The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are people in the West being persecuted for their political beliefs?

14 hours ago, The Lock said:

The real problem's not the economy in the US (well the US does have problems there but that's not my point). It's with the economy in Mexico. Improve the Mexican economy and you have less people who want to move to the states. This supports the supply and demand in that you have less supply then from Mexico and thus more demand for those low-paying jobs in the states, raising the wages of those jobs.

It's a solid idea, however I don't think you can stop at Mexico.

Many of the illegals showing up at the US border aren't even from Mexico....they're from Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador and Nicaragua....

Many of these people are fleeing from the Cartels and gangs. They literally show up at the border knowing that they'll likely be separated from their children, with no guarantee that they'll be reunited.....But they do it anyway. That's how desperate they are....

But according to Trumpists like Kragar, I'm the racist for wanting these folks to be granted asylum...:rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

It's a solid idea, however I don't think you can stop at Mexico.

Many of the illegals showing up at the US border aren't even from Mexico....they're from Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador and Nicaragua....

Many of these people are fleeing from the Cartels and gangs. They literally show up at the border knowing that they'll likely be separated from their children, with no guarantee that they'll be reunited.....But they do it anyway. That's how desperate they are....

But according to Trumpists like Kragar, I'm the racist for wanting these folks to be granted asylum...:rolleyes:

Well perhaps then the US needs to also assist in fighting cartels. They have the manpower.

I do agree though that it probably doesn't stop in just Mexico, but I'm more a believer in that sometimes half the battle is just starting and starting with 1 country is going to be easier than starting with several.

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Well perhaps then the US needs to also assist in fighting cartels. They have the manpower.

I do agree though that it probably doesn't stop in just Mexico, but I'm more a believer in that sometimes half the battle is just starting and starting with 1 country is going to be easier than starting with several.

Maybe. And certainly some sort of action is better than nothing.

As far as helping to fight the cartels, I'm not sure if that can even be done. It would require some sort of occupying force. Not out of the realm of possibility I suppose, but I wonder how much enthusiasm there would be for creating another Afghanistan, even if it were closer to home.

IMO, the far better idea would be to decriminalize drug possession across the board, regulate and tax the sale and treat them like alcohol and cigarettes. In effect, take the bulk of the criminal element out of the equation....

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

Maybe. And certainly some sort of action is better than nothing.

As far as helping to fight the cartels, I'm not sure if that can even be done. It would require some sort of occupying force. Not out of the realm of possibility I suppose, but I wonder how much enthusiasm there would be for creating another Afghanistan, even if it were closer to home.

IMO, the far better idea would be to decriminalize drug possession across the board, regulate and tax the sale and treat them like alcohol and cigarettes. In effect, take the bulk of the criminal element out of the equation....

I can't disagree there really. Even if you can convince one of those countries to decriminalize, I think it would only be a matter of time before other countries follow suit.

It's always nice theorizing on what could be. There are definitely methods to combat all of this. Convincing however is a whole different ballgame unfortunately.

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

I can't disagree there really. Even if you can convince one of those countries to decriminalize, I think it would only be a matter of time before other countries follow suit.

It's always nice theorizing on what could be. There are definitely methods to combat all of this. Convincing however is a whole different ballgame unfortunately.

Actually, I'm talking about decriminalizing in the states. It's the illicit nature of the product that makes it so lucrative for the Cartels. If everything were above board, the inherent violence would be unnecessary and people from central America wouldn't have to be so desperate to leave.

16 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Actually, I'm talking about decriminalizing in the states. It's the illicit nature of the product that makes it so lucrative for the Cartels. If everything were above board, the inherent violence would be unnecessary and people from central America wouldn't have to be so desperate to leave.

I think that will happen anyway. Each election, more and more states have more relaxed laws for marijuana and it's now only the most conservative state governments that don't allow it. Oregon was just the first state in the 2020 election to decriminalize drugs altogether, so it's happening. It'll be slow, but it's happening.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

They may have the manpower but not the will...after all they created the cartels for political and economic purposes. You don’t really think that some street gangster rises to the top of a cartel with out making deals with the rich overlords. I would venture to guess most of those overlords are located in the US and Europe. 

1 minute ago, spur1 said:

They may have the manpower but not the will...after all they created the cartels for political and economic purposes. You don’t really think that some street gangster rises to the top of a cartel with out making deals with the rich overlords. I would venture to guess most of those overlords are located in the US and Europe. 

But are those cartel overlords in the political system? It's possible but do we actually know that for certain?

I'd argue that they wouldn't have the will due to different parties having different interests and this doesn't even consider how messed up the US political system is at the moment. So I do agree that the will to do this is questionable, but I don't think it's because of the overlords, at least not directly as the overlords can of course bribe the politicians.

Still, if what I've thought of is actually presented to congress and there's enough politicians that do agree on it, there is that possibility that it does get passed. It's an uphill battle, and I think that's what you're implying here, but it's not impossible either.

I think this story is right in the wheelhouse of this thread:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/newspolitics/people-are-boycotting-publix-because-a-member-of-its-founding-family-gave-dollar300000-to-the-trump-rally-that-led-to-the-january-6-capitol-riots/ar-BB1dHUBl?li=AAggNb9

People are calling for a boycott of Publix after the Wall Street Journal unmasked an heiress to the Southern grocery empire as the top donor to the Trump rally that led to the Capitol riots on January 6.

