QHs contracts which IMO should now be the priority.   The rest should fall into place.   Maybe re-upping TG as well.  It’s his team, he proved to me beyond a doubt that he’s the right guy for the job this playoffs.  Gets the team ready to play every night, got Pearson back on track and better then ever - didn’t hesitate with BB, EP and QHs .... and plays JV like a fiddle. 

I think one aspect of signing all these players that are close to their 30's or older is they have to be replaced.

Pearson in a trade would be a rental, al JV will get is draft picks or AHL players, because no team will give up roster players fo a 25 goal scorer at the TDL

In another thread you mentioned that Beoser could be offered less than in the CBA because he is a RFA and Canucks should offer him less, so do the same thing with EP and QH, bridge deals with 4 or 5 year contracts structured like Boeser is now, heavily back loaded so their next talks start at 10 mil or so. something like - 4.5 - 5.5 - 7 - 8.5 - 9.5 in salary with a 7 mil cap hit, next contract start with 10 mil, I think with the flat cap 10 or 11 mil will be tops for a long time.

The team only started rebuild 2 seasons ago. That said the Canucks should work out some deal that brings back more younger defencemen, teams get built from the back out.

I await the start of this oddball season. I don't think they are as good as most here think, IMO they are 2nd last by a tiny bit. But then I'll be wrong, Just have to wait and see. The closer to the start the clearer all things Canuck will become.

Edited by Lazurus