The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The magic number thread

Rate this topic

Dumb Nuck

We are pretty much done.  Montreal isn't going to lose 10 straight games.  You can't make up 10+ points in less than 20 games.  It was fun this year for awhile.  We got to see Demko turn into a legit #1 goalie.  So our future in net is secure.  Petey needs to come back strong next year and Hughes needs to practice on his dzone play.  Most importantly we need to get the kids in the lineup and let them play.  I think next year is the year the ship turns around.  

• Cheers 3

11 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We are pretty much done.  Montreal isn't going to lose 10 straight games.  You can't make up 10+ points in less than 20 games.  It was fun this year for awhile.  We got to see Demko turn into a legit #1 goalie.  So our future in net is secure.  Petey needs to come back strong next year and Hughes needs to practice on his dzone play.  Most importantly we need to get the kids in the lineup and let them play.  I think next year is the year the ship turns around.  

I’ve seen a lot of positives this year and I still maintain we need someone else to steer the ship, if it happens in the off season I will be super pumped for next year, if not, sadly I think we’ll be throwing away another season.

• Upvote 1

On 3/30/2021 at 9:44 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

That’s 1.

On 3/30/2021 at 9:44 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

Probably the year after next year when the rest of the cap that is wasted comes off and Luongo penalty is done. Plus Hoglander and Podkolzin get a year of NHL under their belt and Jack Rathbone makes the team with Juolevi becoming a full time player.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/30/2021 at 11:56 PM, Dumb Nuck said:

I’ll try updating every night untill we’re officially in or out. 
For each team I have listed how many combined wins or Canucks losses they need to finish ahead of us in points.

.5 = loser point.

Ottawa: 20

Calgary: 16.5

Montreal: 13

Edmonton: 10

Winnipeg: 8.5

Toronto: 7

Combined games remaining:

Ottawa: 30

Calgary: 31

Montreal: 33

Edmonton: 32

Winnipeg: 30

Toronto: 31

As of end of April 17th

I prefer looking at it like this:

If VAN wins all remaining games in regulation then the maximum available points in the division are:

TO: 76

WPG: 75

MTL: 75

VAN: 73

EDM: 70
CGY: 57

OTT: 48

The Canucks are still in charge of their own destiny.

I think the Canucks should ice a team that rotates prospects thru the line up for the balance of the season. Pick 3 forwards and 2 d-men and rotate them. Every fourth game 5 players sit out a game. With the current sched that means each player plays 3 games a week. 

• Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I think the Canucks should ice a team that rotates prospects thru the line up for the balance of the season. Pick 3 forwards and 2 d-men and rotate them. Every fourth game 5 players sit out a game. With the current sched that means each player plays 3 games a week. 

Would like to see a couple guys get a bit longer look.  Time to see what some of these guys have at the NHL level and 3-4 games is not a statistically significant number of games 

• Upvote 1