The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Expansion draft, who are you keeping ?

Rate this topic

AriGold

Boeser, Petterson, Miller, Horvat, Lind, Motte

Schmidt, Juolevi

Demko

I use the draft picks we gather from selling off rentals this season to pick up players that might not be able to be protected in expansion for less than market rates.

We have a decent chance of finding a solid 3C and a top 4D in that process.

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 3

It’s not very visible but the players marked in green are the ones that can be used to meet the minimum exposure requirements.  Teams are obliged to leave exposed at least 2 Fs and 1 D who are somewhat regularly in the lineup - at least 27/54 games played and signed through 2021/22. 

On D they will have to leave either Schmidt or Myers exposed as the other Ds exposed don’t meet the requirement - either not enough games and/or not yet signed through 2021/22.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I keep:

Boeser, Miller, Petttersson, Horvat, Motte, Gaudette, Virtanen/MacEwen (if Mac plays enough games to require protecting)--I'm pretty sure Lind and Gadjovich don't have enough games to be eligible.

Schmidt, Juolevi (assuming he plays enough to require protecting), no one? Myers is the only other eligible non UFA defenseman, but I don't want to protect him. 

Demko

We are very immune to the expansion draft this time around.

The lists show all players who require protection.  Juolevi is exposed regardless of the number of games he plays.  

I keep:

Boeser, Miller, Petttersson, Horvat, Motte, Gaudette, Virtanen/MacEwen (if Mac plays enough games to require protecting)--I'm pretty sure Lind and Gadjovich don't have enough games to be eligible.

Schmidt, Juolevi (assuming he plays enough to require protecting), no one? Myers is the only other eligible non UFA defenseman, but I don't want to protect him. 

Demko

We are very immune to the expansion draft this time around.

Those players are eligible for selection as they have more than 2 pro seasons.

4 minutes ago, mll said:

The lists show all players who require protection.  Juolevi is exposed regardless of the number of games he plays.  

I must have misunderstood the list. I thought there was a minimum number of games for a player to be exposable. I assumed the GR meant "games remaining in order to be exposed". Maybe it's not very clear.

NHL.com says "All first- and second-year NHL players, and all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward protection limits." Doesn't Juolevi fall into this category as well as MacEwen?

I would think this would also include Lind and Gadjovich who haven't even played a single NHL game yet.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I must have misunderstood the list. I thought there was a minimum number of games for a player to be exposable. I assumed the GR meant "games remaining in order to be exposed". Maybe it's not very clear.

NHL.com says "All first- and second-year NHL players, and all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward protection limits." Doesn't Juolevi fall into this category as well as MacEwen?

AJ, here is the CapFriendly list of EXEMPT players. All others are eligible if not protected.

XEMPT AGE POS CAP HIT EXPIRY
Höglander, Nils 20 LW $891,667 RFA (2023)
Lockwood, William 22 RW $842,500 RFA (2022)
Focht, Carson 21 C $821,667 RFA (2023)
Michaelis, Marc 25 LW $700,000 RFA (2021)
Rathbone, Jack 21 LD $925,000 RFA (2022)
Hughes, Quinn 21 LD $916,667 RFA (2021)
Woo, Jett 20 RD $860,833 RFA (2023)
Eliot, Mitch 23 RD $822,500 RFA (2021)
Tryamkin, Nikita 26 LD $0 RFA (2017)
DiPietro, Michael 21 G $811,667 RFA (2022)
Silovs, Arturs 19 G $788,889 RFA (2023)
Kielly, Jake 24 G $700,000 RFA (2021)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

This is Olli and Zacks 3rd pro year.

6 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I think Joulevi could be ghetto protected by being held out of games. Same for Mac

Juolevi and MacEwen have 3 pro seasons.

Teenagers need to play 10 NHL games for a pro-season (only NHL games count), but as of 20 it’s 1 game in any top tier pro league (AHL, SHL, Liiga, etc) while signed to an NHL contract.

Hughes, Teves and Rafferty signed around the same time at the end of the 2018/19 season and got some games in.  Hughes is exempt because he played less than 10 games while the others with just a game reached a pro season. 

• Cheers 3

Just now, mll said:

Juolevi and MacEwen have 3 pro seasons.

Teenagers need to play 10 NHL games for a pro-season (only NHL games count), but as of 20 it’s 1 game in any top tier pro league (AHL, SHL, Liiga, etc) while signed to an NHL contract.

Hughes, Teves and Rafferty signed around the same time at the end of the 2018/19 season and got some games in.  Hughes is exempt because he played less than 10 games while the others with just a game reached a pro season. 

Hmm...so is the NHL's info misleading? It specifically says "first- and second year NHL Players" and not "pro players". I guess they just weren't clear, which is annoying. Regardless, thanks for clearing that up.

I've looked at this, often for a response to some trade proposals where it seemed like some posters were suggesting trading all of the current defense other than Hughes...

*Trades would (of course) change this list.*

For forwards, I agree with Boeser, Horvat, Miller, Motte and Pettersson. the remaining two spots would be from among Gaudette, MacEwen and Virtanen (deal with it, haterz).

If the Canucks hope to perhaps improve their chances of keeping Myers, then they would best be served in using as bait a "better" choice from among the remaining forwards, so I would assume Boeser, Gaudette, Horvat, MacEwen, Miller, Motte and Pettersson. (Virtanen as bait - once again, deal with it)

If the Canucks don't care about keeping Myers, or they are willing to gamble that Seattle will not select Myers, then I would keep Boeser, Horvat, MacEwen, Miller, Motte, Pettersson and Virtanen.

For defensemen, Schmidt, Juolevi and take yer pick from the remaining guys. Myers would be left exposed.

That Demko kid for goalie.

I believe there is always the possibility that the Canucks could make a trade for a d-man to expand their choices of who could be protected. They acquire some guy with a year left on his contract and meets the requirements for the draft, and then add Myers to the protected list with Schmidt and Juolevi. 

regards,  G.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Gollumpus said:

If the Canucks don't care about keeping Myers, or they are willing to gamble that Seattle will not select Myers, then I would keep Boeser, Horvat, MacEwen, Miller, Motte, Pettersson and Virtanen.

For defensemen, Schmidt, Juolevi and take yer pick from the remaining guys. Myers would be left exposed.

I believe there is always the possibility that the Canucks could make a trade for a d-man to expand their choices of who could be protected. They acquire some guy with a year left on his contract and meets the requirements for the draft, and then add Myers to the protected list with Schmidt and Juolevi. 

I think in the end Seattle ends up with Myers and it might be the best solution for us.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1