The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Expansion draft, who are you keeping ?

Rate this topic

AriGold

6 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

No, what's "cracked" is how many people here are emotionally tied at the hip to the bad-average players on a bad team.

Im very glad you don't evaluate NHL talent for a living. Myers has been killing it this season. You just need a whipping boi

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

Yeah, I don't think Dumba is the RHD we target given what we need vs. his playstyle.

That Tanev guy would be a good fit. Doubt he's available though.

I'd be careful with that Tanev guy.

1) He would be a former Flame, so right there it's warning signs

2) the guy has a long injury history

3) signed for 3 years after this

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I think that's a little over the top.  Infinitely better would be AP.   As far as Gallant goes - no thanks.   If we are going to get an experienced coach - might as well go experienced ... hasn't TG got more NHL experience by now?  And a few rounds under his belt too?  Through the balance of play on a bunch of different lines, Schmidt had gotten better as the season goes, but Myers has been better overall.   He's also arguably has a better pedigree.   Definitely plays tougher.    Glad we have Schmidt - but will hold off on the judgement for at least another full season. 

BTW, even last year advanced stats showed that both Edler and QHs played their best hockey with - wait for it - Tyler Myers.   Not Tanev lol.    OJ and Myers looked good this year and is also a solid 5 x 5 line....I like Schmidt's speed - but this guy has also had some big boneheaded gaffes (Myers and Edler too)... We should be glad we finally have a top 4 all around D.   I agree with Burke.   A great signing by JB.  

That’s interesting about Myers (Re - advanced stats with QH and AE).   Wasn’t aware of that.

15 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I think that's a little over the top.  Infinitely better would be AP.   As far as Gallant goes - no thanks.   If we are going to get an experienced coach - might as well go experienced ... hasn't TG got more NHL experience by now?  And a few rounds under his belt too?  Through the balance of play on a bunch of different lines, Schmidt had gotten better as the season goes, but Myers has been better overall.   He's also arguably has a better pedigree.   Definitely plays tougher.    Glad we have Schmidt - but will hold off on the judgement for at least another full season. 

Um 9 years nhl head coaching experience 1 Jack Adam 1 Stanley cup final appearance winning record in all seasons except those Columbus sink hole years is not enough experience? Gallant have double the amount of experience green have plus more as an assistant coach in the NHL. I think thats more than enough experience on coaches available as he's probably one of the best available unless u want to go the Babcock road 

28 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Im very glad you don't evaluate NHL talent for a living. Myers has been killing it this season. You just need a whipping boi

He's not the only one in the organization that could use a whipping. :emot-parrot:

Seriously though: I got flack here for crapping on Sbisa, I got flack here for crapping on Gudbranson, and I get flack for crapping on any current player that isn't performing either due to their own ineptitude (or inefficiency related to cap) or the ineptitude of the person responsible for them being here.

C'est la vie. We'll keep on keepin' on.

e/ To be clear, not saying Myers is in the Sbisa/Gudbranson category, just that some people here have a real issue when you call a spade a spade.

Edited by kanucks25
  • RoughGame 1

It's weird with Myers. I've never thought he was on the same level of garbage as guys like Gudbranson, but he's severely miscast here.

Hughes put up his best shot metric numbers with Myers because that pairing was extremely sheltered, especially relative to someone like Tanev. However, Myers has been awful at preventing scoring chances and goals against, and it's hard to have two strict OFD on the roster, especially since most PP units only employ one defenceman nowadays.

The Fantenberg-Myers pairing was probably the biggest weakspot of the team in 19-20, and in any sort of defensive role against tougher competition Myers is surrendering a lot. He looked fine with Juolevi put that pairing had laughable QOC.

No, I don't think he "sucks" necessarily, but when you compare him to other defencemen around the league making 6mil (including two on our team in Edler/Schmidt), he's definitely one of the worst. He's maybe worth 3mil right now, and should be used as a 3rd pairing OFD and PP guy had we not had Hughes sucking up those minutes.

Can anyone who thinks Myers is doing really well this season explain why/how, even with the Schmidt-Edler pairing sucking up the toughest minutes, his defensive metrics are terrible? Also tell me how concerned you are that he has the highest PIM on the team.

Edited by Josepho

Ideally JB trades Gaudette + Virtanen for a young Dman prior to the ED. And then protects:

Pettersson, Miller, Boeser, Horvat, Motte, MacEwen, Beagle

Schmidt, Juolevi, new young Dman

Demko

Beagle and MacEwen's protection spots may be taken by young prospects if they show enough this season (e.g. Jasek, Lind, Gadj.)

This leaves Myers exposed. I am in two minds with Myers. He brings grit, but he is very expensive and not a great defender. I don't mind losing his $6m cap hit, but my concern is the hole he leaves if he is selected by Seattle. I think the UFA RHD market is going to be red hot this off season despite covid. So many teams will have lost a key player and will be looking to bolster their defense. Without Myers and without a new UFA, our D would rely on resigning Edler, Hamonic and Tryamkin:

Hughes Hamonic

Edler Schmidt

Juolevi Tryamkin

(Rathbone Chatfield)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

David Savard is a better Dman than Myers. He’s a UFA in the summer so if the Canucks lose Myers they can reinvest some of that $6 million into Savard, who can partner Hughes and play 20+ minutes a night. And then they can either bring back Hamonic or trade Virtanen or Gaudette for a decent 3rd pairing Dman. 

If Benning can somehow convince Loui to retire we can then go after Adam Lowry in free agency as our new 3C. Adding Lowry and Savard will greatly upgrade our roster at two key positions where we are weak. 

