The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

7-11 in Ontario to seek on-site liquor sales

ImConfused

Booze  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

19 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Feel sorry for the kids getting paid minimum wage dealing with having to ask for ID or refusing to sell booze to someone who is drunk.

I ran a group of LRS shops.

One was in the DTES. I could not imagine the 7-11's down there having to deal with those customers. I was just watching this morning, the reports of violent thefts  at convenience stores and the big increase this year in Vancouver. This idea would be a mess.

Edited by bishopshodan

6 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

The rip on corner/grocery stores in the states is that they become liquor stores mostly and little else.

It's one of our BC gov's reasons for making sure grocery stores are at least 10,000 sq ft and they can't allocate too much space for booze. 

Yeah, I don't buy that one. They sell a lot of different stuff. It isn't disproportionate in Washington, at least.  

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Yeah, I don't buy that one. They sell a lot of different stuff. It isn't disproportionate in Washington, at least.  

I'll take your word for it. I don't go to that country.

I was a member of the BCPLSA for a while, had to hear all the reasons when this came up. I also imagine that the rules change state to state. Obviously my bosses, LRS owners, were concerned when the Yap report came out.

4 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Uhh I could problems arising with 24 hour 7-11’s. 

When it’s one guy/gal working they’re easy pickings for robbery late at night, even if the liquor is locked by a certain point. 

It's not needed for big cities and smaller areas can already apply for a rural license which means you can have it on the grocery store shelves. Some smaller ski resorts apply for this. Another stat I heard was that most grocery stores in BC have a liquor store within 100ft also.

Side note. 

Why isn't recreational Marijuana sold in liquor stores? They wanted it, in fact it's the only thing the union and LRS'rs came together on. The reasoning is that they already have the infrastructure to sell a controlled substance.

One day THC infused drinks will be more available. But they can't be listed at the liquor store. It sucks that you have to visit two different shops for your evening bevies.

6 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

It's not needed for big cities and smaller areas can already apply for a rural license which means you can have it on the grocery store shelves. Some smaller ski resorts apply for this. Another stat I heard was that most grocery stores in BC have a liquor store within 100ft also.

Side note. 

Why isn't recreational Marijuana sold in liquor stores? They wanted it, in fact it's the only thing the union and LRS'rs came together on. The reasoning is that they already have the infrastructure to sell a controlled substance.

One day THC infused drinks will be more available. But they can't be listed at the liquor store. It sucks that you have to visit two different shops for your evening bevies.

grocery stores aren’t open 24/7 and/or have more than 1 person working plus security. 

2am a 7-11 is gonna have one person working, even in cities in the lower-mainland besides downtown Vancouver. 

Hell if I see lottery tickets on display late at 7-11 with a female working I’d tell her to put that $&!# away. I have twice before. 

Rather be safe than sorry. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

grocery stores aren’t open 24/7 and/or have more than 1 person working plus security. 

2am a 7-11 is gonna have one person working, even in cities in the lower-mainland besides downtown Vancouver. 

Hell if I see lottery tickets on display late at 7-11 with a female working I’d tell her to put that $&!# away. I have twice before. 

Rather be safe than sorry. 

What is a grocery store? Over 10,000 sq ft?  ...the Independent on Davie in Van was 24hrs for years, but I hear you.

They would have to change the rules.

All clerks would have to have 'serving it right'. The shops would have to identify their 'blue line' which is where they store and sell the booze.  Anyway there would/should be a lot of things they would have to change. 

30 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

That would explain why the Ironwood Slave-On has booze even though it's less than 1 km away from the nearest BC Liquor (in fact probably not even 100m away).

I never understood that. The Liquor Store in Ironwood is what 100 yards away? Why sell beer and wine? The one in Terra Nova doesn't and there's a small private store in the same mall. Maybe they figure they got the space why not use it? 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

That would explain why the Ironwood Slave-On has booze even though it's less than 1 km away from the nearest BC Liquor (in fact probably not even 100m away).

Yep, these new licenses get to skirt the 1 km rule. They can't sell hard liquor but  I think that's a matter of time. Don't know where they are at right now, they were going to add craft beer to these grocery store licenses i heard. 

They also looked at a store within a store model, that would/could be a full liquor shop but I believe that would still have to adhere to the 1km.

It really was a gross move, it was actually in contradiction to NAFTA at the time. There was challenges to BC gov from Aus and Cali wine industries. This was because as the Libs were pushing it through, they claimed it would be BC only wines. That would have gone against NAFTA. It was a red herring anyway. They knew they would get challenges and intended to lose so they could bring in cheap import swill. This is also why the BC wine industry was against it despite being told they would be exclusive on the shelves. 

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

What is a grocery store? Over 10,000 sq ft?  ...the Independent on Davie in Van was 24hrs for years, but I hear you.

They would have to change the rules.

All clerks would have to have 'serving it right'. The shops would have to identify their 'blue line' which is where they store and sell the booze.  Anyway there would/should be a lot of things they would have to change. 

I was suprised to see the Superstore in Langley selling wine when i first went there at the start of COVID. 

I never drink, but it seemed like anyone could walk through the section (incl minors), and you had to go to designated cashiers that had their serving it right (they had a sign next to the lane number)

I haven't seen that in Coquitlam or Vancouver...

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, rychicken said:

I was suprised to see the Superstore in Langley selling wine when i first went there at the start of COVID. 

I never drink, but it seemed like anyone could walk through the section (incl minors), and you had to go to designated cashiers that had their serving it right (they had a sign next to the lane number)

I haven't seen that in Coquitlam or Vancouver...

If a minor really wants to get drunk / high...... they could likely buy a bag of weed within a block of their home in less than 5 minutes....   or grab a bottle of booze from a parents liqour cabinet..

Do we really need archiac laws to protect young people.....  i think not.   If kids want to get booze/weed... they will always find a way.    European countries are so far ahead of us in so many ways. 

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Cheers 1