The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Ottawa Senators | March 15, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

3 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

More time to spend with Ian Clark and get back into form.

He's a veteran 30+ year old goalie.  Only so much you can teach him now (minor tweeks & such).  Can't reverse the effects of father time. 

Now, where Clark *can* work on is Demko (as the kid is only going to get better).  Imagine Demko playing at a level *even higher* than he is now!

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

He's a veteran 30+ year old goalie.  Only so much you can teach him now (minor tweeks & such).  Can't reverse the effects of father time. 

Now, where Clark *can* work on is Demko (as the kid is only going to get better).  Imagine Demko playing at a level *even higher* than he is now!

I expect that Demko will get better. I expect that he will sign a middling contract to get paid on the next one. Maybe a few years.

Holtby, needs a few tweeks and a team that comes to play in front of him. IMO. I think our team has rolled over and died. There were a few games where it took the Canucks a period to recover from being scored on first. Coach's fault. 

2 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

Holtby, needs a few tweeks and a team that comes to play in front of him. IMO. I think our team has rolled over and died. There were a few games where it took the Canucks a period to recover from being scored on first. Coach's fault. 

He is as good as (bad in this case) in his last season or so with the Caps.  It's a trend imho.  I hope I'm wrong.  He'll have to be substantially better for Seattle to even think of selecting him in the expansion draft.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

He is as good as (bad in this case) in his last season or so with the Caps.  It's a trend imho.  I hope I'm wrong.  He'll have to be substantially better for Seattle to even think of selecting him in the expansion draft.

It is what it is. There are endless possibilities for the expansion draft and I am sure we will not hit what happens. I am not going to worry about it.

I think about the players we have now and the way they play now.

Just now, FaninMex said:

It is what it is. There are endless possibilities for the expansion draft and I am sure we will not hit what happens. I am not going to worry about it.

I think about the players we have now and the way they play now.

Green will ride Demko like a rented mule (as would I).:lol:

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

I still think we have a chance. Montreal, Calgary and Oilers are all showing cracks as we are showing some promise and getting hot. I think we will squeak in.

I appreciate your optimism, and I'm hopeful as well - though none too confident. I wouldn't say Green stifles the team, though I can't help but believe our coaching overall my be the reason we can't seem to assemble an adequate defensive game, and must rely on lights-out goaltending. Until we fix that, it will be hard to ice a consistently successful team.

If you look at our team on paper, it should be able to be competitive. It should at least be good enough for an Ottawa game not to be a nail biter. Changes must be made.

• Upvote 1

Green will ride Demko like a rented mule (as would I).:lol:

agreed he will. It just has to be smartly done.

If I remember right, we have 1 more against Ott then two against Mon. I would have Demko sit against Ott and play both in Mon. I would then yell and scream at the team to get the win for Holtby and the season.

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Chicken. said:

Great game by Jake tonight

Demko continuing his Mvp season.

Great stuff to finish off a Monday

Really, i watched the entire game? Missed that GREAT game.

I saw him skate around OTT net once, and loose the puck.

I did also see a couple of strong back checking shifts so thats a positive 

• Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

Just saw this on Sportsnet. Oilers are going to be hurting if they are out for much time.

Look at Khaira's eyes when he is on the ice. He looks done.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/oilers-jujhar-khaira-tyson-barrie-suffer-injuries-vs-flames/

5 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I appreciate your optimism, and I'm hopeful as well - though none too confident. I wouldn't say Green stifles the team, though I can't help but believe our coaching overall my be the reason we can't seem to assemble an adequate defensive game, and must rely on lights-out goaltending. Until we fix that, it will be hard to ice a consistently successful team.

If you look at our team on paper, it should be able to be competitive. It should at least be good enough for an Ottawa game not to be a nail biter. Changes must be made.

Oilers are going to slide.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Filthy McNasty said:

I do not want to see gaudette, rousell, beagle or virtanen next year they all have like 8 goals combined?  

