The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Does superstion have a future in hockey?

Rate this topic

LeafsFanDan

14 minutes ago, LeafsFanDan said:

Problem arises when players skip the hardwork  sleep or extra practice time in "lue" of superstition.

Unless you can somehow directly correlate or show specific examples of how players "skip the hard work" in lue of superstition, this is a ridiculous statement and makes me think you don't really work in the field of psychology, cuz if you did you'd know that statement is a fallacy.

• Cheers 1

In lieu of? in loui of  in lewis of?

Who says there isn't a higher force.

I was helping a friend make an asian style dinner for her family. She asked me if she should include cutlery or just supply chopsticks. Just then, an old dude in a ratty old hoody appeared and said "Use the forks Luke, use the forks."  Aside from getting my name wrong, it was good advice. Her family didn't know how to use chopsticks. How do you explain away that?

35 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

This is what I care about that players do:

- Practice hard

- Play hard

- Stay in shape and workout regularly

- Eat healthy.

- Get a good nights sleep. 

Do I give a damn if the player when he wakes up, no matter where he is. Gets up early, makes his bed and insists on a bowl of Shreddies? No.

do you follow your own advice? i don't.

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

do you follow your own advice? i don't.

1.5 out of 5 ain't bad? ;)

Besides I'm not a professional athlete. 

Or if I was a personal trainer, making a living from helping others get better, yes I would. 

Edited by Ghostsof1915

Let's ban Carter Hart from his squirting his waterbottle in the air 'ritual'.  

And fine Holtby every time he does.

Why not ban positive visualization altogether, while we're at it. 

These are nothing but people looking to follow in the tracks of their successes - whether 'rational' or not - is not really the point - or anyone else's jurisdiction, for that matter. 

But I'm sure the OP knows this.

Er, I propose we micromanage the minutae of every player's consciousness!

And the colour of their underwear.

But good luck with your petition. 

I recommend taking it to the Leafs.   You're probably a bit late though - it might have had a better chance of legs under LouLame, who pretends he has the right to dictate whether a player grows facial hair...

3 hours ago, LeafsFanDan said:

Problem arises when players skip the hardwork  sleep or extra practice time in "lue" of superstition.

Do you have actual proof of players doing this and it being actually detrimental to their game? I want concrete evidence and not just "examples of what could be".

Simply put, I'm not convinced this is a problem to begin with.

Edited by The Lock

3 hours ago, LeafsFanDan said:

Your comment made no sense..  banning superstition will quickly be accepted, its not in a contact or anyone's best interest to leave sports over ban of superstition. What do you mean bye bye sports? Clearly you aren't a serious person who studies mental issues or performance related dilemmas.

Again, where's your proof on this? Look at this thread and tell me how many people right now are accepting of this besides you.

Also, are you implying that people who have some sort of superstition have mental issues or performance related dilemma, because you might want to be careful about your words here if you say this isn't intended to offend anyone.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

Do you have actual proof of players doing this and it being actually detrimental to their game? I want concrete evidence and not just "examples of what could be".

Simply put, I'm not convinced this is a problem to begin with.

Lol, the problem is it offends him personally. I believe the word he used earlier was "alarming". <_<

But I will say, as ridiculous as this whole thing is, I actually had a very anti-religious friend who wrote his master's thesis in philosophy arguing that people who believe in religion are - I can't quite remember the technical term, but something like - "noetically compromised". Basically that it is a mind virus and that it will inevitably infect and affect the rest of your belief system.

But anyway, I was fine with LeafFanDan's argument - because hey, everyone is entitled to their opinion and whatnot, and it was funny and amusing. But when he suggested banning superstitions, well, I mean it was still funny and amusing, but in a much creepier way.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, LeafsFanDan said:

Problem is that while superstition can be excusable at some basic level its not acceptable at proffessional level.

By buying into superstition the players effectively give power to a force greater than then selves. They undermine their own abilities and training and relinquish control of the outcome to a force/entity they call superstition.

