The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Calgary Lames | February 17, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SN1, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

What's annoying about Tketchup are not simply his antics - but also the responses to him.

Myers had the best approach thus far this season when he simply got full value with a shiver.

People whine constantly about Virtanen - but he's the only guy that got in Tketchup's face last night - dropped his gloves and was ready to go while Tketchup kept his on and clutch and grabbed in avoidance.  Kudos to Virtanen for being game while not crossing the line and taking a penalty in a very tight game.

The captain, on the other hand - looked away/turned the other cheek - where he needs to be showing Tketchup an appropriate level of both pushback and disrespect.

That - along with another generally light effort by Horvat was the most disappointing aspect of that loss imo (and I'm not simply microing his back-breaking giveaway).

Aside from set play powerplay goals and faceoffs - Horvat's game has been sub par - and when that's the case with your captain, it's hard to be calling out depth players - borderline inappropriate to be.

Virtanen last night had 0% ozone starts, 41.7% corsi, 2 shots and a hit (in 6:52....Horvat had 2 hits in 19:54 to give with the LE snowshower non-hit on the forecheck).

The goal after Virtanen didn't manage to clear the zone (with a fraction of time and a blueliner and Lucic on him...) - there were a chain of errors/mistakes on that play that preceded, included a worse failure to clear, and an exhaustion/frustration 'slash' that Juolevi took (an extremely rare incident where Juolevi wasn't at the top of his game).  In any event, the dwelling on Virtanen gets that much more absurd on a night like last night - where the real gaffs - and vacancies - came from the top down.

MIller has been taking comparable heat - but right before the Boeser goal to tie the game, he absolutely ran over a defenseman in the neutral zone and set the tone that, shorthanded or not, they meant business = that lifted the team.   The other best hit of the night came in one of Virtanen's 6+ minutes - where he absolutely ran over the opposing captain/Giordano.

Agreed. I see more physical play out of Virtanen and Miller than Horvat. Should the captain not set the tone for the entire team? If so, Bo seemingly wants to set a tone of passivity. 

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, oldnews said:

What's annoying about Tketchup are not simply his antics - but also the responses to him.

Myers had the best approach thus far this season when he simply got full value with a shiver.

People whine constantly about Virtanen - but he's the only guy that got in Tketchup's face last night - dropped his gloves and was ready to go while Tketchup kept his on and clutch and grabbed in avoidance.  Kudos to Virtanen for being game while not crossing the line and taking a penalty in a very tight game.

The captain, on the other hand - looked away/turned the other cheek - where he needs to be showing Tketchup an appropriate level of both pushback and disrespect.

That - along with another generally light effort by Horvat was the most disappointing aspect of that loss imo (and I'm not simply microing his back-breaking giveaway).

Aside from set play powerplay goals and faceoffs - Horvat's game has been sub par - and when that's the case with your captain, it's hard to be calling out depth players - borderline inappropriate to be.

Virtanen last night had 0% ozone starts, 41.7% corsi, 2 shots and a hit (in 6:52....Horvat had 2 hits in 19:54 to give with the LE snowshower non-hit on the forecheck).

The goal after Virtanen didn't manage to clear the zone (with a fraction of time and a blueliner and Lucic on him...) - there were a chain of errors/mistakes on that play that preceded, included a worse failure to clear, and an exhaustion/frustration 'slash' that Juolevi took (an extremely rare incident where Juolevi wasn't at the top of his game).  In any event, the dwelling on Virtanen gets that much more absurd on a night like last night - where the real gaffs - and vacancies - came from the top down.

MIller has been taking comparable heat - but right before the Boeser goal to tie the game, he absolutely ran over a defenseman in the neutral zone and set the tone that, shorthanded or not, they meant business = that lifted the team.   The other best hit of the night came in one of Virtanen's 6+ minutes - where he absolutely ran over the opposing captain/Giordano.

Agree completely about Jakes shift with Tkthunk, he looked ready to go and had him in a good grip ready to start feeding him but thought of the possible PP coming for Van. I hope Jake absolutely levels the guy then kicks his ass after. Nothing would make me happier. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, knucklehead91 said:

Loui saved a goal last night and drew a penalty all in the same play. Usually when you prevent a goal you are the one taking the penalty, not drawing one. The guy may not have that scoring touch anymore, but he sure as hell contributes in an area that is equally as important. 

Yeah Loui has been playing well since he got a chance, good for him. Our 4th has played alright overall since put together 

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Agreed. I see more physical play out of Virtanen and Miller than Horvat. Should the captain not set the tone for the entire team? If so, Bo seemingly wants to set a tone of passivity. 

Yeah too much turn the other cheek, I’d like to see him hit a lot more. Release the bull! 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Yeah Loui has been playing well since he got a chance, good for him. Our 4th has played alright overall since put together 

Agreed, I’ve liked our 4th line’s effort each game. Also... how about Horvat starting to throw his weight around?? Hes been throwing some hard bodychecks lately, which he never used to. I hope to keep seeing more of that from the Ox

• Vintage 1

24 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Im gunna have to disagree with you here. Horvat HAS been throwing his weight around the last few games. He crushed a few lames players last night. Something he usually doesnt do, but he was definitely finishing checks last night and the previous game

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Sad 1