The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NY Rangers - Vancouver (Proposal)

On the heels of Schmidt for a 3rd deal, between the Canucks and Vegas

The NY Rangers are going to be experiencing a cap crunch next year, with Igor Shesterkin, Ryan Lindgren, Libor Hajek, Pavel Buchnevich, Filip Chytil, Julien Gauthier, Brett Howden, and Vitali Kravtsov, all coming off of ELC's and all needing new contracts.

So, my proposal comes with those 2 things in mind. 

Anthony Deangelo (50% retained) and a 2022-2nd  for a Vancouver 2023-3rd. 

Now, he has a history of being a problem child, but he now has an agent, who if he is doing his job, is telling his client, he has/is playing his way out of an NHL career, and if the Rangers choose, will be bought out, and he will end up playing for rubles within a year, so it is his choice, but I am betting Deangleo does not like borscht. My bet is he comes around very fast.

This saves the Rangers $1,000,000 over having him sit at home this year, and next, while allowing the Canucks to see what his attitude is like, this year, before the summer by-out.

As for why the Canucks do this. The Canucks add a very talented RHD who in the past has scored .75 rate per game rate, in his last full-Covid shortened season. (53 points in 68 games). This is nothing to sneeze at, and is very hard to find. Now the price is set by the fact that Deangelo passed through waivers without being picked up. (Another clear message to Deangelo). So, the offer is meant to have a small incentive, but not a large one.

Note........the buyout for Deangelo is 383,000 for the 1st year, and 883,333 for the 2nd year, so even if it is a short stay, the pain is half that amount, as again, NY Rangers are on the hook for the other half.

But, the risk, would be short lived, where as the gain, if it happened would be a positive. The addition of Deangelo, adds to the Canucks, "IF" he stays.

IMO, it is a good move.

Now, before you flame away, consider that he has never been kicked off a team, and the Ranger did not void his contract for poor conduct, it was a personality conflict. All other gossip, is just that, or noise made by a younger, less wise Deangelo. People are allowed to grow up, and people are allowed to make mistakes. 

Let yea without sin, cast the first Stone. You ask Joe, if he has ever made any mistakes, or better yet Deb! LOL ( might as well ask the angels here on CDC)

OH........permission to flame away!

1 year left for DeAngelo at 50% I feel like I’d do it. He’s got to feel like he’s on his last chance and smarten up. If not it’s not that big of a commitment from us at 2.25 mill for 1 season and he could be a 50-60 point dman. If he’s bad just send him down like NYR did this year. We’ve spent money in worse ways.

Edited by flickyoursedin
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

1 year left for DeAngelo at 50% I feel like I’d do it. He’s got to feel like he’s on his last chance and smarten up. If not it’s not that big of a commitment from us at 2.25 mill for 1 season and he could be a 50-60 point dman. If he’s bad just send him down like NYR did this year. We’ve spent money in worse ways.

There’s no benefit for NYR to do that when his buyout cap hit is only 380K + they don’t even save any money.  50% retained is about 900K more than what they owe him in a buyout.  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, mll said:

Rangers made it known per beat reporters that they are not giving up assets to move him and won’t take on a bad contract. By the sound of it they will simply buy him out.

seems like they wouldn't want to throw good money after bad and pay more in assets to get rid of him, when the buy out is so favourable. 

@janisahockeynut I don't know that Benning wants to bring this guy in, given all the emphasis on character in the room. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, mll said:

There’s no benefit for NYR to do that when his buyout cap hit is only 380K + they don’t even save any money.  50% retained is about 900K more than what they owe him in a buyout.  

Not quite true

NYR are spending 3.7 million this year plus 388,333 + 883,333 for the buyout, so this year plus the buyout is equal to $ 4,800,000 in cap and real dollars

in actual dollars it is 5,800,000 for this year and the buyout

For the remaining part of this year and the buyout , it is approx. $3,100,000 based on 40% of the year left.

8 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Not quite true

NYR are spending 3.7 million this year plus 388,333 + 883,333 for the buyout, so this year plus the buyout is equal to $ 4,800,000 in cap and real dollars

in actual dollars it is 5,800,000 for this year and the buyout

For the remaining part of this year and the buyout , it is approx. $3,100,000 based on 40% of the year left.

They can’t get back the money they’ve already paid.  At the TDL, 80% of the season is gone.  They can only look at how much they still have to spend on him.  A buyout is still more advantageous.

The Canucks also don’t have the cap room to make the deal this season unless they clear cap.

Edited by mll

12 minutes ago, mll said:

They can’t get back the money they’ve already paid.  At the TDL, 80% of the season is gone.  They can only look at how much they still have to spend on him.  A buyout is still more advantageous.

The Canucks also don’t have the cap room to make the deal this season unless they clear cap.

