The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Laffs | February 4, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

Just now, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Now that you mentioned it, I also noticed Travis Green has tied Willie Desjardins for games coached and the regular season stats are pretty similar.

Regular Season Playoffs
Rk Coach From To Yrs GP W L T OL PTS PTS% G W L T W-L%
1 Travis Green 2018 2021 4 246 108 110   28 244 .496 17 10 7   .588
2 Willie Desjardins 2015 2017 3 246 109 110   27 245 .498 6 2 4   .333

Holy crap. That's uncanny. Thanks for posting that Vintage. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, canuck2288 said:

Deboer is a great coach

he went in after Gallant and vegas got even better. 

green is a transition coach but we are getting to the point we need to move to a coach that can take us to the next level

when we played vegas, we did not adapt to their forecheck. We did not have an answer. Yes they are a good team but we needed to implement a quick d zone transition. You simply can not backtrack when faced with a bigger forecheck

I appreciate your passion for the canucks. I have the same passion 

i know we can be better but i also know it takes better coaching 

Fair assessment, but I think it comes down to expectation. Green may be a transitional coach, but can't we also say our roster is currently in a transitional state? Our roster is clearly missing a few pieces and maybe Green grows with the group or he truly is a transitional coach. Again, I agree the team is not playing well but I don't think a new coach is the team's answer right now. We have many holes.

Anyways, stay passionate and enjoy the game tonight.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

I am really sick of the schedule being a reason...whoever has played hockey at some level and played in a tournament can remember playing more than 1 game in a single day let alone say 4 games or more in a 2 day stretch.

You played in the NHL?  During COVID?  At this level of compete?

A tournament lasts...a weekend or so.   Their schedule has not allowed more than a day off in nearly a month...it matters.  No time for recovery and rest takes a toll on any body...even the best conditioned ones.  Fatigue is a thing.

Four games in a 2 days stretch....then it was over.  Gruelling, sure....but it didn't have a rinse/repeat cycle.

This is so weak.

1 minute ago, gurn said:

As I thought, post false things, get called on it, ignore it.

False things? Do you think i care about the tired angle 

thats a green go to excuse 

hockey players are elite athletes, I don’t support the tired excuse at all 

every team has played back to back. Every team is tired. Every team travels 

3 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

Fair assessment, but I think it comes down to expectation. Green may be a transitional coach, but can't we also say our roster is currently in a transitional state? Our roster is clearly missing a few pieces and maybe Green grows with the group or he truly is a transitional coach. Again, I agree the team is not playing well but I don't think a new coach is the team's answer right now. We have many holes.

Anyways, stay passionate and enjoy the game tonight.

Amen 

3 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Now that you mentioned it, I also noticed Travis Green has tied Willie Desjardins for games coached and the regular season stats are pretty similar.

Regular Season Playoffs

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Holy crap. That's uncanny. Thanks for posting that Vintage. 

So, same games coached and Willy has the better regular season record.

2 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

False things? Do you think i care about the tired angle 

thats a green go to excuse 

hockey players are elite athletes, I don’t support the tired excuse at all 

False things-go look at the North division standings.

9 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Regular Season Playoffs

So, WD>TG

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Here's a fact you're ignoring....every team EXCEPT this one has had a break of multiple days off....some more than one.  We've had only one off in between every single game and many of those one days off were spent traveling.  We're the ONLY team in this division that that applies to.  

Being tired on any job usually results in sloppiness and a lack of focus as fatigue sets in.

Is it the ONLY reason?  Nope.  But it's something.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, gurn said:

willie was given a team that was supposed to compete and give the sedins their last hurrah. green was given the task of rebuilding effectively from scratch. 

28 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

What I would like to see is a new GM, new coaching staff - a pro team that will get these young players to the Promiseland:

OK, I'll bite. You can garantee that? How? What makes you think that? Easy to rant because they lost a few games, but you have no idea that change will actually heal what ails the team. I still see a team learning to compete the right way, something that takes time, and it seems, something a few on here don"t seem to get. Not just saying this to you, its for the few that think winning in the NHL is easy.

Just now, tas said:

willie was given a team that was supposed to compete and give the sedins their last hurrah. green was given the task of rebuilding effectively from scratch. 

True, most people realize  context matters, some don't and never will.

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

Here's a fact you're ignoring....every team EXCEPT this one has had a break of multiple days off....some more than one.  We've had only one off in between every single game and many of those one days off were spent traveling.  We're the ONLY team in this division that that applies to.  

Being tired on any job usually results in sloppiness, a bit of laziness as fatigue factors in.

Is it the ONLY reason?  Nope.  But it's something.

Are pro athletes suppose to be that tired 13 games into a year? We are in TO for 6 days to play 3 games. The schedule on paper didn't look to favour us but as players that is not an excuse. Come prepared and soon we will get that oh so precious break. I remember our team having a few days off or close to a week during normal years and that "REST" shot us in the foot huge and we played like crap...with all this supposed practice time...

7 minutes ago, gurn said:

Context though would show that Willie coached a team that trended down during his tenure, while Green had taken a team that Willie left at the bottom to try and bring back up which is being done over time.

Of course the quality of players that they coached comes into play as well, but we have been trending in the right direction regardless who's the coach.

• Upvote 1