Petey Miller podz

HOGZ Bo Boeser 

Pearson _____  Motte

______ Sutter  MaC

Virtanen has clearly turned a corner and has been impressive to say the least in the last 7 games. No coincidence it happened as soon as he was iced with actual NHL players that have a brain in the offensive zone. No chance in hell we don't explore his potential on Bo's wing further. Gaudette is what, 22? Yikes man give it some time. Both scored 18 goals in 65 games last year. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Absolutely disgusting game by the Canucks, they should really feel ashamed for that performance. I know Ottawa just beat Toronto and are on a bit of a high, but the Sens hit the post about 4 times and deserved 6 goals against any other average NHL goalie. We were coughing up pucks right in the slot, not defending slot shots, getting beaten wide all night long and it wasn't just one or two guys, it was our whole lineup. One of the sloppiest games of the season, back to the bad defending habits we had at the start of the season and we got lucky to walk away with 2 points here.

Top line were brilliant, Miller is much better as a natural center and when Petey comes back he should slot in on the wing. Boeser didn't do much but Hoglander and Miller were buzzing at times. 

Pearson and Horvat were working hard again tonight, nice smart goal by Pearson (sounded like he called for the puck) which is well over-due but Virtanen just doesn't fit there. I've said it before and I'll say it again - give the chance to Gaudette. Gaudette had 2 A-grade scoring chances playing with plugs for linemates and is snakebitten at the moment, but at least he's generating those chances. The only thing that stuck out for me for Virtanen was where he tried to dangle a guy at the offensive blueline, gives it up and it leads to an odd-man rush the other way against Benn and a good scoring opportunity against. This characterized our first 10-20 games stupid defensive awareness and it looks like it's still there. Miller did this a lot in his first few games and he's knocked it out of his system but we can't get back to these high-risk low-reward plays at our offensive blueline. Swap Virtanen and Gaudette, simple.

3rd line was brilliant tonight, Sutter and Hawryluk are some hard working players and they combined for a gritty goal, so it's nice to see them get rewarded. 4th line were invisible/average. 

On defence we were absolutely garbage from top to bottom. I rarely pick out Edler because he's usually so solid but he looked slow tonight against a fast young team, giving pucks away and caught flat footed a lot of the time. Schmidt and Myers had the best games on defence but as a collective unit we were just terrible, too many bad clearances, brutal giveaways and zone marking where a man just slipped through 2-3 guys to get a good shot on net. Most frustrating is that just about all of our players were getting beaten when taken wide with speed, I think it happened about 3 times, and that lead to a Sens player right in on net. As a defence that just can't happen. I get players take Hughes on a lot because he's small and can't fight them off, but these are the rest of our D and they're just getting beaten too easily.

As for Demko, nothing to be said - without him, this is a 6-2 game easily. Holtby probably makes it 8-2. The Sens had 40+ shots and IMO 10 A-grade scoring opportunities, lots of posts but a lot of massive chances that Demko had no right saving but his positioning was perfect. The thing with Demko is he's great at recovering, rarely gives up rebounds, pucks stick to him but whenever he does he usually moves right back into position and swallows the 2nd chance. The two goals were quick passes and shots, unlucky to not be able to save them, we really should have cleared the 1st goal after it hit the post but our defence were caught flat footed and puck-watching all night long so no surprise. 

On the whole, rubbish game by the whole team but individual performances (Miller and Demko mainly) drag us across the line in a lucky game. We need points desperately and can't afford to lose the next Ottawa game so have to come out much stronger and not just assume that it's a guaranteed 2 points.

Hey... how many games did we lose that we deserved to win??? Half a dozen at least. We had quite a long stretch of playing great hockey but just not getting the results. It goes both ways, sometimes you play like crap and your goalie bails you out, other times you chase a goalie out of the net but yours cant stop the very few shots he faces. One day those two sides are going to come together and its going to make for a great run. Scoring at will and backed up by a brickwall.

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, HockeyHarry said:

Demm ko new white mask he was wearing last night is awesome imo. Kinda reminds me of a Luongo mask.

Go Canucks Go

need 2 more points from Sens tonight 

88D1C3B7-E726-4199-8469-9A339A0FB6FA.gif

01B4C418-445A-4F40-9B6D-55A8E7B3E4AA.gif

We don't play until tomorrow night....just to save you from waiting all day!

• Sad 1

I thought Canucks play backs to back games today, my bad.

Today...I’m doing laps around the yard with my mower. Time to beat is 38.5 mins 

this is 1 revved up Canucks fan with things and places to mow....so...

Mow Canuck fan Mow

Edited by HockeyHarry
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1