I work in psychology and in my circles its widely accepted that superstition is deeply damaging at proffesional levels be it sports, gambling, performance whatever.

Imagine a doctor being super stitious or a teacher, basically setting their training aside to follow some imaginary belief. Has 0 place in sports, sooner fans understand this the better I feel.

they are playing a game  at a professional level  if superstition is not acceptable  why is there no 4 th or 13 th floor in a building then  ?  Aren't those designed by professional architects and engineers ,  so explain that one?  

9 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Lol, the problem is it offends him personally. I believe the word he used earlier was "alarming". <_<

But I will say, as ridiculous as this whole thing is, I actually had a very anti-religious friend who wrote his master's thesis in philosophy arguing that people who believe in religion are - I can't quite remember the technical term, but something like - "noetically compromised". Basically that it is a mind virus and that it will inevitably infect and affect the rest of your belief system.

But anyway, I was fine with LeafFanDan's argument - because hey, everyone is entitled to their opinion and whatnot, and it was funny and amusing. But when he suggested banning superstitions, well, I mean it was still funny and amusing, but in a much creepier way.

Yeah I just think there's a line he can cross and he might not realise it, well I guess he actually does realise it since he even mentioned that at the beginning, but still.

To be fair, I am a little intrigued by how someone does come to thinking like the op does. Like what actually makes one "logically conclude" that superstition's a bad thing in the end? Is it personal history with it? Is it wanting the best for the players while jumping to conclusions without looking for actual evidence? It's interesting.

50 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Yeah I just think there's a line he can cross and he might not realise it, well I guess he actually does realise it since he even mentioned that at the beginning, but still.

To be fair, I am a little intrigued by how someone does come to thinking like the op does. Like what actually makes one "logically conclude" that superstition's a bad thing in the end? Is it personal history with it? Is it wanting the best for the players while jumping to conclusions without looking for actual evidence? It's interesting.

Honestly there's a pretty big part of me that thinks he's just trolling, but if he's for real, I dunno. He says he works in psychology, but I can't see how somebody could achieve that level of education with such poor argumentation skills. Like the whole point about "if a doctor were to practice superstition" is clearly a rhetorical device, not a real argument, because it seems to have argumentative potency at first glance, but it falls apart at the slightest rational reflection. It's not like players are actually on the ice mid-game and making decisions based on their superstitions. And a doctor could easily say a hail mary or dance a jig before each patient, and still practice their medicine with perfect competency.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, the grinder said:

they are playing a game  at a professional level  if superstition is not acceptable  why is there no 4 th or 13 th floor in a building then  ?  Aren't those designed by professional architects and engineers ,  so explain that one?  

Uh what you mean? I live in Van in a building and it has 4th and 13th floor. Of course buildings have floors, 4th, 7th, 10th, 13th, 25th whatever how high the building is...what do floors have to do with anything why bring floors into an educated argument?

3 minutes ago, LeafsFanDan said:

Uh what you mean? I live in Van in a building and it has 4th and 13th floor. Of course buildings have floors, 4th, 7th, 10th, 13th, 25th whatever how high the building is...what do floors have to do with anything why bring floors into an educated argument?

The next time you're at your elevator, check the buttons. See if it skips 13 or not. It's mostly in hotels from what I understand, but it's likely in other places as well.

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

Uh, have you not seen clips of Holtby talking to him self? Thats alarming, disturbing etc..  if you aren't affected or can rationalize it thats great but I can't and I am willing to bet others aren't.

Here is an athlete that we support on our dime we pay his salary by buying tickets and the guy is acting creepy and manic.

A high level professional earned his spot through hard work sacrifice and drive and not because he is guided by a higher power how ridiculous why aren't you seeing my point? By giving into superstition you are throwing away all your percieved talents and skills and essentially start to "buy in" to a mentality that you don't have control but something higher than you does  - in our field of science of the mind when a subject loses control of their mind and their actions they lose their ability to affect and effect the outcome and this fact completely undermines the word "elite  world athelte".

Edited by LeafsFanDan