The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

are you suggesting N95s aren't used in Canadian hospitals?

No. They use N95 in "certain situations", but clearly that isn't working. See Deb's hospital outbreak list above.  If you go to the hospital right now wearing your own purchased N95 mask, they will demand you take it off and put on the provided leaky surgical mask instead. What they should be doing is ALL HCW wearing N95 masks, not just sometimes. And studies have shown taking them off in the break room isn't a good idea either. The virus doesn't care if you are on lunch break.

8 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

China locking down cities with 1,000,000 people for....3 asymptomatic cases.  Did I just hear that correctly on the news?

And in China the term lockdown actually means locked down.  Not like here when really we shouldn’t use that term, especially when millions are suffering actual lockdowns under that evil Chinese government.  

B.C. COVID-19 pandemic update:

As of Tuesday, Jan. 4, 2022, 88.3% (4,399,771) of eligible people five and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 83% (4,136,540) have received their second dose.

In addition, 92% (4,264,858) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine, 89.2% (4,136,309) received their second dose and 20.7% (961,014) have received a third dose.

Also, 92.4% (3,995,659) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose, 89.7% (3,880,253) received their second dose and 22.2% (960,090) have received a third dose.

Over the past 24 hours, B.C. is reporting 2,542 new cases of COVID-19, for a total of 266,710 cases in the province.

There are 27,106 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 236,309 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 298 individuals are in hospital and 86 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.

The new/active cases include:

• 1,458 new cases in Fraser Health
    • Total active cases: 12,729
  • 329 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health
    • Total active cases: 8,274
  • 270 new cases in Interior Health
    • Total active cases: 2,250
  • 125 new cases in Northern Health
    • Total active cases: 737
  • 360 new cases in Island Health
    • Total active cases: 3,113
  • no new cases of people who reside outside of Canada
    • Total active cases: three

Since Dec. 31, 2021, four new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 2,427.

The new deaths include:

• Interior Health: one
  • Northern Health: one
  • Island Health: two

There have been nine new health-care facility outbreaks at Surrey Memorial Hospital, The Residence in Mission, Czorny Alzheimer Centre, Hawthorne Lodge (Fraser Health), Joseph & Rosalie Segal Family Health Centre, Fraserview Retirement Community, Lakeview Care Centre (Vancouver Coastal Health), Mount Cartier Court (Interior Health) and Victoria General Hospital (Island Health), for a total of 24 facilities with ongoing outbreaks, including:

long-term care:

• The Oxford Senior Care Home, Fort Langley Seniors Community, AgeCare Harmony Court, New Vista Care Centre, Chartwell Langley Gardens, Chartwell Carlton Gardens, Chartwell Crescent Gardens, Guildford Seniors Village, The Residence in Mission, Czorny Alzheimer Centre, Hawthorne Lodge (Fraser Health);
  • Kopernik Lodge, Fraserview Retirement Community, Lakeview Care Centre (Vancouver Coastal Health);
  • Ridgeview Lodge, Mount Cartier Court (Interior Health); and
  • Amica Douglas House (Island Health)

acute care:

• Mission Memorial Hospital, Surrey Memorial Hospital (Fraser Health);
  • Lions Gate Hospital, Joseph & Rosalie Segal Family Health Centre (Vancouver Coastal Health); and
  • Victoria General Hospital (Island Health)

assisted or independent living:

• The Waverly Seniors Village (Fraser Health)

mental health and substance use:

• UBC Hospital - Detwiller Pavillion (Vancouver Coastal Health)

From Dec. 23-29, 2021, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 16% of cases, and from Dec. 16-29, they accounted for 55% of hospitalizations.

Past week cases (Dec. 23-29) - Total 17,762

• Not vaccinated: 2,532 (14.3%)
  • Partially vaccinated: 306 (1.7%)
  • Fully vaccinated: 14,924 (84%)

Past two weeks cases hospitalized (Dec. 16-29) - Total 180

• Not vaccinated: 96 (53.3%)
  • Partially vaccinated: three (1.7%)
  • Fully vaccinated: 81 (45%)

Past week, cases per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Dec. 23-29)

• Not vaccinated: 403.9
  • Partially vaccinated: 102.4
  • Fully vaccinated: 325.7

Past two weeks, cases hospitalized per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Dec. 16-29)

• Not vaccinated: 22.3
  • Partially vaccinated: 2.2
  • Fully vaccinated: 1.7

Since December 2020, the Province has administered 9,460,862 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, AstraZeneca and Pfizer Pediatric COVID-19 vaccines.

