The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I find it very sad that people's lives are being put at risk for an experiment, especially when the rest of the world is seeing some pretty massive outbreaks and maxed out hospital situations, so it's quite clear to see the dangers of doing little.

I also find that it often gets forgotten how short of time this has been going on and how fast it can get out of hand, such as in the US. Their numbers were very low and then two weeks later (the length of the incubation period) they had the highest number of cases and things were out of control. Maybe it's because being stuck inside a day feels like a week and a week feels like a month, I don't know, but I still think things are going to get much worse before it gets better. 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I didn't vote for him, haven't really liked him, but he has stepped up to true leadership in this.  He listens and defers to experts, he gives provinces unconditional support and is a reassuring, comforting presence every morning.

In BC i'd say that Bonnie Henry has filled a gap that Horgan has left. Has anyone really seen much of him since this whole thing began? 

• Cheers 2

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

In BC i'd say that Bonnie Henry has filled a gap that Horgan has left. Has anyone really seen much of him since this whole thing began? 

Nope........not sure if that's good of not.  Sometimes good leadership is stepping back and letting experts be the face.  That said, I haven't been too happy with BC in this, especially early on.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

I didn't vote for him, haven't really liked him, but he has stepped up to true leadership in this.  He listens and defers to experts, he gives provinces unconditional support and is a reassuring, comforting presence every morning.

Me too....exactly how I feel.

On everyone wearing masks right now as an example...something to the effect of "I'm not going to make medical decisions...health officials will do that". 

• Cheers 2

Just now, Mackcanuck said:

I think Horgan can see that Bonnie Henry and Adrian Dix are doing an excellent job and he has stepped back to let those quality people in charge handle it.

I have no problem with Horgan staying on the sidelines.

it would be nice to hear more from him on economic programs available to people tho, Dix and Henry are focused on health. I was talking to my daughter yesterday and she and her buddies aren't sure what to do about rent, e.g. He needs to step with with more regular info sessions on economic issues imo. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it would be nice to hear more from him on economic programs available to people tho, Dix and Henry are focused on health. I was talking to my daughter yesterday and she and her buddies aren't sure what to do about rent, e.g. He needs to step with with more regular info sessions on economic issues imo. 

It appears Horgan is leaving that sort of thing to Trudeau.

Agreed, There is not much coming from the Province

• Cheers 1

Just now, Mackcanuck said:

there's very little on when rent and other help is coming. It just says "soon" on the BC govt site. Thats not good enough, I think a lot of renters are pretty worried. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

There's this too 

He's around, not as much as Henry and Dix but I'm more drawn into what Henry and Dix say. 

Just now, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

There's this too 

He's around, not as much as Henry and Dix but I'm more drawn into what Henry and Dix say. 

but the applications aren't available yet.... all I would like to see is when they will be. Its been over a week since the last site update and nothing on when. 

4 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

its not a partisan thing, I just think he needs to be a little more present in this, not just a tweet. Other premiers are far more regular updates, which I think is needed since people catch the news at different times, etc.  its OK to be repetitive. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its not a partisan thing, I just think he needs to be a little more present in this, not just a tweet. Other premiers are far more regular updates, which I think is needed since people catch the news at different times, etc.  its OK to be repetitive. 

We don't know what's going behind the scenes though.  I think it is important for all the premiers & PM to be showing a united front (which they appear to be so far & that's despite them all being on the various ends of the political spectrum).  Voice your concerns/demands in private.  Unlike the ****-show down South, where the various levels of government don't seem to be working together (and often at odds with one another).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

We don't know what's going behind the scenes though.  I think it is important for all the premiers & PM to be showing a united front (which they appear to be so far & that's despite them all being on the various ends of the political spectrum).  Voice your concerns/demands in private.  Unlike the ****-show down South, where the various levels of government don't seem to be working together (and often at odds with one another).

I do agree that what we see on the face of things is not what's happening.  I don't think Horgan comes off as a comforting presence, so he defers to Fix and Henry to do that........and the sign language interpreter too.  

• Thanks 1