The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Tanner Pearson

5 hours ago, Provost said:

I am really starting to enjoy listening to Jannik Hansen's radio hits, one of the best guys 650 has.  He talks like a guy ready to take on a coaching/management role in the game.  Really balanced and not too player centric... good grasp on the economics of the game.  He would be an interesting player development guy, especially focussed on our European prospects.  He played in the KHL, Finland, Sweden, and Denmark as well as in the WHL, AHL, and NHL so he would really have a good grasp on what it takes to transition.

His take on the Pearson signing is pretty spot on.  They are paying hoping he gets back to the 20 goal, 40 point level... if he doesn't it will be a contract they regret in a year or two.  He was also spot on about Benning using the "good in the room" reasoning as just trying to sell the deal to the fans.  He basically said, players come and go and other guys step up, so you need to pay guys for what they bring on the ice instead of how good they are in the room.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/peoples-show/jannik-hansen-canucks-banking-pearson-bouncing-back/

Yup, read something the other day which landed.  Benning pays guys based on past performance and the fact that they are good in the room - almost like rewarding them for being professionals and having had decent past seasons.  It's ass backwards, you should be paying players based on expected future performance and not as some sort of Christmas bonus.  This is why pretty much all of our late 20's UFA signings have been so atrocious (Eriksson, Roussel, Gagner, Sutter, Ferland, etc) and why it's very easy to predict this will age poorly as well.  

• Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Chiarelli was actually the GM of that team, not the AGM. He did great in Edmonton, right? 

Point is, maybe these guys might know a bit more than us arm chair quarterbacks. Chiarelli was decent in Ottawa and Boston but he failed in Edmonton.

He too, has one more Ring on his finger than I do. Chiarelli played hockey at Harvard and graduated from University of Ottawa law school. He the became a player agent before joining the Senators. I don’t think that makes him a failure  in life, but I guess you don’t see it that way.

He’d be a interesting guy to have a beer with and talk hockey.

There’s more that goes on than meets the eye.  It’s fun coming here to hear what others think.  I have no illusions that, from our distant vantage point, we will have all the answers. 

Fwiw, I think that Benning overpaid Pearson, but in the big scheme of things, I don’t think that it’s going to make our break the team’s future. 

6 minutes ago, highwayman3 said:

And for those foolish and naive to take Benning at face value when he says that this player would've gotten this contract in free agency from another team, all I can do is shake my head and laugh.

So a middle six forward in his prime was going to sign for less than 2-2.5?

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, highwayman3 said:

And for those foolish and naive to take Benning at face value when he says that this player would've gotten this contract in free agency from another team, all I can do is shake my head and laugh.

Some of us already had his value pegged somewhere around $2.5-$3.5 months before the signing happened.

You know, for those of you foolish enough to believe freaking Taj on Twitter :picard:

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Some of us already had his value pegged somewhere around $2.5-$3.5 months before the signing happened.

You know, for those of you foolish enough to believe freaking Taj on Twitter :picard:

He quoted Dhaliwal, who obviously has contacts in the game (at least when it comes to Canucks stuff).

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Taj might be the most irrelevant twitter user heavily quoted on here, right up there with Drance. 

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, highwayman3 said:

Just doesn't make any sense.

We keep getting told how hard it is to move money in the COVID/flat cap era and now lots of teams would have money to throw at a middling forward coming off a bad year?

Puh-lease.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Lol.  This is one of your most amusing posts yet.  He's quoting Dhaliwal who knows a hell of lot more than any of random posters on this site.  

1 minute ago, kanucks25 said:

He quoted Dhaliwal, who obviously has contacts in the game (at least when it comes to Canucks stuff).

Yes, the same Dhaliwal who was all but guaranteeing Edler was walking a couple years ago. 

He built his reputation in reporting facts and has since gone quite downhill with his hyperbole, hearsay and conjecture.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

So a middle six forward in his prime was going to sign for less than 2-2.5?

In this flat cap market where middle of the pack players are taking massive discounts? Um yes? 

And again, I think if he had signed for 2.5 x 2 years most of us would've just shrugged our shoulders and said um whatever.  When we need to re-sign our two most important players, and are already facing a cap crunch, every bit helps.  Plus an NTC.  Just awful.  

Just now, aGENT said:

Yes, the same Dhaliwal who was all but guaranteeing Edler was walking a couple years ago. 

He built his reputation in reporting facts and has since gone quite downhill with his hyperbole, hearsay and conjecture.

He's not going to get everything right, a lot of the top national insiders miss, too.

You're only dismissing it because it goes against your argument.

• Haha 1

Just now, kanucks25 said:

He's not going to get everything right, a lot of the top national insiders miss, too.

More mental gymnastics by that poster - who I strongly suspect is getting paid to post here.  

1 minute ago, highwayman3 said:

Lol.  This is one of your most amusing posts yet.  He's quoting Dhaliwal who knows a hell of lot more than any of random posters on this site.  

Just now, aGENT said:

See see above.

And again, my point was I already pegged his value in that range. I didn't 'foolishly' or 'naively' let Benning tell me.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, kanucks25 said:

Lol... But I thought he was an insider that knows all the things better than we do?

Your only supporting it because it goes with yours... Fun.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, highwayman3 said:

More mental gymnastics by that poster - who I strongly suspect is getting paid to post here.  

I'm the one doing mental gymnastics? :lol: 

A reporter, who's livelihood relies on drama to stir up listeners and retweets/followers, with a history of 'reporting' hyperbole, hearsay and conjecture tells you something that goes against easily researched comparable player values (which some of us already accurately had pegged, hi Foligno) and you guys blindly follow it and then back pedal with 'well he can't get 100%...'

No $&!# he can't and he most certainly doesn't... kind of my point. Including this time, and numerous other ones.

And I bloody wish I got paid. Feel free to send Jim a reference. What a bloody weak-ass retort.

Edited by aGENT