The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Expansion draft, who are you keeping ?

Rate this topic

AriGold

Friedman in his 31 Thoughts:  

9. Under expansion rules, Seattle must select at least $48.9 million under the salary cap. Other teams are thinking they will target the minimum — unless incentivized to do otherwise. That would allow for maximum weaponization of their space.

Ahead of the TDL LeBrun said GMs had already made contact with Seattle and prices are apparently very high to move contracts.

Edited by mll

I had to take a break from this team for about 5 games

I came back to watch my first full game in a while.

We are lucky that Rathbone, Hughes, Podz and Hogs are exempt.  Thats 2 future top 4 d-man and 2 top 6 wingers exempt

I was scare of losing guys like Motte, Gaudette, Virtanen, MacEwan etc but it looks like Motte is realistically the only threat

we're good on D too protecting Juloevi, Schmidt and Myers

Holty is the obvious choice to expose

At the end of the day, the expansion draft wont affect us much. Motte might hurt a bit but we're not going to get robbed a potential top 6 player or top 4 d-man so I am good with whatver happens

On 4/30/2021 at 4:53 PM, Amaneey said:

Petey
Horvat
Boeser
Miller
Pearson
Lind

Gadjovich

Schmidt
Juolevi
Meyers

Demko

I would hate to lose Motte. probably one of our best bang for our buck players. But agreed, if it means protecting Gadjo i'll bite the bullet. 

3 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

According to capfriendly Juolevi needs 6 more games to meet exposure requirement. What does that even mean? Why are these rules so f-ing confusing? Lol.

Every team has to leave exposed at least 2 Fs + 1 D who have played a certain amount of games - that’s what the exposure requirement refers to.  It’s not about exemption status.  

Every player with 3 or more pro-season is exposed unless protected.  Juolevi, Brisebois, Lind, Gadjovich are expansion eligible despite not having the game requirement.

By acquiring Bowey it gives them the option to protect both Myers and Schmidt otherwise 1 of them would have to be left exposed to meet that requirement.

32 minutes ago, mll said:

Every team has to leave exposed at least 2 Fs + 1 D who have played a certain amount of games - that’s what the exposure requirement refers to.  It’s not about exemption status.  

Every player with 3 or more pro-season is exposed unless protected.  Juolevi, Brisebois, Lind, Gadjovich are expansion eligible despite not having the game requirement.

By acquiring Bowey it gives them the option to protect both Myers and Schmidt otherwise 1 of them would have to be left exposed to meet that requirement.

Thank you. That makes sense.

On 5/11/2021 at 6:36 AM, CanucksJay said:

It would hurt to lose Motte. He does get injured often but its because he plays such a hard game and always goes full out.

I really do hope they take Holtby

Seattle might be too much into analytics to select Holtby.   The site Logiqbets previews every game using Sportlogiq’s tracking technology.  This is how they ranked Holtby ahead of the Jets game.

Rankings out of 69 qualified goalies:

3.34 (61)        Goals Against Avg.

-0.30 (50)      Goals Saved Above Exp.

.901 (53)        Save %

.814 (54)        Slot save %

.775 (41)        Inner slot save %

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, mll said:

Seattle might be too much into analytics to select Holtby.   The site Logiqbets previews every game using Sportlogiq’s tracking technology.  This is how they ranked Holtby ahead of the Jets game.

Rankings out of 69 qualified goalies:

3.34 (61)        Goals Against Avg.

-0.30 (50)      Goals Saved Above Exp.

.901 (53)        Save %

.814 (54)        Slot save %

.775 (41)        Inner slot save %

The first one isn't that important as that is more dependant on the team imho (and we're having a rough year for alot of legitimate reasons).  But yeah, even ignoring that one stat, the other ones ain't too flattering.

7 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

The first one isn't that important as that is more dependant on the team imho (and we're having a rough year for alot of legitimate reasons).  But yeah, even ignoring that one stat, the other ones ain't too flattering.

Sportlogiq has the Canucks last in expected goals against.  

Goals saved above expected account for environment.  Would expect Seattle to target goalies that perform above or at least on par with their environment.  

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, mll said:

Sportlogiq has the Canucks last in expected goals against.  

Goals saved above expected account for environment.  Would expect Seattle to target goalies that perform above or at least on par with their environment.  

Think the biggest deterrent in Seattle claiming him is his actual cash salary next season.  True, their owners have tons of money but still, businessmen are businessmen.  That's a heck of alot of money for a nothing special backup goalie.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

We will see what Gadjovich looks like.  He brings an element we don’t have if he is really a player.

It could be a toss up between him and Lind (it would be neither exposed if we hadn’t have signed Pearson for whatever reason).  If Gadjovich shows well then maybe Lind is more replaceable by cheap veterans who are always available in late July.

We might be a team that Seattle picks up an expiring contract from.  They don’t need 30 players, and might also want to be a player in free agency so might only want to be tied to 15 actual roster players from expansion itself.

I kind of expect them to take a bunch of D and goalies and then auction them off back to teams.

I wouldn’t be opposed to us picking up a D before expansion even if it means Exposing Myers.