The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

....and a villain to others.....

The reality, I think is that it's somewhere in between those two extremes, which IMHO, is understandable, since a purely scientific approach was never going to be in the cards. There were always going to be financial and social considerations taken into account.

"Follow the science" would have been the ideal, but we don't live in an ideal world.

I think the problem is you can't just follow science as much as you can't just follow people's feelings. There's a reason why not everything is about science in the first place as much as science does typically explain the world to us. There will also always be that emotional aspect that also needs to be considered and science doesn't always account for that.

Edited by The Lock
  • Vintage 1

Just got boosted. Hopefully this IHU is nothing to worry about though.

2 hours ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Reasonable people see this and think, "I'm going to do whatever I can to not end up in one of these due to Covid. "    

Anti-vaxxers don't think. 

RDT_20220105_0951306798547488724105317.jpg

Reminds me of iron lungs.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

And so it begins. Won't somebody please think of my muscles? 

I'd like to know what the admissions rate vaxxed/unvaxxed is in the last week, not two months ago. You know, news. I'm sure we all know the reason. It would be interesting to know.

While three-quarters of the Massachusetts population is fully vaccinated, unvaccinated patients make up about 63 percent of COVID-19 hospitalizations. Since mid-November, Baker has also encouraged fully vaccinated residents to get booster shots once they’re eligible, especially if they’re older or have underlying medical conditions that could make them susceptible to COVID-19.

Edited by Gatzkek

Novak Djokovic: Tennis star's Australia entry delayed over visa row

World number one tennis player Novak Djokovic's entry to Australia has been delayed over an issue with his visa.

The player arrived in Melbourne on Wednesday, where authorities noticed that his team had made a mistake on his application.

Djokovic is due to play in the Australian Open, after being exempted from vaccination rules.

But his team had not requested a visa that permits medical exemptions for being unvaccinated.

All players and staff at the tournament must be vaccinated or have an exemption granted by an expert independent panel.

The tennis star has been quizzed for hours about his visa status and exemption evidence in a room in Melbourne's Tullamarine Airport and is still awaiting a decision. He has not spoken about his vaccination status, but last year he said he was "opposed to vaccination".

The country's border force had sought clarification from the Victorian state government about his visa application, the Melbourne-based Age newspaper reports.

But state government Minister Jaala Pulford tweeted that his application would not be supported. Visa approvals were a matter for the federal government, she added.

Meanwhile, Djokovic's father, Srdjan Djokovic said his son was being held in a room guarded by police.

"I have no idea what's going on, they're holding my son captive for five hours.

"This is not just a fight for Novak, but a fight for the whole world. If they don't let him go in half an hour, we will gather on the street" he said in a statement released to the media.

Djokovic's coach and fellow Grand Slam champion Goran Ivanisevic posted a photo of himself on Instagram from a room in Melbourne, along with the caption: "Not the most usual trip Down Under."

Earlier, Australia's prime minister said Djokovic would be refused entry to the country unless he provided evidence that he could not be vaccinated for medical reasons.

Scott Morrison said the tennis player "could be on the next plane home" if the proof was insufficient.

The tournament's organisers say the defending champion has not been given special treatment, but the decision has infuriated many Australians. The country is seeing tens of thousands of Covid-19 cases for the first time after enduring some of the world's strictest restrictions.

Mr Morrison said the Serbian player would be required to present evidence upon arrival that he has a genuine medical exemption from vaccination. The Australian Open begins on 17 January in Melbourne.

"If that evidence is insufficient, then he won't be treated any different to anyone else," the prime minister told reporters. "There should be no special rules for Novak Djokovic at all. None whatsoever."

The comments seemed to represent a change in his position, after he said on Tuesday that Victoria's state government had provided the player with an exemption to enter the country and that officials would act "in accordance with that decision".

Unless something changes Novak will not be going for a record breaking 21st Grand Slam victory in Oz.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Upvote 3
  • Vintage 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

Good for the Australian government for not making the exception.

Well they did initially grant him an exemption. Then there was a huge public outcry and now he shows up with improper paperwork to support his exemption. So they boot him.

Rules are rules. I am on Team Rafa so it's all good with me. B)

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, nuckin_futz said:

Well they did initially grant him an exemption. Then there was a huge public outcry and now he shows up with improper paperwork to support his exemption. So they boot him.

Rules are rules. I am on Team Rafa so it's all good with me. B)

Democracy at work.  At least the right decision was made eventually.

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Good for the Australian government for not making the exception.

Agreed. The entire thing reeked of favoritism from the get-go.

I understand it sucks for the tournament to lose a superstar like Joker, but unless he can prove that he should be medically exempt, GTFO.

• Cheers 3

B.C. COVID-19 pandemic update:

As of Wednesday, Jan. 5, 2022, 88.3% (4,402,649) of eligible people five and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 83.0% (4,138,255) have received their second dose.

In addition, 92.0% (4,266,177) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine, 89.3% (4,138,007) received their second dose and 21.5% (998,164) have received a third dose.

Also, 92.4% (3,996,885) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose, 89.7% (3,881,820) received their second dose and 23.1% (997,224) have received a third dose.

B.C. is reporting 3,798 new cases of COVID-19, including 11 epi-linked cases, for a total of 270,508 cases in the province.

There are 29,967 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 237,195 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 317 individuals are in hospital and 83 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.

