The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

meh, thank god Poutine Polievre isn't running our country right now, he'd be lock step with Trump. 

I was ecstatic when he said he wasn't running for Con leadership.  Not that I think he'd win, but the stupidity and ignorance from those who support him would be excruciating.

Edited by stawns
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Yep...that is why you are single pal.

Some middle aged or older folk have been together for 30 or 40 years. They live together.  Why does some schmuck need to try to shame them because they shop together. Oh yeah...the schmuck does not need to and should just shut up.

And that is coming from a mostly right wing guy....

Edit: and if the schmuck had come up to me whining and asking for enforcement...I would have told him to shut his whiny mouth and go home.  Luckily....I actually do that in my line of work.

Wow! You sound pretty tough! LOL

Just imagine a little store and a line up of couples, all standing around your Gramma, with the same attitude as yours

So, she wants to go in, but feels intimidated, by the crowd, but goes in and starts to feel caught everywhere she goes in every aisle

To me, that is a very real scenario, and one that could really happen. 

To me, that is a lot of selfish people in that store...……...

Oh, and being a tough guy on here, is pretty pathetic, as is your lame reason.

Imagine those people that really have to go in that store and do not because of you and your friends

You are a great human being....just great!

We should not need written law for common sense reasoning!

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

If I'm not mistaken, the 'shopping alone' recommendation came about to try to stop parents from dragging kids through the store. I don't think I've seen it for couples, particularly older ones that really do need the support of each other. 

I did have a young couple getting too close in line behind me this week, so I politely asked them if they'd like to go ahead of me. They got the message and kept their distance. Lets try to be civil out there, particularly with dumb people, because, well, they're idiots. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Jeebus little dude...get off the damn blog for awhile.  

People that live together may go out together because one of them may be terrified to go on their own due to the fear mongering going on in here.  If you say that crap to the wrong person you will get punched in the yap.

Why don't you just shut your corn hole and stay 2 metres from everyone else. Do your part and quit the shaming crap.  Good god...

Irony

44 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Yep...that is why you are single pal.

Some middle aged or older folk have been together for 30 or 40 years. They live together.  Why does some schmuck need to try to shame them because they shop together. Oh yeah...the schmuck does not need to and should just shut up.

And that is coming from a mostly right wing guy....

Edit: and if the schmuck had come up to me whining and asking for enforcement...I would have told him to shut his whiny mouth and go home.  Luckily....I actually do that in my line of work.

Continuing irony.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

If I'm not mistaken, the 'shopping alone' recommendation came about to try to stop parents from dragging kids through the store. I don't think I've seen it for couples, particularly older ones that really do need the support of each other. 

I did have a young couple getting too close in line behind me this week, so I politely asked them if they'd like to go ahead of me. They got the message and kept their distance. Lets try to be civil out there, particularly with dumb people, because, well, they're idiots. 

Did you see the video out of Calgary? I can't post it because the guy who asked the couple to move back was called a three letter word that is outdated. Long story short the individual was caught on camera, lost his job and may as well move far, far away.

9 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I'm not grasping at anything. I do however wonder why western governments didn't act on intelligence. 

Because they have to look at everything from every angle and consider the consequences vs the action.......that takes some time.  Not saying it's good, but can you imagine the uproar from the rightwing nutjobs in the prairie if they made a quick, unilateral decision?

atomic bomb explosion GIF

Edited by stawns
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

Did you see the video out of Calgary? I can't post it because the guy who asked the couple to move back was called a three letter word that is outdated. Long story short the individual was caught on camera, lost his job and may as well move far, far away.

Now I want to know what that three letter word is!

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

Honestly Jim that can only be the logical answer. There is zero upside to destroying your economies.

its the only thing that makes sense to me. We've also got used to things being "instant" but that sure fell on its arse too. We've got lazy and complacent. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

nope missed that one, not surprised tho. 

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Because they have to look at everything from every angle and consider the consequences vs the result.......that takes some time.  Not saying it's good, but can you imagine the uproar from the rightwing nutjobs in the prairie if they made a quick, unilateral decision?

atomic bomb explosion GIF

If travel from Asia was cancelled and mandatory quarantine for Canadians traveling from Asia I doubt would have caused an uproar. 

• Cheers 1

Families being urged to only have one member shop, if at all possible, to prevent spread of coronavirus.

The COVID-19 pandemic is changing the way we do our shopping. Grocers and other retailers have made all kinds of operational changes to prevent the further spread of the virus. But now consumers are being urged to think twice before heading out to the store. In particular if you plan on venturing out with family members. Klaudia Van Emmerik explains.”

