The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Green needs to go!

Rate this topic

Harold27k

1st time poster,and just had to post my frustrations.    Travis Green's player deployment has been a major to our losing streak and poor play

He insists on giving too much icetime and dressing Beagle and Roussel,both over paid and contribute nothing. Beagle is too damn passive on the penalty kill,.hardly ever attacks to get the puck down the ice and offers nothin offensively. Roussel intimidates nobody,takes too many bad penalties and another guy who can not put up points or a good physical presence.

Green seems to dislike the young big forwards like Zack Mackewen, Jake Virtanen and he starts Holtby game1 and last 2 when Demko is supposedly the go to guy and future number1

Last night we were unfortunate to be tied after 2 periods after outplaying Leafs who took us for granted. But Green started the team off defensively as John Garret correctly said on tv and sure enough a lost faceoff on 5 on 5 play by Beagle and then a shot between Holtbys legs and game over ffs

Fire Green, at least I want to see young players like Zack who will doleout body checks and drop the gloves when opposition takes cheap shots on us.  Play Demko, and sit Beagle/Roussel/ and never dress Erickson again

• Haha 2

Feel better? I agree with you. What also bothers me about Green is it looks like he takes losing too easily and  gives praise to his team after a loss. Not saying he needs to be Torts, but I wish he'd show some emotion and maybe see losses as unacceptable.

I don’t believe Green is the issue. 

Management &^@#ed the team over by not ensuring key players stayed. They bet that the remaining players would pick up the slack. 

Don’t blame a coach when he gets hamstrung because of what the bean counters do.  

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I don’t believe Green is the issue. 

Management &^@#ed the team over by not ensuring key players stayed. They bet that the remaining players would pick up the slack. 

Don’t blame a coach when he gets hamstrung because of what the bean counters do.  

Green has a way better team then they’ve shown thus far. Toffoli wasn’t even around when they were rolling in fact their record was worse with him in the lineup (for whatever reason) - still like the player. Hoglander has picked up some of the offence there as well. Tanev is the only real loss. Marky to I guess but if the were the glue then something is desperately wrong 

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Green has a way better team then they’ve shown thus far. Toffoli wasn’t even around when they were rolling in fact their record was worse with him in the lineup (for whatever reason) - still like the player. Hoglander has picked up some of the offence there as well. Tanev is the only real loss. Marky to I guess but if the were the glue then something is desperately wrong 

IMO 16 games with no pre-season and new players coming in is too early to tell. They will gel, it might be too late for this season tho. I really think they have to play Demko more, if this season is lost it can still be the development he needs to be the #1. I agree with your sentiment regarding Tanev, solid stay-at-home d excellent at shot blocking but prone to injury because of that point. Markstrom here would mean a different record, but COVID cap screwed that up.

• Vintage 1

8 hours ago, Harold27k said:

1st time poster,and just had to post my frustrations.    Travis Green's player deployment has been a major to our losing streak and poor play

He insists on giving too much icetime and dressing Beagle and Roussel,both over paid and contribute nothing. Beagle is too damn passive on the penalty kill,.hardly ever attacks to get the puck down the ice and offers nothin offensively. Roussel intimidates nobody,takes too many bad penalties and another guy who can not put up points or a good physical presence.

Green seems to dislike the young big forwards like Zack Mackewen, Jake Virtanen and he starts Holtby game1 and last 2 when Demko is supposedly the go to guy and future number1

Last night we were unfortunate to be tied after 2 periods after outplaying Leafs who took us for granted. But Green started the team off defensively as John Garret correctly said on tv and sure enough a lost faceoff on 5 on 5 play by Beagle and then a shot between Holtbys legs and game over ffs

Fire Green, at least I want to see young players like Zack who will doleout body checks and drop the gloves when opposition takes cheap shots on us.  Play Demko, and sit Beagle/Roussel/ and never dress Erickson again

I agree with all except Virtanen. Virtanen needs to leave aswell.

5 hours ago, CaptKirk888 said:

IMO 16 games with no pre-season and new players coming in is too early to tell. They will gel, it might be too late for this season tho. I really think they have to play Demko more, if this season is lost it can still be the development he needs to be the #1. I agree with your sentiment regarding Tanev, solid stay-at-home d excellent at shot blocking but prone to injury because of that point. Markstrom here would mean a different record, but COVID cap screwed that up.

Wait, what? Before the optimists wrote off months, now we’re writing of seasons? No wonder we’re a half century into a cup less run.

4 hours ago, PositionOfPower said:

I agree with all except Virtanen. Virtanen needs to leave aswell.

I can’t wait to see Jake in a new atmosphere, be it here with a new coach or elsewhere with a new team, the way he responds will show his true character, I still have faith in him and hope his lack of performance is due to his environment and how he was managed rather than laziness. Jake needs a change ASAP and the wether he sinks or swims will be all on him.

I have supported Green for some time but something is off with this team. Last game was the first game that they showed heart,

I see that we are having some issues with that in giveaways and bad passes. That is what happens when you are not used to the players around you. However, as Dangle said, the first two games the players just did not want to be there. It looked like they showed up to get paid. Sadly, heart is the coaches department. As Green himself said, it is his job to put players in a position to succeed and I do not believe that is happening.

1. PP is so predictable. It was not until this game that we saw Hughes actually skate it in. This lead to a lot of turnovers and goals against. Toffoli was able to exploit it simply because he knew the routine and could see it develop not because he is a big loss to our team as some here suggest. Then as further evidence, you would see TO leave a player at center ice and he would let the puck carrier pass him and wait for the drop pass. It is predictable and stale. Everyone knows the play and deploys accordingly. Leaders should know that you are only as good as the people that you surround yourself with. Brown is a detriment and needs to go. With that said, Green is the head coach and responsible for Brown.

2. I am hating how Green is doing the lines. Correct me if I am wrong but when Sutter scored his first hat trick, he had Virtanen on his wing opening up some space for him. The line was doing great. What happens, Virtanen gets sat.

OJ was playing well and scored his first goal. He gets sat and Chatfield in, who looked good as well until his last game. OJ gets his spot again and again almost scores. Is that Baumer or Green? Green is the head coach so takes the blame.

Big Mac has been a solid presence and has been very effective with Sutter. He is sitting.

Gaudette has been horrible. He should not be on a line with Sutter who plays more defensive minutes, yet he remains there despite that lines scoring chances dropping.

Hoglander has been doing great with Horvat. They just have great chemistry with Pearson. Then, Hoglander plays with Sutter which is a huge mistake. 

There are other examples but this is already getting too long.

I have supported Green but it is starting to waiver. We shall see in the next few games which direction this team goes

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Wait, what? Before the optimists wrote off months, now we’re writing of seasons? No wonder we’re a half century into a cup less run.

Not writing them off yet. Just saying that if the season continues this way we still need to be optimistic for the future. It may bring many changes for the good.

I still prefer that they get better and have a good season.

53 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Not writing them off yet. Just saying that if the season continues this way we still need to be optimistic for the future. It may bring many changes for the good.

I still prefer that they get better and have a good season.

It will have to bring changes for sure. I have an inkling that this season is slowly rounding the bowl, so to speak. There seems to be a general malaise amongst the core players that is noticeable on the ice. The only ones who can determine a way forward are the core players. Establish an identity amongst themselves and perpetuate it. Adversity does breed strengths if one looks at the adversity with honesty and humility. 

• Cheers 1