The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Calgary Lames | February 17, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SN1, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 minute ago, Googlie said:

Is it any surprise that our new leader in # of takeaways this season, with 15. Is Hoglander?  Next up is Petey, Pearson and QH with 10 apiece.

Per 60 minutes, though, surprisingly, the leader at 4.32 is, .......Loui.  Yes.  Hogz is at an even 3.00 per 60 mins.  Go figure.

Sample size... Loui’s number is meaningless because he has played too few minutes and stats like that are too volatile to mean anything without enough minutes played.

4 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I have to disagree with you there.  Loui is always the responsible one that's also covering for the d-men, so he puts himself in a position more often where he HAS to make defensive plays.  

Loui's been better for my money then Roussel and Jake in the last few games.  

I don't disagree regarding his positioning - my point is that that is virtually all he is bringing.  There are circumstances where positioning is not enough.

I think Roussel has been much better lately - so I can't share that perspective with you - and where Jake is concerned, Jake also generally gets to the right areas of the ice, particularly in his zone (something Green has obviously emphasized with him since Utica) - but at least with Jake there's the possibility he's going to lay the body, or drive the net...With LE it's as though he's entirely content to do nothing beyond gaining a zone exit (and even there, when it's necessary to get his nose dirty, he's spotty - and when you're 35 and making 6 million, my expectations are not on par with a young 24 yr old).

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 3

20 minutes ago, oldnews said:

The principal thing that convinced me Juolevi was a good pick - even if 'risky' - is that his bread and butter is his hockey intelligence (about as 'safe' a basis as there is imo).

He may have been slight - but the brain is the most important 'muscle'.

Good to see he got 19 minutes..thats a sign of confidence from the coaching staff.

3 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Is it any surprise that our new leader in # of takeaways this season, with 15. Is Hoglander?  Next up is Petey, Pearson and QH with 10 apiece.

Per 60 minutes, though, surprisingly, the leader at 4.32 is, .......Loui.  Yes.  Hogz is at an even 3.00 per 60 mins.  Go figure.

Don't tell that to @oldnews :P

Just now, oldnews said:

I don't disagree regarding his positioning - my point is that that is virtually all he is bringing.  There are circumstances where positioning is not enough.

I think Roussel has been much better lately - so I can't share that perspective with you - and where Jake is concerned, Jake also generally gets to the right areas of the ice, particularly in his zone (something Green has obviously emphasized with him since Utica) - but at least with Jake there's the possibility he's going to lay the body, or drive the net...With LE it's as though he's entirely content to do nothing beyond gaining a zone exit (and even there, when it's necessary to get his nose dirty, he's spotty).

Harm reduction oldnews!  Harm reduction my friend.  

Insite = Loui 

13 minutes ago, oldnews said:

The principal thing that convinced me Juolevi was a good pick - even if 'risky' - is that his bread and butter is his hockey intelligence (about as 'safe' a basis as there is imo).

He may have been slight - but the brain is the most important 'muscle'.

His resurgence is the biggest surprise this year. I basically mourned his death. I’m just so happy for the kid. Very soft spoken, seems humble. it’s hard not to cheer for a guy that’s quietly climbed out of the gutter. You can almost see the rain clouds above his head evaporating. That boy was cursed.  

9 minutes ago, oldnews said:

It's too bad one of Hughes or OJ weren't a RHD - the two of them coulda made a helluva future pairing otherwise.

But whatever - having them on separate pairings - 6 of 1, really.

One on each pair works just fine. It is good to have a stud on each pair, I like what I see in Juolevi, he can definitely be a very good top 4 D in 2-3 years.

53 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Myers had a solid game as most of our guys tonight. 

Serious question. Which 3 dmen do we protect in the entry draft and who is exempt? 

Schmidt and whoever we pick up for cheap from other teams who can’t protect their own guys.

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Tkachuk - 10 points 

Hoglander - 9 points 

Hoglander is already a better player than Tkachuk. Podkolzin will be as well. And Juolevi. 

Petey, Quinn, Boeser, Miller, Demko, BO. 

The kids are gonna be alright...

even though i hate tkachuk, completely different styles at the game