The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 Draft Prospect Discussion

Rate this topic

Provost

Hopefully they don’t change the draft odds (as they are discussing now) which could lower our odds...  but the top end of the draft is high on D, so we should get a good player.

Power, Edvinsson, Clarke, Hughes... one should be available in our draft range.

https://www.tsn.ca/blueliner-owen-power-tops-mckenzie-s-first-2021-draft-ranking-1.1561354

Edited by Provost
  • Sad 1
  • RoughGame 1

45 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

It’s pretty much a guarantee we will get a top 10, if not a top 5 pick. Hopefully whoever we get will be long the lines of the last 3 first rounders; Petey, Hughes and Brock....

I think we'll be pretty $&!#ty next year too. But we'll prob do better cuz the Pacific division is a weaker division than the North division i THINK

3 hours ago, ImConfused said:

So after the next loss, is it gonna be a "What city should the team relocate to" thread?

:emot-parrot:

I'm as upset as the next fan, but relocation talks is ridiculous. let's stop that. 

The Canucks, no matter how much they suck, will always belong to Vancity.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

I'm just hoping we jump for once instead of dropping 2-3 spots

But who am I kidding, I know we're gonna drop 2-3 spots 

The Canucks and their luck, this will be the year we win first overall. LOL 

Who do we pick and select at that point? Powers? Brandt? 

Currently 3rd last in points percentage and Ottawa are playing better than us se we may well end up with a top-2 pick. I wonder if we go for Beniers who might be a great future top-6 forward/center, or one of the many LDs such as Hughes, Power or Advinsson.

I think there's no generational talent here so pick the best available player, probably going to end up a defenceman, and hope someone can play their off-wing (probably try Quinn Hughes because he skates so well and doesn't really defend backing up anyway?).

Here is a link with the discussion of the draft being pushed back to 2022.

With us looking at a top pick, I would fully endorse this.  Some chance to actually scout and have a bit of a better idea who is developing will really give us a better shot at picking the right guy.  Right now it is a bit of a crap shoot.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/~2133098

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

10 hours ago, ImConfused said:

So after the next loss, is it gonna be a "What city should the team relocate to" thread?

:emot-parrot:

You keep acting like the team is going to make the playoffs and that Travis still has the room. :picard:

You’re still butt hurt about that awful thread re extending Green. You seem to continue to send sad faces to posts that don’t fit your misguided narrative. 

Edited by grandmaster
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

I like Clarke, Hughes or Poor Moody boy Johnston. He's this drafts Pettersson.  

I like Clarke as a RHD. 

If we select Hughes, I hope it's more because he's the BPA in the place we're selecting and we're not choosing him simply because of his last name. 

I don't know the Johnston kid. He any good? RHD or LHD? 

We need to pick a defenseman with our 1st rounder, since that area of our prospects is pretty much depleted. We have nobody coming up the pipeline that is a grade A type player - a top defenseman, aside from Quinn who is already in the line up. 

10 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I'm as upset as the next fan, but relocation talks is ridiculous. let's stop that. 

The Canucks, no matter how much they suck, will always belong to Vancity.

Oh I know it's just after every loss the OP makes a thread about firing someone or drafting in the top 5 which usually contains a lot of hyperbole and naysaying so I was just predicting the next step in the progression of his doomsday logic. Next loss, team relocation - loss after that, deport Green to Siberia - etc.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, ImConfused said:

Oh I know it's just after every loss the OP makes a thread about firing someone or drafting in the top 5 which usually contains a lot of hyperbole and naysaying so I was just predicting the next step in the progression of his doomsday logic. Next loss, team relocation - loss after that, deport Green to Siberia - etc.

Wait.... you mean the thread I made giving an evidence-based opinion that "the playoffs were almost out of reach", and that I was also objectively right about?

How is that hyperbole exactly?  At the time we had about a 5% chance to make the playoffs, which is literally "the playoffs are almost out of reach" territory.  Several days later everyone else has reached the same math (and we are less than 3% chance of making the playoffs).  People were literally asking me to make the thread title more stark and less soft pedalling about our remote chances.

Do you know what words mean?  It wasn't an exaggerated statement and it was clearly meant to be taken literally.  You can't just invent different meanings for words... there are dictionaries to help you.

hy·per·bo·le
/hīˈpərbəlē/
noun
  1. exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.

This thread... also not hyperbole.  We are looking at an almost certain lottery pick, so discussing those options is not exaggerated, and it is absolutely meant to be taken literally.

Your post about making up a relocation thread... now that is actually what the definition of hyperbole is. Assuming that is, I am right by being incredibly generous by giving you the credit that you didn't mean it literally?
    If  you meant it to be taken literally and thought we should start a relocation thread or were literally trying to suggest that I was going to make a relocation thread (I can't actually be sure of your intent), that is just dumb.  The other things about making threads after every loss to fire people or send Green to Siberia are simply lies.

dumb

adjective

dumber; dumbest

Definition of dumb

1a: lacking intelligence : STUPID pretended to be dumb
    b: showing a lack of intelligence asking dumb questions; a dumb look on his face

lie

verb 
    lied; lying\ ˈlī-iŋ  \

intransitive verb

1: to make an untrue statement with intent to deceive
    2: to create a false or misleading impression
Edited by Provost
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Either one of Clarke or (local kid) KJ and I hope he doesnt follow the JV developemental curve....

It is so hard to figure out this year.  There aren’t easy to determine tiers or a stand out  consensus #1.

I really hope the NHLPA agrees to push back the draft by a year.  Scouting 19 year olds could give us an advantage 

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1