The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why have we never got a replay of what Messier did to Linden in the SCF?

Rate this topic

canuckster19

If I remember correctly the Pacific Coliseum was one of the first in the league to have up ice angles, there had to be a camera on what went down. Either they have the angle and never wanted to show us because what went down was so egregious the league would have had no choice but to suspend Messier for game 7, or they should at least have shown us the angles they had and proved they had nothing... I'm going with the former.

• Wat 3
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, canuckster19 said:

If I remember correctly the Pacific Coliseum was one of the first in the league to have up ice angles, there had to be a camera on what went down. Either they have the angle and never wanted to show us because what went down was so egregious the league would have had no choice but to suspend Messier for game 7, or they should at least have shown us the angles they had and proved they had nothing... I'm going with the former.

Who is they?

• Haha 1

Yes it was pathetic and cheap but if you re-watch that whole series you would see the amount of stuff that was let go (both ways) is just ridiculous. Those were the times and as much as we hate that we lost we were never expected to ever go that far in the first place. But personally because of the incredible hart and determination from every guy on that squad they will always be my favorite Canucks team as well as the true deserving winners of the cup.

Edited by Bure2Win
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

Because it's how the world works (sadly).  Messier, the golden boy of the NHL could NOT be seen doing something so despicable.  Dirty piece of crap.  It's like if you don't see it it didn't happen.

I remember Ronning's (?) account of the team not knowing the extend of Trevor's injury....he hid it.  But they heard him screaming in pain from the trainer's room.

Messier coming to Vancouver was a nightmare....I cringed and it was the first time I really couldn't stomach the team.  Keenan too...what an invasion.

I pretty much stopped watching during the Messier era, dropped to watching maybe 4/5 canuck games a year and mostly watched Boston instead. Even in NHL video games I played as Boston usually and when I did play as Vancouver I traded Messier immediately

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

The difference being that, once a guy's down, it's overkill and beyond just a dirty play.  It's scum level dirt. 

Going back at a wounded player who's crawling on hands and knees takes a special kind of heartlessness.

Throwing an elbow at a guy who's been targeting you is cheap/dirty...but not that level in my mind.

Doesn’t change Charging, Interference, Unsuspecting Player, and a Targeted Hit to the Head. No doubt Bure would be suspended for the rest of the playoffs himself too. 

Doesn’t minimize what Messier did just pointing out there would be sussy’s on both sides. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tas said:

dude, it was game 6 of the Stanley Cup final in the mid nineties. pretty much anything short of hacking someone's head off with your skate blade is fair game. 

Nope.  A guy crawling off the ice is off limits. 

Just like the Bruins' fans booing Raymond as he lay on the ice.  There is some stuff that crosses over and is a complete lack of respect...for the players AND the game.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

Several things in play here: This never really became an issue until several years later when someone found Robson's call and attached it to the video.  CBC and ESPN/MSG barely made note of it at the time. The NHL was still going with one referee and both times Linden was hit he was nowhere near the puck.  Linden was one of the first people off the bench to congratulate Mclean.  And yes, Bure on Churla was much worse. 

Edit:  We are judging this play by 2020 standards as well.  It was waaay different in 1994.

Edited by skeena1
More info.

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

Nope.  A guy crawling off the ice is off limits. 

Just like the Bruins' fans booing Raymond as he lay on the ice.  There is some stuff that crosses over and is a complete lack of respect...for the players AND the game.

meh.  I didn't say it was right, just the way it is (was).

• Vintage 1

24 minutes ago, tas said:

dude, it was game 6 of the Stanley Cup final in the mid nineties. pretty much anything short of hacking someone's head off with your skate blade is fair game. 

I won't deny my *OWN* hypocrisy.  I am ashamed to admit I actually smiled a little when Bobby Clarke broke the ankle of Kharlamov is a blatant (cheapshot) slash.  Course, I was only like 6 years old.  

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, skeena1 said:

Several things in play here: This never really became an issue until several years later when someone found Robson's call and attached it to the video.  CBC and ESPN/MSG barely made note of it at the time. The NHL was still going with one referee and both times Linden was hit he was nowhere near the puck.  Linden was one of the first people off the bench to congratulate Mclean.  And yes, Bure on Churla was much worse. 

Edit:  We are judging this play by 2020 standards as well.  It was waaay different in 1994.

Nope.  I was right in the thick of it and you're wrong.  It was so much worse than Bure/Churla.  Churla was "actively playing hockey" and that shift it was a back and forth.  Linden was injured, defenseless and Messier preyed on that....a guy crawling off the ice on all fours.  Not part of the play.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1