If Benning can acquire a good partner for Hughes and a legit tough as nails 3C this summer, this team automatically becomes a legit playoff team next year. 

EDIT:  Adam Larsson is another UFA Benning can target to play with Hughes. He’s 2 years younger than Savard and is Swedish. I’d be happy with either player. 

I'd love Savard too, but there will be a bidding war for top 4 Dmen (esp. RHD) after the Seattle draft as teams try to bolster their defense.

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Cal Foote is a good consolation prize. But he’s on a cap friendly deal so moving him wouldn’t really help Tampa with their cap issues. 

If Myers gets taken in the ED and we can somehow get rid of Loui then we can trade Gaudette to Tampa who is still on a cheap deal. In return they can give us Cernak plus a cap dump like Johnson. That would free up $8 million for Tampa who can then add Kucherov back onto the roster for next year. Right now he’s on LTIR which is allowing Tampa to be cap compliant. 

TBL will not be trading Cernak, and certainly not for a player such as Gaudette. They will likely trade Johnson with assets to someone with cap space, or buy him out to save $4m in cap hit. They will also incentivize Seattle to select one of their larger contracts (e.g. Palat, Gourde, McDonagh) in the expansion.

20 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

Unless the team could pick up another d-man who could be exposed, then Myers is (probably) the d-man on the outs.

Holtby has age (31) and term arguing against Seattle taking him, but one never knows. My guess would be Myers or Virtanen, and it depends on what other d-men Seattle have targeted, and what their cap situation would be like, in which case it could be Virtanen (unless they take Myers with an eye to trading him).

regards,  G.

Is it just me or does Myers remind you of an untalented, awkward Chara ?

Edited by Bure2Win

23 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

TBL will not be trading Cernak, and certainly not for a player such as Gaudette. They will likely trade Johnson with assets to someone with cap space, or buy him out to save $4m in cap hit. They will also incentivize Seattle to select one of their larger contracts (e.g. Palat, Gourde, McDonagh) in the expansion.

They will need to trade their entire draft class of 2021 in order to get rid of Johnson and one of Gourde/McDonagh.  Nobody will have the cap space to take on those contracts other than the bottom feeders like Ottawa and Detroit.  In terms of Seattle, they will want at least a first and maybe more to take on McDonagh or Gourde.  

Tampa might be better off just buying out Johnson and Palat and pushing their cap problem into 2022.  I guess if they win another Cup they won't really care.  They'd still be over the cap even with those 2 buyouts so they'd have to give away their first and third round picks to Seattle to get them to take either Gourde or McDonagh.

My list .......

Pettersson

Boeser

Horvat

Miller

Virtanen

Motte

Gaudette

Myers

Schmidt

Juolevi

Demko

Let's not forget the ED secondary stipulation regarding pending UFAs.   Seattle can approach and sign one pending UFA from any team 3 days before the draft and start of UFA season.  So let's say that, eg, Pearson has not been extended, then Seattle can approach him 3 days before the draft, and if he accepted their offer, he then becomes the. Vancouver player selected by Seattle.  I haven't found anything further to indicate whether or not Vancouver still has to provide a list that includes 2 forwards, one D and a goalie that meet the requirements, but would obviously be of no consequence as the Vancouver player (Pearson) had already been picked

Heres a good article on what Vegas did with UFAs ...

https://www.si.com/hockey/news/what-can-vegas-2017-expansion-draft-picks-tell-us-about-seattles-2021-plan

Edited by Googlie
  • Thanks 1

I I must admit, I’m not entirely sure which of our younger players are eligible, the rules are confusing. I really think Myers is the guy we lose. I like Myers, I’ll be sad to see him go. There are times when I think he is our clear cut #1 defenceman, there are times when he gives it away so cleanly that it literally is on the tape of the forechecker. It is amazing to watch how good he is one shift , then a train wreck to watch him the next.  He is a cross between Chara in his prime and Derek Pouliot at his worst. I think Seattle will look at his minutes, his points, his size and think they stole one from us.

1 minute ago, Toyotasfan said:

I I must admit, I’m not entirely sure which of our younger players are eligible, the rules are confusing. I really think Myers is the guy we lose. I like Myers, I’ll be sad to see him go. There are times when I think he is our clear cut #1 defenceman, there are times when he gives it away so cleanly that it literally is on the tape of the forechecker. It is amazing to watch how good he is one shift , then a train wreck to watch him the next.  He is a cross between Chara in his prime and Derek Pouliot at his worst. I think Seattle will look at his minutes, his points, his size and think they stole one from us.

I think they'll take Holtby or Lind.

It might be interesting to strike a side deal with the Kraken similar to what Anaheim did, trading Theodore and Vegas selecting Clayton Stoner, who never played a game for them.   We have a glut of LHDs, so maybe trade Juolevi or a Rathbone to them only if they take, say, Eriksson as their selection.  With his low last year salary he would be a good candidate for them to buy out

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They will need to trade their entire draft class of 2021 in order to get rid of Johnson and one of Gourde/McDonagh.  Nobody will have the cap space to take on those contracts other than the bottom feeders like Ottawa and Detroit.  In terms of Seattle, they will want at least a first and maybe more to take on McDonagh or Gourde.  

Tampa might be better off just buying out Johnson and Palat and pushing their cap problem into 2022.  I guess if they win another Cup they won't really care.  They'd still be over the cap even with those 2 buyouts so they'd have to give away their first and third round picks to Seattle to get them to take either Gourde or McDonagh.

So if you are Seattle and TBL protect the following players, who would you select?

Stamkos, Point, Cirelli, Kucherov, Hedman, Cernak, Sergachev, Foote, Vasilivskiy