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2022HLTH0003-000005

2 minutes ago, gizmo2337 said:

No. They use N95 in "certain situations", but clearly that isn't working. See Deb's hospital outbreak list above.  If you go to the hospital right now wearing your own purchased N95 mask, they will demand you take it off and put on the provided leaky surgical mask instead. What they should be doing is ALL HCW wearing N95 masks, not just sometimes. And studies have shown taking them off in the break room isn't a good idea either. The virus doesn't care if you are on lunch break.

Maybe these outbreaks are in the patients?  Lots of those people can’t wear masks of any kind.  So are we counting those already in hospital for something else to be Covid patients even when they catch Covid while in hospital?  That could be dozens of people who aren’t really in the hospital for Covid, right?  But what if there in there for something else, catch Covid, and then Covid becomes their biggest reason for being in hospital?  Sounds complicated.  

• Vintage 2

28 minutes ago, stawns said:

Who ever said the booster would prevent omicron infection?  No one that I am aware of. But, delta is still out there and it's still very serious

Nobody said that and neither did the study that I posted.  None of the vaccines "prevent" infection.

What was stated is that the booster shot is only 37% effective against Omicron.  According to the FDA a vaccine must be at least 50% effective in order to be given to the public.  That is something that I'm sure would be concerning to some.  Delta is still out there but according to Bonnie Henry Omicron makes up 80% of our cases now.  So within the next few weeks Delta will most likely vanish and Omicron will be the dominant strain.

Yes 37% is better than zero but if you are over the age of 60 and have comorbidities I would be quite concerned about going out and about with a booster shot that is only giving me 37% protection.

2 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Found a local gym here who is defying orders with at least limited capacity to keep it somewhat discrete. It was great. We worked out, spread covid all over each other. We had a gay ol' time.

Fascists Bonnie and Dix cannot stop all of us.

I guess you're hoping for an angry response. I just feel sorry for you. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Found a local gym here who is defying orders with at least limited capacity to keep it somewhat discrete. It was great. We worked out, spread covid all over each other. We had a gay ol' time.

Fascists Bonnie and Dix cannot stop all of us.

Why don’t you guys exercise outside?  On the farm we worked in freezing cold and boiling hot.  Are young people today so soft they need indoor heat and air conditioning to exercise or something?  

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 2

Just now, Alflives said:

Why don’t you guys exercise outside?  On the farm we worked in freezing cold and boiling hot.  Are young people today so soft they need indoor heat and air conditioning to exercise or something?  

these folks are too entitled to do hard work Alf. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

The flaccid dad bods in this thread don't understand that you cannot achieve the same type of strength and muscle building routine outside doing "whatever" or using bodyweight exercises, especially when you are conditioned to a weight room with actual weights. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Nobody said that and neither did the study that I posted.  None of the vaccines "prevent" infection.

What was stated is that the booster shot is only 37% effective against Omicron.  According to the FDA a vaccine must be at least 50% effective in order to be given to the public.  That is something that I'm sure would be concerning to some.  Delta is still out there but according to Bonnie Henry Omicron makes up 80% of our cases now.  So within the next few weeks Delta will most likely vanish and Omicron will be the dominant strain.

Yes 37% is better than zero but if you are over the age of 60 and have comorbidities I would be quite concerned about going out and about with a booster shot that is only giving me 37% protection.

“The term infection refers to the virus entering and being detectable in your system regardless of whether OR NOT it makes you sick, whereas the term illness refers to the virus entering, being detectable in your system AND making you sick. It it important not to conflate the two.”

Big difference between infection (we will all be exposed at some point) and illness (exposure leads to actually being sick.)

This is why vaccines are so important.  Yes, we will get infected, or exposed, but we are very unlikely to become really sick - if at all if we are boosted.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

The flaccid dad bods in this thread don't understand that you cannot achieve the same type of strength and muscle building routine outside doing "whatever" or using bodyweight exercises, especially when you are conditioned to a weight room with actual weights. 

uh huh. I'd like to see you follow me around a nordic trail. You'd be barfing in 20 minutes. 

In your self-entitled glow, I hope you don't infect someone you care about. Even you don't deserve that pain. 

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

I'd love to see you join me for a night of moving beehives.  Over 15000 lbs in one night, and you're getting stung all night long.........probably 30-40 times on average

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

4 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Right.

You mean there's no one there to hear you grunt as you throw the weight down.  No mirrors to flex in.  We get it.  See them all the time.

Please.  What a crock.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2