Okanagan families urged to only send one person shopping during COVID-19 pandemic

How to shop for groceries during the COVID-19 pandemic

As Okanagan retailers implement numerous measures to keep both store employees and customers safe amid the pandemic, shoppers are being asked to help curb the spread of COVID-19.

In particular, families are being asked not to shop together, if at all possible, and instead only have one person do the shopping.“

How to shop for groceries during the COVID-19 pandemic

”Before you go to the store 

• Consider whether you really need to go shopping: Americans are being told to stay home as much as possible, and that means limiting trips to the grocery store. So if you only need a few items, try to get by with what you have and plan a big shopping trip for later. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration advises people to buy enough food for a week or two at a time. 
  • Delivery may be an option instead: Getting groceries delivered helps reduce the number of people going into stores and touching things, and helps people follow social distancing rules, according to North Carolina State University's (NC State's) food safety sheet for COVID-19. It also helps reduce the spread of COVID-19 from people who are infected but don't show symptoms. 
  • If you can't get delivery, try shopping at off-peak hours and buying as many items as you can from one store (rather than visiting multiple stores), NC State says. 
  • Don't bring the whole family: It's best to shop alone, NC State says. This helps reduce the number of people going to stores. If possible, leave your children at home to limit your family's exposure, according to The University of Maryland Medical System
  • Don't go if you have symptoms: It's very important not to go shopping if you are showing symptoms of COVID-19 (such as fever, cough or shortness of breath), or if you think you have been exposed to the virus. In these cases, you should leave your home only to seek medical care, according to the CDC. If you need supplies, ask a friend or someone else to get them and leave them outside your home. 

At the store 

• Sanitize your hands often: Use hand sanitizer before entering the store and after leaving, NC State says. You should also consider using hand sanitizer before and after selecting produce items. 
  • If your store isn't providing disinfecting wipes, bring your own wipes to use on carts, basket handles and card readers, according to NC State. 
  • Wear a mask: The CDC now recommends that people wear cloth face coverings when they go out, including when they go to the grocery store. This recommendation is intended to prevent the spread of COVID-19 from people who are infected but don't realize it because they aren't showing symptoms. 
  • Practice social distancing: As with any public setting, you should maintain a distance of at least 6 feet (1.8 meters) from others. 
  • Touch only what you buy: Try not to touch things unnecessarily, NC State says. That means don't pick up multiple produce items to try to find the ripest one, for example.
  • Gloves aren't necessary: Wearing gloves to the store isn't necessary because the gloves become contaminated the same way your hands do, according to The Washington Post. Washing or sanitizing your hands before and after entering the store is what's important. But if you choose to wear gloves, use disposable ones and discard them before you get into your car, if you're driving, or as soon as you get home if you're on foot or taking public transportation, according to The Wall Street Journal.  
  • Don't touch your face: Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands, according to the CDC.“

Social distancing tips: the rules of safe shopping under coronavirus

“Shop alone, not in groups

Clearly there will be exceptions: for example, single parents with small children who cannot be left at home, but where possible you should try to shop alone. That will reduce the number of people inside stores, making physical distancing easier to achieve. It also reduces the number of people in your household exposed to the outdoors. Remember: studies show that, on average, people can have coronavirus for five days before they develop any symptoms, and all that time they can be unwittingly spreading it.”

Shop alone if you can. The government of Quebec says children can accompany parents into stores if needed. But as much as possible, they should stay at home.”

3. Shop alone

Fewer people in the store means easier physical distancing and fewer people potentially exposed to the virus. It’s simple math.”

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Now I want to know what that three letter word is!

Pretty sure you can figure it out.

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

nope missed that one, not surprised tho. 

It was posted on Calgary roast or toast. He apologized on the FB page but it was to late.

15 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Sorry, but you don't know people's situations, and to assume isn't the way to go.

My wife and I live downtown Vic, don't own a vehicle, meal plan like pros, cook everything, and stock up for three weeks at a time so that we can hunker down for as long as possible. How am I supposed to shop alone and carry (walk) everything home when I only have a backpack and two arms? She's a buck twenty and certainly can't carry everything alone either. Should I make multiple trips, because I don't find that helps? We both take the rules very seriously, and the two of us together can get in and out very quickly while keeping us and others safe. Sure, there will be people who don't follow the rules and aren't like the two of us, but maybe they are.

Good. That sounds very fine.

I’m talking about the people who don’t give a sh*t.

They're usually pretty obvious.

Edited by Me_
  • Wat 1

5 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Good. That sounds very fine.

I’m talking about the people who don’t give a sh*t.

They're usually pretty obvious.

I was in 7/11 getting a lotto max a second cashier showed up and said I can help you here. So he is standing like 2 feet from his coworker and I'm like 2 feet from the other customer. I'm like wtf.

Edited by Ryan Strome
  • Cheers 1