The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[UTICA COMETS] 2020-21 Season

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

Not the best outing for Mikey today.  His Comets lost 5-2 to Syracuse.  Focht and Wesley (St L) the 2 goal scorers.

Tough day for Brisebois and Woo as well ... Beezer on for 4 goals against, Woo for 3

• Thanks 1

Question for Utica fans--who's the greatest Comet of all-time? I was deliberating between Grenier and Boucher, but I went with Boucher. Fan favourites Archibald and Bancks might have something to say about that too though.

3 hours ago, Fred65 said:

So Abbotsford here we come. I have my doubts, an AHL wasn't supported well before but who knows maybe being the Canucks farm team will make a difference

When the Canucks than affiliate: Chicago Wolves came to town, they were cheered louder than the Abbotsford Heat. Calgary made a bad choice to stick their affiliate in enemy territory, no one likes the Flames haha.

This market is starved for hockey, there will be good support and turnout for this team in Abby.

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY

5 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Question for Utica fans--who's the greatest Comet of all-time? I was deliberating between Grenier and Boucher, but I went with Boucher. Fan favourites Archibald and Bancks might have something to say about that too though.

Thought it would be archie for sure 

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

Thought it would be archie for sure 

It's tough because I mostly just have stats to go off of. It's hard to see the stories behind the players that might change things. You might be right about Archibald--it wouldn't surprise me.

6 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

That is a tough one and you would probably get a few different answers.  I think you can take Grenier off the list.  His nickname was "Floater" around here.  A player that had the tools to play at the next level but never worked hard enough to make it happen.

Fan favorite would have to be Archibald.  Just a larger than life personality that got the crowd going.

Greatest Comet for me is Reid Boucher but Jacob Markstrom and Cal O'Reily have to be part of the conversation.  The 2014-15 season will be remembered for a long time around here and that season wouldn't have been as successful without Marky in goal and Captain Cal on the ice and in the room.  Travis Green said that Cal O'Reilly was the best captain he had been around in all of his years in hockey which is a huge statement.  O'Reilly is consistently named the team captain everywhere he goes including currently with the Flyers AHL team in Lehigh Valley.

Greatest prospect to come through Utica has to be Markstrom which is subject to change if some of the more recent Canucks players to come through Utica go on to have long and successful careers.

Thanks. It's great to hear it from a Utica fan's perspective. You learn things you never would've known from just reading stat lines.

15 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Archibald all the way! They loved him there. Boucher a close second for sure. Honorable mention to the Hamilton/Banks combo.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Archibald all the way! They loved him there. Boucher a close second for sure. Honorable mention to the Hamilton/Banks combo.

6 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

That is a tough one and you would probably get a few different answers.  I think you can take Grenier off the list.  His nickname was "Floater" around here.  A player that had the tools to play at the next level but never worked hard enough to make it happen.

Fan favorite would have to be Archibald.  Just a larger than life personality that got the crowd going.

Greatest Comet for me is Reid Boucher but Jacob Markstrom and Cal O'Reily have to be part of the conversation.  The 2014-15 season will be remembered for a long time around here and that season wouldn't have been as successful without Marky in goal and Captain Cal on the ice and in the room.  Travis Green said that Cal O'Reilly was the best captain he had been around in all of his years in hockey which is a huge statement.  O'Reilly is consistently named the team captain everywhere he goes including currently with the Flyers AHL team in Lehigh Valley.

Greatest prospect to come through Utica has to be Markstrom which is subject to change if some of the more recent Canucks players to come through Utica go on to have long and successful careers.

I'm putting together a top 10 list, but I'm still not too sure of it since I watched very little of Utica hockey outside of highlights on YouTube. Would you guys have any input as to an entire top 10?

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

I'm putting together a top 10 list, but I'm still not too sure of it since I watched very little of Utica hockey outside of highlights on YouTube. Would you guys have any input as to an entire top 10?

I'll give it a go

1. Archibald (the beast)

2. Boucher

3. Marky

4. Grenier 

5. Sautner (they miss him this year)

6. Zalewski (local guy, his sister reports on the team now too).

7. MacEwen 

8. Vinny Arseneau!!

9. O'Reilly

10. Hamilton/Banks combo too hard to separate.

11. Just cause it was so much fun, ECHL call up Colton Saucerman. Get sauced!! He was a good story in his breif appearance. Even made shirts out of him.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I'd go with Archie - top 5 in almost every category.  With the bias of recency, Boucher will garner a lot of votes

(Saucerman with the best name, though  .... and beard)

Edited by Googlie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Tied 2-2 after 1 period. Baertschi with a Goal!

Didn't even know this game was on - thought it was covid-postponed

Now 3 - 3, Lockwood with an apple 

Hofer (St Louis) in goal

• Vintage 1

20 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I would say Archie as well. He was well liked in his tenure with the Comets and his impact on and off the ice will never be forgotten. Marky and Boucher are a close second for me. Marky led the Comets to the Calder Cup finals in 2014-15 and was phenomenal. Bouch was a prolific scorer and showcased his leadership during his time with the Comets. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Googlie said:

I'd go with Archie - top 5 in almost every category.  With the bias of recency, Boucher will garner a lot of votes

(Saucerman with the best name, though  .... and beard)

9 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

I would say Archie as well. He was well liked in his tenure with the Comets and his impact on and off the ice will never be forgotten. Marky and Boucher are a close second for me. Marky led the Comets to the Calder Cup finals in 2014-15 and was phenomenal. Bouch was a prolific scorer and showcased his leadership during his time with the Comets. 

Thanks for sharing. It seems even though Marky was only there for a bit over a year, he made a big impact with his incredible year and playoff run--a bigger impact than I expected. I'm moving him way up my list I think.

If either of you two would be interested in sharing a more fleshed out list of 10 guys (or as many as you want), it might help me get a better ending list.

12 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

Biega?