Julie Jenkins Fancelli, an heiress to the Publix founding family's nearly $9 billion fortune, has previously donated millions to Republican causes and candidates. On January 30, the WSJ reported Fancelli as having contributed $300,000 out of the roughly $500,000 total raised for Trump's now-infamous "Stop the Steal" rally.

Publix has a dedicated fanbase, but Fancelli's contribution to the rally was the last straw for many loyal customers, The Guardian reported Monday. On Monday, the hashtag #BoycottPublix was trending on Twitter, with many users expressing outrage and claiming betrayal over Fancelli's donation.

Fancelli's donation was facilitated by far-right conspiracy theorist Alex Jones, who himself donated $50,000 to the rally that led to the deaths of five people, the Journal reported.

I would boycott as well, but I'm interested in others' opinions. Is this an example of "Cancel Culture"? Is it unfair?

13 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/newspolitics/people-are-boycotting-publix-because-a-member-of-its-founding-family-gave-dollar300000-to-the-trump-rally-that-led-to-the-january-6-capitol-riots/ar-BB1dHUBl?li=AAggNb9

I would boycott as well, but I'm interested in others' opinions. Is this an example of "Cancel Culture"? Is it unfair?

It’s tricky isn’t it. You kind of have to pick your spots or you’d be boycotting most everything. Then you have companies like Goya where one side boycotts and the other side over buys. 
I know this though, I would sleep on a pillowcase filled with bricks before I’d buy a Mypillow.

• Cheers 1

Just now, 4petesake said:

It’s tricky isn’t it. You kind of have to pick your spots or you’d be boycotting most everything. Then you have companies like Goya where one side boycotts and the other side over buys. 
I know this though, I would sleep on a pillowcase filled with bricks before I’d buy a Mypillow.

It is. As much as I'd like to see this woman lose money, she's still going to be a billionaire no matter what.

So who gets hurt by a boycott? The people who work for the company....

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I kind of understand 'cancel culture' as referring to people in authority doing the cancelling, not an individual average person.  For an individual average person, that's simply exercising personal choice.

It's one thing for you, as an individual, to decide to boycott, say, Jeff Bezos and Amazon.  It's another for Jeff Bezos and Amazon to decide to boycott you. 

20 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

I think that It’s more about the latter. The Newt Gingrich doctrine that Trump has glommed onto. It’s a very racist doctrine that harkens back to the “good old days” when immigrants weren’t flooding into the country, snapping up all the good jobs.

A lot of people that buy into this world view don’t like being called on it. Hence the whataboutism and all the bleating about being “persecuted” by Libtards. 

19 hours ago, 4petesake said:

The very idea of “build the wall, build the wall” is beyond ridiculous. Suppose just for a moment that it actually accomplished keeping illegal immigrants out. Now the people doing the chanting can have access to all the menial low-paying jobs that they already don’t want. Full-time jobs paying liveable wages are the problem not immigrants.

Anti immigration sentiment  is as American as apple pie and peanut butter.
Nothing that we see today has not been seen before, just different “actors” are involved.

377A4974-2FCE-44BA-883F-A5D25E952A1B.jpeg

72446B31-7087-4F0D-B7B5-E8F46FEB80B1.jpeg

5C5BC350-D7B0-40CA-9B01-D4A31F07C103.png

2CFA5D4A-A0E2-4604-AFD6-14B18352DD70.jpeg

• Vintage 3

47 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Nothing that we see today has not been seen before, just different “actors” are involved.

The problem is, after more than a century you would hope that people had evolved....<_<

1 hour ago, CBH1926 said:

Amen to that, My family came to America in 1955 from Ireland. Landed in New York and hopped on a train all the way to Vancouver., where we settled down. Growing up in East Van, the Chinese immigrants were taking the brunt of the racism in those days.

• Cheers 2

9 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats really true, when you read the un-watered down versions of the classics you see that the Greeks in particular were pretty wild. 

I think the world is a pretty ugly place a lot of the time, and if we just did business with countries that believed what we do we'd be an island. Canada's a pretty special place, we actually have a sense of fairness built into our systems, which of course fails often but we try harder than many countries to get it right. 

I also think the stronger economic links we can have with countries the more chance we have at effecting changes. Again, doesn't always get the job done, but the alternative is sanctions which never do much or isolation which does nothing. 

Right now with Xi running China its not doing us much good, but we'll see where we end up with them in the long run.

It's not just just economic links but social,educational,sporting the whole spectrum of human interaction.

I know I keep saying this,however until we see ourselves as all being human being's sharing this planet rather than a disparate group of nations/countries,not much is going to change.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, The Lock said:

The US  government has a history of bringing drugs into the country.

50 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Even if that's true (and I'm sure it is), history doesn't have to repeat itself either. ;)

Mate Ollie North.

Not only was he working with cocaine traffickers he was funneling the money to terrorist's.

Check out the movie White boy Rick 

Based on a true story of a  14 year old kid the feds approached and used to traffic drugs.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

The problem is, after more than a century you would hope that people had evolved....<_<

Unfortunately when it comes to certain things, people will never evolve.

Truth be told, for every racist that I have encountered that has been in the U.S for generations.

I can show you way more that are immigrants and come from immigrant families.

It feels almost like a tradition, for every ethnic group on their way, up to $&!# on another group deemed bellow them.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1