The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canada vs. Russia | Semifinal | Jan. 04, 2021 | 3:00 PM PT

Rate this topic

8 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

You do you, that's your choice. I disagree with the crest bit though, Canada is a country of immigrants and always has been. As such, there are many Canadians with a wide variety of ethnic roots and countries of origin, and they can cheer for whichever country they want without my giving em a hard time. But that's my take. 

I'll give a pass if you're supporting your heritage; that's fair.

11 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

im going for russia im full team podkolzin   and canucks win it every yr pretty much  im gona start going for under dogs like germany slovakia 

seeing germany get a medal this year would be cool, but im going full canada also Podz Points.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

im going for russia im full team podkolzin   and canucks win it every yr pretty much  im gona start going for under dogs like germany slovakia 

It may seem like Canada wins gold every other year, but they have only won three gold medals over the last 11 years.

Please don't ban me but I am rooting 100% for Russia.

Mostly because I really want to see Podz dominate and drag his team to Gold winning best player award, making the rest of Canada hate us even more.

Plus as someone old enough to remember the juggernaut teams like the Pens, Oilers and Wings and the lack of Nucks prospects kind of sours me on this team. I just can't cheer for Avs, Flames or Oiler prospects, I'm not that evolved lol.

• Like 1
  • Wat 1
  • Vintage 2

4 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

Disagree. Ridiculous schedule all tourney long. As least make it 4 or 5pm for the working folk but hey Toronto gets to watch....

It's not about Toronto, it's about us 6-10 hours in the future over in Europe, so that we don't have to stay up til 8 am to watch our teams play.... 

5 pm PT is something like 2-3 am in Russia... count yourself lucky 

Edited by HorvatToBaertschi

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I hope the result of this game isn't the same as the 2011 Gold Medal Game. Especially, the third period.

That was a wicked comeback for Russia, I bet those players were so jacked beyond words. If I remember correctly I think they were kicked out of their hotel room lol. I think it was in buffalo ny

2 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

It's not about Toronto, it's about us 6-10 hours in the future over in Europe, so that we don't have to stay up til 8 am to watch our teams play.... 

5 pm PT is something like 2-3 am in Russia... count yourself lucky 

They get reasonable times for them every time the tournament is in Europe.

6 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

They get reasonable times for them every time the tournament is in Europe.

The difference is that when the tournaments are played in Europe, they are still at decent times in Canada and the USA. I live in EU and to watch Canada's games I have to either wake up at 3:30 or stay up til 7 am. Having the game at minimum 11 am on a work day, when you can PVR it and watch it later, is the definition of 1st world problems that border the ridiculous. 

Today is a good day, the game will finish at 3 am for me, and I only work at 8 am. Lucky me. Can't PVR it because TSN doesn't broadcast internationally...

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Not interested in loser medals.

I think we put too much pressure on our kids. Anything can happen in these short series. Regardless of the outcome, Canadian international hockey is stacked going forward.