Read the last line please... that is the actual amount as of today , and no 80% is not gone

I don't disagree with your reasoning.........but you are shooting from the hip today

Not you're normal standards

14 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Read the last line please... that is the actual amount as of today , and no 80% is not gone

I don't disagree with your reasoning.........but you are shooting from the hip today

Not you're normal standards

The TDL which is 12 April is roughly 80% into the season.  Today is day 78 of a 116 day season.  They are well past the 60% mark.

I was comparing in the off-season as the Canucks don’t have cap space for now.  The buyout window is also not open - it’s about a 2 week window before free agency.

His salary next year is 5.3M so 50% retained would be 2.65M in actual payment by NYR.  

His buyout cost is 1/3rd of 5.3M so 1.77M.  

The difference between 2.65M and 1.77M rounds out to about 900K more expensive than a buyout for NYR.  

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, mll said:

The TDL which is 12 April is roughly 80% into the season.  Today is day 78 of a 116 day season.  They are well past the 60% mark.

I was comparing in the off-season as the Canucks don’t have cap space for now.  The buyout window is also not open - it’s about a 2 week window before free agency.

His salary next year is 5.3M so 50% retained would be 2.65M in actual payment by NYR.  

His buyout cost is 1/3rd of 5.3M so 1.77M.  

The difference between 2.65M and 1.77M rounds out to about 900K more expensive than a buyout for NYR.  

NY Rangers 35 games played of 56 = 62.5 %

That is all I am saying

Not the 80% you said...............like I say, I thought your numbers were shooting from the hip

and not up to your normal standards

You have set a high standard for me, and I come to you for facts..................

Don't get too riled, as I am just poking you, but your numbers are not exactly accurate.

and I also used Cap friendly for the buy out figures, which are exactly............383,333 and 883,333 for next year and the year after

Hey, I use real numbers when talking to you.............because you always call me, lol

Your turn! LOL

10 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

NY Rangers 35 games played of 56 = 62.5 %

That is all I am saying

Not the 80% you said...............like I say, I thought your numbers were shooting from the hip

and not up to your normal standards

You have set a high standard for me, and I come to you for facts..................

Don't get too riled, as I am just poking you, but your numbers are not exactly accurate.

and I also used Cap friendly for the buy out figures, which are exactly............383,333 and 883,333 for next year and the year after

Hey, I use real numbers when talking to you.............because you always call me, lol

Your turn! LOL

The season is divided in days and not by games.  Players get the same daily pro-rata whether they are playing or not.  This season is spread over 116 days while normally it’s played over 186 days.  

You can actually see it on the daily cap tracker on CapFriendly.  They list every player and the number of days they’ve been on the roster.

Canucks so far this season: https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks/cap-tracker

The buyout figures against the cap are not equal to the buyout cost.  The buyout cost is listed on the top line.  Given his age and no bonus, it’s a 1/3rd of his remaining salary.

Edited by mll

27 minutes ago, mll said:

The season is divided in days and not by games.  Players get the same daily pro-rata whether they are playing or not.  This season is spread over 116 days while normally it’s played over 186 days.  

You can actually see it on the daily cap tracker on CapFriendly.  They list every player and the number of days they’ve been on the roster.

Canucks so far this season: https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks/cap-tracker

The buyout figures against the cap are not equal to the buyout cost.  The buyout cost is listed on the top line.  Given his age and no bonus, it’s a 1/3rd of his remaining salary.

Now, that is a much better response! And more in lines of what I have expected from you! LOL Thanks, I did not know that! I will check into it!

Good job! :bigblush: Sorry for being so argumentative. I am even more sorry to be wrong! :picard:

15 hours ago, KirkSave said:

Still not worth it. IMO

I disagree, only from the standpoint that it would be much cheaper to buy him out from a cap standpoint than LE. However, the underlying concept is moot as it would cost the Rangers much more against the cap to bring LE in, and all teams are trying to minimize their dead cap space.

6 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

I disagree, only from the standpoint that it would be much cheaper to buy him out from a cap standpoint than LE. However, the underlying concept is moot as it would cost the Rangers much more against the cap to bring LE in, and all teams are trying to minimize their dead cap space.

It's not the hockey player that isn't worth it but rather the person he is and how he treats others, in particular his own teammates. Best just to stay clear of young men with such selfish entitled antics.

32 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

It's not the hockey player that isn't worth it but rather the person he is and how he treats others, in particular his own teammates. Best just to stay clear of young men with such selfish entitled antics.

Yes, I get that completely. I wouldn't want him to stick around.

My only point would be that if we could flip LE to another team and take back a player that we could immediately buy out at a cheaper cap hit than what LE would cost us, then its worth doing it. Buying out LE this summer, will cost us 4 million next season against the cap and 1 million the year after. If we could flip LE for another player, no matter how much we hate him, and immediately buy him out under terms that would, just for an example, cost us 2 million next season and 1.5 million the following 2 seasons, that might be a pretty good deal for us to consider in terms of cap space management.

In terms of Hard Dollars, LE is pretty cheap to buy out after this season, there's not much actual cash left on his contract, but the cap hit will still hurt for one more year.

• Cheers 1