The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks clearing Cap for Hamonic

4 minutes ago, warrchief said:

As much as I loved that hipcheck when I saw it, it really ruined our chances at a cup. 

You can't pin the series loss on one specific play, but of we were to try, I actually think Boychuk breaking Mayray's back and not getting a penalty or supplementary discipline was more deflating overall.

Especially after Rome gets suspended for a late hit that wasn't late at all.

• Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, luckylager said:

You can't pin the series loss on one specific play, but of we were to try, I actually think Boychuk breaking Mayray's back and not getting a penalty or supplementary discipline was more deflating overall.

Especially after Rome gets suspended for a late hit that wasn't late at all.

Yeah but Hamhuis was a lynchpin of our defense that really hurt the top 4.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Hamonic at 1.5 for a year gives us great Rt side depth with no risk.  I’m not sure that $ amount gets it done.  With injuries expected in a heavy schedule Hamonic can move up into the top 4, where Benn is a 3rd pairing d man at best.  Ferland will not be ready.  He needs to make a decision already to free up some green to sign Hamonic.  This is what is holding this up.  I would love a healthy Ferland, especially in the playoffs, but I think he will never be healthy enough to play his game again.  If Ferland does go on LTIR,  that would also possibly free up salary to trade for another player.  There are still teams looking to dump salary.

1 hour ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Hamonic at 1.5 for a year gives us great Rt side depth with no risk.  I’m not sure that $ amount gets it done.  With injuries expected in a heavy schedule Hamonic can move up into the top 4, where Benn is a 3rd pairing d man at best.  Ferland will not be ready.  He needs to make a decision already to free up some green to sign Hamonic.  This is what is holding this up.  I would love a healthy Ferland, especially in the playoffs, but I think he will never be healthy enough to play his game again.  If Ferland does go on LTIR,  that would also possibly free up salary to trade for another player.  There are still teams looking to dump salary.

Trade, sign....there are so many great opportunities for teams to add players at below market cost right now, if they just have some cap space.  This is why it's so important for Benning to have "the talk" with Ferland ASAP and convince him to take a year off to (hopefully) properly heal.  My biggest concern though is that Ferland is going to feel that he has fully healed and is ready to go again, and this just turns out to be another misjudgment on his part.

On 12/19/2020 at 5:50 PM, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Trade, sign....there are so many great opportunities for teams to add players at below market cost right now, if they just have some cap space.  This is why it's so important for Benning to have "the talk" with Ferland ASAP and convince him to take a year off to (hopefully) properly heal.  My biggest concern though is that Ferland is going to feel that he has fully healed and is ready to go again, and this just turns out to be another misjudgment on his part.

His third or fourth misjudgment in a row....  

Luckily there is an order to all this...  first Ferland has to be cleared by his doctors, and then after Canucks' team doctors have to clear him.  So there are two lines of defense separating Ferland from doing more immediate harm to himself (and our cap space).  

I'd actually love to have a 100% healthy Ferland in our lineup, cap be damned. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/15/2020 at 8:32 AM, theo5789 said:

Funny because that team beat the defending champs and pretty much destroyed a cocky Vegas team's confidence.

That strategy wasn't our regular strategy. It was utilized because of the super compressed schedule we had versus a much more rested team. There was no doubt Vegas was the better team even prior to all of this, but we decided that we were going to maximize our most rested player up to that point after Marky went down and were a beauty Boeser chance from actually taking the series.

The coaching doesn't get enough credit for changing the system on the fly. It's not perfect, but it nearly worked because the players bought into it. Demko played lights out, but we kept them to the perimeter for most of it and worked the counter game. It's not the primary strategy, it was a necessary strategy given the circumstances.

Adding Schmidt will hopefully prevent us from going back to that system again by having another dman that can move the puck out (and hopefully OJ/Rathbone/Rafferty can provide this on the 3rd pairing). Adding Hamonic would allow OJ or Rathbone to do their thing more freely.

And it wasn't simply that - it was harm reduction mode - because of forward group that was limping throughout the lineup.

Toffoli could scarcely skate (and therefore was a liability) - and Horvat's line became completely ineffective/unproductive.

Sutter was forced back to wing - leaving Gaudette exposed at center on an overmatched 3rd line.

And Miller was hardly able to take a draw (or fire the puck) - leaving him in 'playmaker mode....

Really - the only forward unit without misfiring cylinders was Motte/Beagle's - and they were outstanding imo.

Not going to run and gun with Vegas under those circumstances = limping that much down the middle.

Nevertheless - they showed that they could hang in there - and were about one Boeser snipe from pulling off the remarkable counterpunching victory.

But really showed what they were capable of when they were relatively healthy (Myers the exception) vs St Louis.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1