The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Miscellaneous Canucks News

Rate this topic

BoKnows

Wow, hockey talk. 
So pretty much confirmed the Ferland starts on LTIR. 
As far OJ pairing, Myers should be the answer IMO. 
I would run an elite top pairing, Edler-Rafferty and OJ-Myers. 
Two elite puck movers on first pairing.  Mix of vet and rookies, Edler best defensive back up for Rafferty’s style and Myers and OJ should provide a decent mix of puck moving and D. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Wow, hockey talk. 
Two elite puck movers on first pairing.  Mix of vet and rookies, Edler best defensive back up for Rafferty’s style and Myers and OJ should provide a decent mix of puck moving and D. 

Hughes and Schmidt on the top pairing would be really fun to watch.

I wouldn't mind seeing OJ get some reps in with Schmidt or Hughes.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

9 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Wow, hockey talk. 

I’m curious where Schmidt should go.   Like quite a few folks a Q Hughes pairing with him seems tantalizing.   But I’m hopeful OJ and Schmidt end up forming a titanic two-way pairing myself.   Won’t happen right away of course.    Think it will be OJ and Benn too start. 

5 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

Hughes and Schmidt on the top pairing would be really fun to watch.

I wouldn't mind seeing OJ get some reps in with Schmidt or Hughes.

Jinx.  Didn’t see this yet was making my post...I too want to see OJ get some reps with Schmidt especially 

• Like 1

I’m also very curious what the teams plans are with Rafferty.   Craig Button who’s credentials are up there - as far as prospects go near the top.   He wrote an article almost a year ago now that he feels Rafferty could play in the NHL as a top four right then.   

Was a strong proponent of a complete overhaul of our defense and it for sure looks like it’s starting.   The difference between a young AHL all-star defenseman and an NHL defenseaman is razor thin.   Often when given the chance they make it - Schultz comes to mind right away.   He led PIT first recent cup when Letang was out.    Hope Buttons right of course.  Because IF he is our R side is looking a lot better then it does on paper right now.   OJ will of course get his turn given his draft slot, but I hope guys like Rafferty and Rathbone, and in a year or two Woo also get their shot.  

On Woo.  The Hockey Writers had him as a lock for a top four RHD in their semi-recent top 100 prospects.   One spot AHEAD of OJ.  

A macro view of the next couple of seasons of course has to include the ED.   JB work isn’t quite done as we absolutely have to sign one more guy in our D for one more year (NHL guy like Benn) and expose them.   We also definitely need to see all these guys play some NHL games to make an informed decision on who we dangle.   I’m 100% against of dangling Myers.   Would set us back a lot.  Those guys don’t grow on trees (and he’s an actual tree ha ha - or giraffe).   That said IF we lose Rafferty ... and he ends up like another Schmidt.   Well then JB and TG get a major, major fail. 

Liked that JB again is calling out JV...they obviously (like a lot of us on this site) believe strongly that he’s got the tools ... but given his age (already passed when the majority break out given how many years he’s been on the roster now) and the guys we have coming up (McEwen, Hogs, Lind, and of course Podz) and his new contract and a blue ocean scenario for him without TT in the lineup. 

Plus LE for sure is losing his spot ... either in the press box or doing his “little things” on the fourth line.    JV has and is been given, every opportunity.   Hope he’s still working out every day with Myers and learning what it takes to be a pro.   Kind of sad when you look at a guy like Motte who plays like every game is his last one.   He’s got all the tools.  

• Cheers 2

I listened to the segment about Jake while driving to work the other morning.

Basically said it's tough love...that he knows Jake is capable of doing more and that he shouldn't settle for just doing enough.

Also said in watching Tuch's performance in the playoffs, Jake could use that as motivation to be all that he can be.  To compare notes.

Made reference to settling for 18 goals or pushing harder and having the drive to elevate that every game.

My words, but that was the gist. 

A good thread, I like it.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

Really hoping that Hoglander gets a roster spot with OJ next season.  Loving this youth takeover in Vancouver!

