The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[UTICA COMETS] 2020-21 Season

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

On 5/4/2021 at 11:09 PM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Calgary made a bad choice to stick their affiliate in enemy territory, no one likes the Flames haha.

Never could understand the Flames decision to put their farm team in Abby. They should have known that it was a bad idea before they signed on the dotted line.

That said; a Canucks farm team should be able to fill the arena on a regular basis.

Edited by Kootenay Gold
added info

2 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Never could understand the Flames decision to put their farm team in Abby. They should have known that it was a bad idea before they signed on the dotted line.

I believe that Saskatoon lobbied quite hard for the Heat, but travel for the other AHL teams was always going to be an issue, changing flights every trip.  Vancouver direct  (then coach to Abbotsford) was always going to be preferable

3 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

There are dozens of AHL affiliate teams located in 'enemy territory' though - there has to be more to why the Heat failed in Abby.   We even had quite a bit of success with the Moose in 'enemy territory' for a while.  Utica is in NY and while they aren't our divisional rival/enemy the Comets were hugely successful there for many years.

Geography/provincial/city ties definitely were a factor, but certainly not the only factor.   

3 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

That said; a Canucks farm team should be able to fill the arena on a regular basis.

How about being guaranteed profitability for ten years by what is the stupidest elected mayor (George Peary) and city council the free world has ever witnessed? If someone was stupid enough to guarantee me that, I would have done it.  So much sympathy for the fine citizens of Abbotsford who had to shell out $12M+ for the dumbass Peary and the dumbass councilors' lapse in judgement.

I'm going to go out on a limb and state that the current Abbotsford city fathers wouldn't have done to same for the Aquilinis, though I'm sure there are some sweet concessions that were made.

Link: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/abbotsford-heat-leave-city-with-12m-in-losses-1.2610985

Edited by bigbadcanucks

3 hours ago, Googlie said:

I believe that Saskatoon lobbied quite hard for the Heat, but travel for the other AHL teams was always going to be an issue, changing flights every trip.  Vancouver direct  (then coach to Abbotsford) was always going to be preferable

I may be wrong but I think most of the Pacific teams still had their farm teams out East 10 years ago.

2 hours ago, Fanuck said:

There are dozens of AHL affiliate teams located in 'enemy territory' though - there has to be more to why the Heat failed in Abby.   We even had quite a bit of success with the Moose in 'enemy territory' for a while.  Utica is in NY and while they aren't our divisional rival/enemy the Comets were hugely successful there for many years.

Geography/provincial/city ties definitely were a factor, but certainly not the only factor.   

I don't think the Moose and the Jets were really considered as mortal enemies though. That could not be said  for teams like Calgary and Boston in that time era.

2 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

How about being guaranteed profitability for ten years by what is the stupidest elected mayor (George Peary) and city council the free world has ever witnessed? If someone was stupid enough to guarantee me that, I would have done it.  So much sympathy for the fine citizens of Abbotsford who had to shell out $12M+ for the dumbass Peary and the dumbass councilors' lapse in judgement.

I'm going to go out on a limb and state that the current Abbotsford city fathers wouldn't have done to same for the Aquilinis, though I'm sure there are some sweet concessions that were made.

Link: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/abbotsford-heat-leave-city-with-12m-in-losses-1.2610985

You have no arguments from me about the idiot in office at the time. That was not the only dumb ass thing he did during his tenure.

Tied 1-1 after one vs Syracuse.  MDP is in goal

Lockwood with an apple (his 6th) on a goal by Tanner Kaspick

Pro debut for Nathan Staios, son of erstwhile Canuck Steve Staios ... 19, LHD, 5'10" and 178 lbs

Edited by Googlie

Comets have blown a 4-2 lead and now tied at 4 with 3 minutes left 

Edit:

Going into overtime.  Breakaway chance by Baertschi with 7 seconds left in regulation, great save negated it

Edited by Googlie

Interesting stats from their radio guy ..... 

Utica is AHL leader in shots per game, but converts about 1 in 15.  Cull coaches an extremely up-tempo style, every D is encouraged to engage in offense, and the team has a "shoot first, pass only if no shooting lane" attitude

Syracuse leads the AHL in goal conversion. - 1 in every 7 shots

So Utica leading in shots 25 to 21 translates to a 3 - 1 Syracuse lead, with the Comets likely to score the next goal 

42 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Interesting stats from their radio guy ..... 

Utica is AHL leader in shots per game, but converts about 1 in 15.  Cull coaches an extremely up-tempo style, every D is encouraged to engage in offense, and the team has a "shoot first, pass only if no shooting lane" attitude

Sounds like a fun style of hockey to watch on the regular, maybe he gets a crack in the NHL at some point. Could be a good assistant maybe even for Green if he is retained, the other 2 on staff need to go if Green stays in my opinion anyway

• Cheers 1