The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

5 minutes ago, Me_ said:

So I went out on my weekly groceries run today.

The lineups weren’t so bad because , well what else do you have to do really...

So for weeks now both Trudeau and Ford, as well as other authority figures in this country such as Legault in Quebec, go on TV every single day to tell us about social distancing guidelines.

One of the guidelines is to grocery shop alone.

Well, not 2 minutes into my shopping, I see a couple. Now it can be very hard to tell someone you don’t know that they’re doing something they shouldn’t.

But I did: ”You shouldn’t be shopping together as a couple.” I got a nonchalant thumbs up. They were in their early 20’s. You know. The “ok boomer” act.

Then about 2 minutes later, I see another couple. So again I say: “You should be shopping alone. Not as a couple.”

The girl didn’t say anything. But the guy said: “shut your f**king mouth”. So I said: “YOU are flaunting strong advice from the government to grocery shop alone”. He flipped me the finger and that was that. They were in their early 20’s.

So I went to see the manager. I wanted to know why they’re letting couples in when the government is telling everyone to shop alone. He couldn’t answer me so he invited me to go talk to the police officer who was monitoring the store. So we went.

The police officer said they cannot enforce separation of couples. He was very nice and I understand. There are no enforceable policy in Toronto for crowds under five people.

To me that seems entirely useless because you could be with a different set of five people all the time.  But whatever.

So I go back in to finish my shopping, and another couple. So I tell them: ”You shouldn’t be shopping together as a couple.” They were very nice and they didn’t know about that. But I felt they got it, as his girlfriend instantly distanced. The we’re closer to their 30’s.

There is no punchline to this story. Just a sense that the entitled early 20’s of this world might start to eat pavement very soon.

Why would you spoil your peace of mind trying to give advice to randos? You are bound to meet a bunch of yahoos. There are some people who have no respect for "guidelines". Until the police start handing out tickets, they aren't going to budge. If you are aiming to put a stop to this practice you need to be talking to people who can make a difference, don't waste your breath on fools.

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, sonoman said:

My fear is we’ve raised a generation of these people. Whiny, self-entitled, lazy 20 somethings.  I don’t want to wield too broad a brush because there are some great young adults who work hard and contribute to society as a whole.  As a 60 year old, I can’t garden as hard as I once could. In my neighbourhood, there are about 20 young people that don’t work who won’t work even for an offer of $25 hour to help with some simple weeding and yard work.  I have one very strong able bodied 24 year old next door that hasn’t worked a day in his life.  He’s already on “ disability” because he has “anxiety”.  We all have anxieties FFS.  
Rant over.  Peace and stay safe.  

Maybe we’ll get back to calling “anxiety” EMOTION.

My roommate, the one whose picture I shared, is on disability for anxiety too.

Its a thing...

Edited by Me_

32 minutes ago, Me_ said:

So for weeks now both Trudeau and Ford, as well as other authority figures in this country such as Legault in Quebec, go on TV every single day to tell us about social distancing guidelines.

Well, not 2 minutes into my shopping, I see a couple. Now it can be very hard to tell someone you don’t know that they’re doing something they shouldn’t.

But I did: ”You shouldn’t be shopping together as a couple.” I got a nonchalant thumbs up. They were in their early 20’s. You know. The “ok boomer” act.

Then about 2 minutes later, I see another couple. So again I say: “You should be shopping alone. Not as a couple.”

The girl didn’t say anything. But the guy said: “shut your f**king mouth”. So I said: “YOU are flaunting strong advice from the government to grocery shop alone”. He flipped me the finger and that was that. They were in their early 20’s.

So I went to see the manager. I wanted to know why they’re letting couples in when the government is telling everyone to shop alone. He couldn’t answer me so he invited me to go talk to the police officer who was monitoring the store. So we went.

The police officer said they cannot enforce separation of couples. He was very nice and I understand. There are no enforceable policy in Toronto for crowds under five people.

To me that seems entirely useless because you could be with a different set of five people all the time.  But whatever.

So I go back in to finish my shopping, and another couple. So I tell them: ”You shouldn’t be shopping together as a couple.” They were very nice and they didn’t know about that. But I felt they got it, as his girlfriend instantly distanced. The we’re closer to their 30’s.

There is no punchline to this story. Just a sense that the entitled early 20’s of this world might start to eat pavement very soon.

I will shop with my GF when she is able to go...tons of couples go shopping. It is better to go together imo as we get everything we need instead of maybe passing over something or not knowing exactly what the other person may want to cook or have. We go maybe once a week and stock up.

You must be off work if you have nothing better to do then to go to the store manager and then proceed to talk to a police officer regarding this. Each to their own, but I have no problem seeing couples out shopping together or seeing them walking together. 

Most may not agree with my stance, but this is a RARE Pandemic and in my situation I know my GF needs that reassurance that we still do as many things together as possible. We briefly tried doing things a bit differently and she had a very difficult time and it was making her go a bit "crazy" so we chose to still do the shopping together etc but we 110% for sure are being careful in how we are going about doing it. We shop in the final 30 minutes the store is open.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Me_ said:

depends on the store, Costco lets in 2 people per card. 

My wife and I do stand in line together going into the store and then we split up, so one of us can buy for our inlaws and I buy for us and our daughter. So you might see people together at times doing that kind of thing too. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, samurai said:

a closet fascist

samething 

No, not at all.   

The other one I cannot post because you were warned. 

Maybe take a break. Stay on the sidelines a while. See to it that your thinking better fits this site.

And while at it, understand that your thinking is afforded by the fact that you live in a country that allows free speech; unlike what you posted which was brought down.

AAAAND of course, I wouldn’t want to cheat you from your participation award:

364B8CDD-27DD-45B1-AF43-43F706D92ED8.gif

5 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Dictatorship regardless of left or right are bad. 

End of story. 

Marxism has nothing to do dictatorships. Dictators have claimed to be Marxist much like Trump claims to be religious. 
Anyways...back to the thread at hand. 

Edited by spur1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

Jeebus little dude...get off the damn blog for awhile.  

People that live together may go out together because one of them may be terrified to go on their own due to the fear mongering going on in here.  If you say that crap to the wrong person you will get punched in the yap.

Why don't you just shut your corn hole and stay 2 metres from everyone else. Do your part and quit the shaming crap.  Good god...

• Cheers 4

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

Here's the thing. These are recommendations not law. If it's more convenient to shop with my wife... guess what, its happening. I get that everyone is in this together but you also have to remember that this can go on for a long time. Maybe longer than what they're predicting.  We still have to live. 

I also have a story. I'm walmart earlier this week (by myself). I'm Halfway down an aisle clearly marked with directional arrows and enter/exit marked at the end.  A man over 60 looks down at the "exit" at the end of the aisle, looks down at the arrow pointed towards him, looks at me, then continues to head towards me.  But hes old he can claim ignorance right... right. Fought in nam but cant understand an arrow.

Punchline to my story is people are going to do what makes them feel safe. Some follow all the rules. Some follow none. Most are somewhere in between. If you cant handle that maybe do the curbside pickup. Just the way the world is right now.

Well said!

44 minutes ago, Me_ said:

The other one I cannot post because you were warned. 

Maybe take a break. Stay on the sidelines a while. See to it that your thinking better fits this site.

And while at it, understand that your thinking is afforded by the fact that you live in a country that allows free speech; unlike what you posted which was brought down.

I don't agree with that other poster at all.

But YOU may want to take a break when you go spouting off to couples in a store shopping. Do you know if they are the only two people that live together and need each other as support???

Quit begin so bloody judgmental.  

Edited by Kanukfanatic