The new/active cases include:

• 1,739 new cases in Fraser Health
    • Total active cases: 13,920
  • 840 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health
    • Total active cases: 9,100
  • 473 new cases in Interior Health
    • Total active cases: 2,563
  • 179 new cases in Northern Health
    • Total active cases: 750
  • 566 new cases in Island Health
    • Total active cases: 3,631
  • one new case of a person who resides outside of Canada
    • Total active cases: three

In the past 24 hours, no new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 2,427.

There have been no new health-care facility outbreaks. The outbreaks at Lions Gate Hospital, Joseph & Rosalie Segal Family Health Centre and UBC Hospital - Detwiller Pavillion (Vancouver Coastal Health) have been declared over, for a total of 21 facilities with ongoing outbreaks, including:

long-term care:

• The Oxford Senior Care Home, Fort Langley Seniors Community, AgeCare Harmony Court, New Vista Care Centre, Chartwell Langley Gardens, Chartwell Carlton Gardens, Chartwell Crescent Gardens, Guildford Seniors Village, The Residence in Mission, Czorny Alzheimer Centre, Hawthorne Lodge (Fraser Health);
  • Kopernik Lodge, Fraserview Retirement Community, Lakeview Care Centre (Vancouver Coastal Health);
  • Ridgeview Lodge, Mount Cartier Court (Interior Health); and
  • Amica Douglas House (Island Health)

acute care:

• Mission Memorial Hospital, Surrey Memorial Hospital (Fraser Health); and
  • Victoria General Hospital (Island Health)

assisted or independent living:

• The Waverly Seniors Village (Fraser Health)

From Dec. 28 to Jan. 3, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 16.2% of cases, and from Dec. 21 to Jan. 3, they accounted for 51.4% of hospitalizations.

Past week cases (Dec. 28 to Jan. 3) - Total 22,600

• Not vaccinated: 3,127 (13.8%)
  • Partially vaccinated: 542 (2.4%)
  • Fully vaccinated: 18,931 (83.8%)

Past two weeks cases hospitalized (Dec. 21 to Jan. 3) - Total 173

• Not vaccinated: 84 (48.6%)
  • Partially vaccinated: 5 (2.8%)
  • Fully vaccinated: 84 (48.6%)

Past week, cases per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Dec. 28 to Jan. 3)

• Not vaccinated: 465.8
  • Partially vaccinated: 148.1
  • Fully vaccinated: 412.3

Past two weeks, cases hospitalized per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Dec. 21 to Jan. 3)

• Not vaccinated: 19.6
  • Partially vaccinated: 4.3
  • Fully vaccinated: 1.8

Since December 2020, the Province has administered 9,502,325 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, AstraZeneca and Pfizer Pediatric COVID-19 vaccines.

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2022HLTH0004-000008

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

And so it begins. Won't somebody please think of my muscles? 

I don’t want to speak for all gym goers, but I think a lot of us rely on the gym as an outlet so when they suddenly closes it’s hard on mental health. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

28 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I miss it soo much.

Not that I could go in the last week anyway with being sick.

The feathers were ruffled in this thread by a poster taking about the idea of spreading covid with glee. There are plenty of us in here that find the gym closure restrictions silly in relation to some of the places they have allowed to stay open. 

I've spent my down time you tubing different approaches to my exercises. I cant wait to get back 

Thanks for the context. Hopefully these gym restrictions are lifted sooner than later.

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I miss it soo much.

Not that I could go in the last week anyway with being sick.

The feathers were ruffled in this thread by a poster taking about the idea of spreading covid with glee. There are plenty of us in here that find the gym closure restrictions silly in relation to some of the places they have allowed to stay open. 

I've spent my down time you tubing different approaches to my exercises. I cant wait to get back 

Except fitness centers have been the source of massive outbreaks across the country over the last two years.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

Just now, stawns said:

Except fitness centers have been the source of massive outbreaks across the country over the last two years.

I know, we've talked about this.

It's why i mentioned... 'in relation to some of the places they have allowed to stay open'

Such as Malls, restaurants, sporting events and religious services. 

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

I know, we've talked about this.

It's why i mentioned... 'in relation to some of the places they have allowed to stay open'

Such as Malls, restaurants, sporting events and religious services. 

Religious services, without question as they have been the source of many significant outbreaks.  Malls and restaurants don't seem to be the source for large outbreaks like fitness centres and religious services, which makes sense because there isn't heavy breathing, singing etc etc.

Don't get me wrong, I feel terrible for those businesses and understand they are good for people's mental health, but it's a crappy situation for a lot of people.

Ultimately, many businesses are going to shutting down in the next as workers stay home sick.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Religious services, without question as they have been the source of many significant outbreaks.  Malls and restaurants don't seem to be the source for large outbreaks like fitness centres and religious services, which makes sense because there isn't heavy breathing, singing etc etc.

Don't get me wrong, I feel terrible for those businesses and understand they are good for people's mental health, but it's a crappy situation for a lot of people.

Ultimately, many businesses are going to shutting down in the next as workers stay home sick.

Again, I think we agree in general.

I remember in the early days that there was a lot of restaurants in Van that were having outbreaks but I'm not sure what measures they had in place at the time.

I'm sure you recall me pointing out my concern about public washrooms when the new restrictions were implemented... Rogers alone at a potential Nucks game...yuck.

And would they even isolate an outbreak anywhere anymore? ...how could they track say, 8,000+ people ( 50%) that attended a potential NHL game?

Anyway, to jump to a conclusion. 

Do a proper circuit breaker. I would support that.

Also, Really I was just giving Bo some context why gym visits where being discussed lately.