The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

2 minutes ago, BPA said:

I believe most families are dual income in order to just pay for things.  I can't even imagine a single income family working.  Unless society goes back to living with parents/grandparents/etc.

Kids not going to school will require at least a guardian to be at home for young children. 

Not all families will have the opportunity to work from home.  Man...it'll be a mess.

I think we're looking at the birth of universal guaranteed income.

6 minutes ago, gurn said:

In todays world, and for tomorrow's world, high speed should be everywhere in Canada.

It would certainly help.

We don't have anyone on dial-up anymore, but there are folks with just the basic package and most of them will be connecting a laptop using WiFi. I had to explain to one user the other day, that her router should have an actual physical jack (4 of them, actually) and that a physical connection would be more reliable than WiFi.

I can see myself having this same conversation with over 200 employees this fall.....:wacko:

Edited by RUPERTKBD

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

It would certainly help.

We don't have anyone on dial-up anymore, but there are folks with just the basic package and most of them will be connecting a laptop using WiFi. I had to explain to one user the other day, that he router should have an actual physical jack (4 of them, actually) and that a physical connection would be more reliable than WiFi.

I can see myself having this same conversation with over 200 employees this fall.....:wacko:

Lol.  I feel for you.

:P

6 minutes ago, gurn said:

In todays world, and for tomorrow's world, high speed should be everywhere in Canada.

Well, after the first two weeks if talking to families on the rollout of distance learning, I've come to realize that's not true.  We are finding a lot of families who don't have consistent access to appropriate internet speeds for distance learning, and many more who don't have appropriate devices.

So on my Facebook page, a Chinese friend of mine posted this:

”Hi to all my Chinese buddies: pick up your free health packs at the Chinese Embassy. The health pack contains 20 masks, 2 packs of Lianhua pills that effectively treat Covid and fever, 2 N95, & a bag of disinfection wipes Sending you luv with my archival smile.”

ummm....

Is that what we should be getting by the government? And if yes, should we not get on it if not for this pandemic, the next one?

3 minutes ago, BPA said:
  3 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think we're looking at the birth of universal guaranteed income.

It will be interesting to see how the USA deals with their health care now. Suddenly there might be a realization that Bernie Sanders was on the right path, and that Trump should not get rid of "Obamacare" without a very, very, good replacement

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

It would certainly help.

We don't have anyone on dial-up anymore, but there are folks with just the basic package and most of them will be connecting a laptop using WiFi. I had to explain to one user the other day, that her router should have an actual physical jack (4 of them, actually) and that a physical connection would be more reliable than WiFi.

We have almost 100 in our finance dept. and only a couple have had to come in to work because they didn't have enough WIFI bandwith at home.

1 minute ago, wloutet said:

It will be interesting to see how the USA deals with their health care now. Suddenly there might be a realization that Bernie Sanders was on the right path, and that Trump should not get rid of "Obamacare" without a very, very, good replacement

Wishful thinking, sadly.  Those rightwing nutjobs won't let a pandemic get in the way of politics.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

It would certainly help.

I had a dial up connection till three years ago, then managed to upgrade to a Huawei web stick. That worked very well except for spring, summer, fall and daytime.

finally got an Explornet satellite hook up, huge difference to me, but to most people it is incredibly slow.

Hope to move in the next couple of months and will have a hard wired internet provider service. Looking forward to having tech that is within 10years of being current.

• Cheers 1

As if we needed another reason to despise the Dallas Cowboys :picard:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nfl/report-prescott-hosted-party-with-30-people-elliott-among-guests/ar-BB12uvQm?li=AAggNb9

Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott hosted a birthday party for a friend in Prosper, Texas, on Friday night, according to TMZ Sports. Thirty people reportedly attended the event, including Prescott's teammate running back Ezekiel Elliott.

The reported party took place days after Governor Greg Abbott ordered the state of Texas to restrict their social interactions - except for essential activities - to at least through the end of April. Abbott's executive order also stated gatherings must be limited to 10 people or fewer.

• Like 2

John Conway, a very noted Mathematician in the US (he was born in Britain), has passed away at 82, from COVID-19. He was into "surreal" numbers and new infinities, but was best known for inventing the mathematical "Game of Life" (not the board game). I found that I had his book, "The Book of Numbers" on my bookshelf, so I have some new reading material as I haven't cracked it for about 3 years.

If a parent needs to stay home with their young children, then I can see a reduction in the number of teachers required.   And layoffs of school staff (ie maintenance, etc).  Perhaps even permanent closures of some schools.  Perhaps even home schooling will be a thing.  I mean, if this distance learning works...then why would there be a need to return back to the way it was before?

The Provinces will save loads of money.  And cities can repurpose the school lands for more housing. 

51 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Just depends on which rules and where we are at at that point to be honest. It's April 12th right now. Did we know where we'd be right now back in March? There we some people suggesting about now is where we'd get out of isolation.

Most likely scenario is the date will get postponed and then postponed again until we are absolutely sure we're clear. I don't think people realise our reality until we actually have a cure for this. Not trying to sound all "doomsday" but there's a chance we don't get back to a world without corona until 2021. Hopefully that doesn't happen, but that's an actual possibility believe it or not.

From the sounds of things, there's more than a chance.  The estimate I keep hearing is that it will take a year to a year and a half to develop a vaccine.  Say they started working on it at the beginning of January.   If it takes eighteen months that gets us to July of 2021 before the vaccine is developed.   Then it has to be produced on a massive scale.  Then it has to be distributed to everyone in the world.  I don't know how long the production and distribution process will take but, under this scenario, we could be well into 2021 or even 2022 before we're actually lining up for vaccine shots.

Fingers crossed for an unexpected scientific breakthrough.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, BPA said:

I mean, if this distance learning works...then why would there be a need to return back to the way it was before?

Because poor people don't have internet connections and/or the ability to supervise their kids and still keep a job?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BPA said:

If a parent needs to stay home with their young children, then I can see a reduction in the number of teachers required.   And layoffs of school staff (ie maintenance, etc).  Perhaps even permanent closures of some schools.  Perhaps even home schooling will be a thing.  I mean, if this distance learning works...then why would there be a need to return back to the way it was before?

The Provinces will save loads of money.  And cities can repurpose the school lands for more housing. 

Distance learning "works", but it's debatable as to how well it works. I doubt that it comes close to the quality of education delivered by face to face student/teacher interaction. It's just a necessity at this point.

Just now, gurn said:

Because poor people don't have internet connections and/or the ability to supervise their kids and still keep a job?

Right.

So how can school be still closed even till next semester (September)??

I can't see it not opening unless there is a fundamental shift in the current way of life.

4 minutes ago, BPA said:

If anything, they'll need more as they'll likely reduce the number of students per teacher.

Distance learning doesn't work.......it provides learning opportunities in a time of crisis, but it's not teaching and it's not "school".

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, BPA said:

Right.

So how can school be still closed even till next semester (September)??

I can't see it not opening unless there is a fundamental shift in the current way of life.

Because that's just how it is and we'll make the best of a bad situation.  If you want major outbreaks in every city, open the schools.  There is no better way to spread a virus than a building full of snot monsters, trust me.

• Upvote 3