The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Miscellaneous Canucks News

Rate this topic

BoKnows

25 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

I dunno if I was betting man your top 4 is easy.

You know it's 23, 7, and Nate. Last guy is probably the giraffe.

That leaves Benn and OJ. Easy. Nate gonna play with 7 because he needs protection. 

Might not end like that but that's how I think she's going to start.

4 + 3 = 7, as in Quinn Hughes (#43)?  Lol interesting nickname for him.

Edited by Phil_314
  • Cheers 2

That Jake quote is telling, here's hoping he can impress this coming season. Definitely sounds like him and Myers are working hard. It also speaks to how well JB and management regard the players coming up behind him. 

Looking forward to Juolevi too, feels like it's been a while since we've had two rookie D get extended looks on the Canucks roster in back to back seasons. But I could be wrong. 

Edited by Coconuts

It would end up being a nice balance on each pairing if we go with the following:

Hughes Myers

Joulevi Schmidt

Edler Rafferty

Those pairings basically would all play the same amount of mins.  If we went more top heavy it would likely be:

Hughes Schmidt

Edler Myers

Joulevi Rafferty

Edited by Kobayashi Maru
  • Like 1

Canucks' ECHL affiliate will not play this season.   Kalamazoo was part of the group that were going to start their season in mid-January.  Teves and Mitch Eliot played a few games in the ECHL last season.

Edited by mll

I'm really excited about the upcoming season.  Hoping the young players trying out / the new recent additions will help increase the pace of play I think the organization wants to see.  Not too concerned with how the season goes unless they tank hard- just want to see potential/improvement from the younger players.  I like gamble by JB and co- hope it pays off.

On 12/5/2020 at 9:27 AM, IBatch said:

Liked that JB again is calling out JV...they obviously (like a lot of us on this site) believe strongly that he’s got the tools ... but given his age (already passed when the majority break out given how many years he’s been on the roster now) and the guys we have coming up (McEwen, Hogs, Lind, and of course Podz) and his new contract and a blue ocean scenario for him without TT in the lineup. 

Plus LE for sure is losing his spot ... either in the press box or doing his “little things” on the fourth line.    JV has and is been given, every opportunity.   Hope he’s still working out every day with Myers and learning what it takes to be a pro.   Kind of sad when you look at a guy like Motte who plays like every game is his last one.   He’s got all the tools.  

To be fair, it's easier said than done to be an elite athlete.  The discipline required in all aspects of life can be very tough to deal with for a young person.  Do I hope Jake gets there?  Certainly, but I would never admonish someone that just didn't have it in them to become an elite athlete.  

7 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

To be fair, it's easier said than done to be an elite athlete.  The discipline required in all aspects of life can be very tough to deal with for a young person.  Do I hope Jake gets there?  Certainly, but I would never admonish someone that just didn't have it in them to become an elite athlete.  

If by that it includes calling someone out publicly then I’m not sure what to say.   Coaches (and any manager), has a toolbox to work with, sure the old styles don’t work like they used too, and haven’t for sometime (Hitchcock had to completely change his style to stay in the league after his Dallas days were over), Torts has also evolved into using more modern motivational tactics.   Reprimanding LE for sure would be a waste of time - he’s all but done other then his ability to take some PK time...but JV?   They did award him a hefty raise - and he does look to have the skill-set.  But they aren’t past warning him he’s close to be passed on by if he doesn’t make it work - not a big deal at all.   The CDC has written a series of books on this by now (venting mostly).  

Or are you saying JV doesn’t have it in him to be an elite athlete and firm handling isn’t appropriate?   I don’t.   I’ve seen first hand how affective not wearing white gloves all the time when dealing with young adults who need a push in the construction industry for decades.    Can sometimes be life changing (and have changed lives and being changed - seen both sides of it).

Not to say I agree about fear and anxiety as the best motivational tactics because I don’t at all (believe you get more out of admiration and respect - teams that would rather go through a brick wall then let their mates and leaders down win) - but for sure there is a time and place for it, especially for the younger players.  

8 hours ago, IBatch said:

If by that it includes calling someone out publicly then I’m not sure what to say.   Coaches (and any manager), has a toolbox to work with, sure the old styles don’t work like they used too, and haven’t for sometime (Hitchcock had to completely change his style to stay in the league after his Dallas days were over), Torts has also evolved into using more modern motivational tactics.   Reprimanding LE for sure would be a waste of time - he’s all but done other then his ability to take some PK time...but JV?   They did award him a hefty raise - and he does look to have the skill-set.  But they aren’t past warning him he’s close to be passed on by if he doesn’t make it work - not a big deal at all.   The CDC has written a series of books on this by now (venting mostly).  

Or are you saying JV doesn’t have it in him to be an elite athlete and firm handling isn’t appropriate?   I don’t.   I’ve seen first hand how affective not wearing white gloves all the time when dealing with young adults who need a push in the construction industry for decades.    Can sometimes be life changing (and have changed lives and being changed - seen both sides of it).

Not to say I agree about fear and anxiety as the best motivational tactics because I don’t at all (believe you get more out of admiration and respect - teams that would rather go through a brick wall then let their mates and leaders down win) - but for sure there is a time and place for it, especially for the younger players.  

I should have been more clear.  What JB said and how TG handles him is fine.  It's all part of developing him as an athlete.

If in the end he doesn't live up to his potential I wouldn't slam him for it.  That's what I mean by easier said than done-its not an easy gig to be an elite athlete.  Yes, I know he could make millions of dollars etc etc but not everyone is wired to have the sort of discipline required.  But I do hope it comes together for him.  

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

I should have been more clear.  What JB said and how TG handles him is fine.  It's all part of developing him as an athlete.

If in the end he doesn't live up to his potential I wouldn't slam him for it.  That's what I mean by easier said than done-its not an easy gig to be an elite athlete.  Yes, I know he could make millions of dollars etc etc but not everyone is wired to have the sort of discipline required.  But I do hope it comes together for him.  

Cheers and rant over ha ha.   I hope he makes it too.   He’s got sick skills.   Watching Motte play every game like it’s his last one hopefully isn’t lost on him (of TG for that matter).  Rewarding production and penalizing non-production is an age old method that works in any world.   The way I see it he has one more chance with us...after that who knows.   For sure he couldn’t be in a better position, all he has to do is play better then LE and McEwen.   The latter of which who I’m sure management is aware was one of our better points per sixty players - plus plays a tough game and isn’t scared to use his size.  

Also want to add this:  On BB.  Noticed he was often the last one on the ice, took hits regularly to make a play and was always doing the “little things” each shift to help his linemates.   For all the criticism he’s faced by some on this site, he’s playing hockey the right way and we are lucky to have him in our top six.   This is regarding the playoffs only.   Played smarter and better then any other R winger we had ...TT and Pearson were both disappointments really - it was for sure the core carrying the mail. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Thanks 1