For the love of god put him in the top six, he is an offensive player, putting him in the bottom six I think would crush his confidence always having to play the defensive grind

he should be with petey and J.T or bo and brock 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, apollo said:

So excited for OJ.

The Juolevi era is upon us...

Looks like a young Edler... The only draft Benning didn't run away as the #1 GM was the 2016... only because Olli's development was slow. Watch him become that highly touted top pairing guy and Benning once again will look like a draft god. Or even if he can develop into a 2nd pairing stud, but I got top pairing feeling from Olli.

Long live the great Jim Benning! :towel:

Ya Baby!  Me too.

Gotta think Hughes is number one though, but I love the enthusiasm for Juolevi.

For our top 6 D, in position(L,R), I like:

Hughes,  Schmidt

Edler,  Myers

Juolevi,  Rafferty (I think, but it's a dog fight from RD3, i.e. # 6 down, imo).

Gotta think Bo is excited too; he will have a lot more to work with this year and next.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

Ya Baby!  Me too.

Hughes,  Schmidt

Edler,  Myers

Juolevi,  Rafferty (I think, but it's a dog fight from RD3, i.e. # 6 down, imo).

Gotta think Bo is excited too; he will have a lot more to work with this year and next.

Considering so far Bo has just a rookie year with BB and not much else....One had to wonder how he’d do centering EP and BB too.    Sure Pearson, Miller and JV could make a go if it...

That said it’s for sure a fluid situation, and Horvat for sure can play with these guys (didn’t he have the most PP goals out of anyone last year?).      Ideally Pearson and TT would have been third line guys... we have a ways to go yet but quite a few wingers and D’s in the mix going forward.   Horvat just might be the closest thing to Linden we’ve had since, well Linden.   Selfless.   Sure would be nice to see him get some better talent to play with.   Kesler dealt with this too. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Considering so far Bo has just a rookie year with BB and not much else....One had to wonder how he’d do centering EP and BB too.    Sure Pearson, Miller and JV could make a go if it...

That said it’s for sure a fluid situation, and Horvat for sure can play with these guys (didn’t he have the most PP goals out of anyone last year?).      Ideally Pearson and TT would have been third line guys... we have a ways to go yet but quite a few wingers and D’s in the mix going forward.   Horvat just might be the closest thing to Linden we’ve had since, well Linden.   Selfless.   Sure would be nice to see him get some better talent to play with.   Kesler dealt with this too. 

Yeah, agree, but was thinking more of Bo in his role as captain, having more guys under his wings (maybe as opposed to older guys helping him learn the role).

5 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

Ya Baby!  Me too.

Hughes,  Schmidt

Edler,  Myers

Lets not forget Rathbone, he could be the big surprise....This young Rathbone has good wheels, all the tools to be very very good #2 or #3 D man soon..

8 hours ago, IBatch said:

I’m curious where Schmidt should go.   Like quite a few folks a Q Hughes pairing with him seems tantalizing.   But I’m hopeful OJ and Schmidt end up forming a titanic two-way pairing myself.   Won’t happen right away of course.    Think it will be OJ and Benn too start. 

I dunno if I was betting man your top 4 is easy.

You know it's 23, 43, and Nate. Last guy is probably the giraffe.

That leaves Benn and OJ. Easy. Nate gonna play with 43 because he needs protection. 

Might not end like that but that's how I think she's going to start.

Edited by Chris12345

5 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

Ya Baby!  Me too.

Hughes,  Schmidt

Edler,  Myers

I'd rather have the top guys each carry a pairing for 20 minutes and then stack that super-pair when offense is needed.    

Hughes - Myers (this has shown to be workable and employs each guy's strengths) 

Juolevi - Schmidt (IF Olli is ready for top 4 that would be a big boost for the D-core overall, so we can run Edler on "3rd"/ offensive pairing) 

Edler - Rafferty (Edler plays well with puck-movers as the stabilizer and can mentor Brogan, and hope they can feast on weaker forwards)