The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Tanner Pearson

4 minutes ago, HOFsedins said:

TBH I wouldn't say those 2 contracts are overpayments... 

I think it's a little unfair to say he is a liar or delusional when the media and fans don't have any internal sources or any of the inside groundwork that may be going on. All we can see are the numbers and contracts that are available to us and make a assumption based on that. 

Since you responded to me while I was writing that, it would be rude not to answer. I will keep it short.

Dollars, term, ntc, and expansion protection for an 11 point forward. 4 plus million for a backup who has been a seive. I disagree.

Its not unfair. He is one or the other. Nothing in his bungling of the cap situation in previous years should inspire any confidence he has any cards up his sleeve here.

6 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Since you responded to me while I was writing that, it would be rude not to answer. I will keep it short.

Dollars, term, ntc, and expansion protection for an 11 point forward. 4 plus million for a backup who has been a seive. I disagree.

Its not unfair. He is one or the other. Nothing in his bungling of the cap situation in previous years should inspire any confidence he has any cards up his sleeve here.

A lot of players are having down years. So to label Pearson a 11 point player with the contract he just signed just doesn't make sense. I get it, you don't like the contract. As for Holtby, I noticed you labelled him as a 4 plus million backup after the fact. How did you honestly feel when we signed him last summer? 

Look I get your frustration, there are alota people who don't like the Pearson signing but i'm just saying the signing  isn't as bad as it seems. As for the latter, I think most of us all thought that was a decent signing.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

8 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

If they have to lose Gaudette or Lind as a result of having to protect Pearson then it could be a big deal. Its also fair to ask why he couldnt have simply waited to sign this deal until after the expansion draft. Why the urgency to do it now?

I guess I want a GM who will take every advantage of the system within the rules. Benning constantly shoots the team in the foot though. Its unlikely Seattle was going to take Pearson as a UFA. Maybe but really if they did who cares? It would mean the Canucks can keep both Gaudette and Lind who probably could both be signed for less combined than Pearson is getting paid.

Its frustrating to me that the Canucks and Benning fans keep expecting young stars to sign at discounts or bridge deals while overpaying for depth guys. I worry about the message that sends.

It's how the system works, no matter how Dubas tried to change it with his second contracts.    Players who make it to their UFA deals are good enough to warrant a nice deal.   Pearson's deal is a fair, flat cap, UFA deal.    Middle six guy who can hold the fort in the top six when needed, still in his prime years albeit the latter ones.    As far as should we have signed him that's another debate, and yes for sure some validity to it but it's far from the end of the world.    AG might not work out (50/50 at best), and Lind hasn't had a proper try out yet.    Not sure Pearson will get protected either so that's a worry for another day.    

As far as EP and QHs goes,  22-26 cap is enough cap space to sign them both long term or to bridge deals.    Possibly a buyout and a trade might be required...i don't know.   Am willing to wait and see without overly criticizing the deal as we don't have all the data. 

• Cheers 3

39 minutes ago, IBatch said:

It's how the system works, no matter how Dubas tried to change it with his second contracts.    Players who make it to their UFA deals are good enough to warrant a nice deal.   Pearson's deal is a fair, flat cap, UFA deal.    Middle six guy who can hold the fort in the top six when needed, still in his prime years albeit the latter ones.    As far as should we have signed him that's another debate, and yes for sure some validity to it but it's far from the end of the world.    AG might not work out (50/50 at best), and Lind hasn't had a proper try out yet.    Not sure Pearson will get protected either so that's a worry for another day.    

As far as EP and QHs goes,  22-26 cap is enough cap space to sign them both long term or to bridge deals.    Possibly a buyout and a trade might be required...i don't know.   Am willing to wait and see without overly criticizing the deal as we don't have all the data. 

Take your rational thinking to some other discussion board

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Yes nothing.  Hamonic.   Schmidt.  Myers (sorry complainers this is a fair to team friendly deal, he's done everything and more then expected of a blue chip all around RHD and has the stats to back it up), Miller, Horvat, BB, Demko, Benn...He's got one big whiff in LE.   JV isn't done yet, too early to know for sure but maybe him, and Bear simply because he's not playing (at the time nobody was complaining about this deal).    Our cap issues are temporary.   Sure he could blow it all on one guy like he did with LE so get the trepidation, but his payments are grossly exaggerated compared to the other teams middle and bottom six players.     Compare apples to apples.   Guys on ELCs and vets last year or two before retiring going for the cup don't count.    Could be a lot worse, isn't Pearson outperforming first line Jamie Benn lol.    Good grief.    Anyone who's lamenting this much doesn't look at other teams lineups much, and focuses only on our team.    

• Vintage 3

58 minutes ago, coryberg said:

As another poster pointed out earlier the average salary in the NHL is 3 million. It's insane to think that people are losing their minds over a perennial 40 point player getting 250k more than the league average.

Also hilarious to hear crying about the NTC. It's a one year full NTC, nobody trades a player they just signed anyways. Some people just have to cling to anything they can to justify their opinions.

And some people hate on the team constantly no matter what happens.   There are four posters that come to mind.    Pearson is a 28 year old UFA.   Who won a cup and averages close to .5 PGP... LW too, something our team lacks ...   good for 15-20 goals in a full season, and doesn't hurt you on the other side of the puck, and a cup winner/champion.  Personally i didn't want to re-sign him, but it's silly to deny he hasn't earned a covid flat cap deal like this one.    He's the loser here really, in normal times the cap would be 86-90 million after this season, 5% increase is on the low side too.    

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I think fans are just upset with the status quo.  Canucks are neither sellers or buyers this trade deadline.  Stuck in mediocrity. 

This season appears to be a write off (yeah we still have a slim chance of making the playoffs).  We will see what happens in the expansion draft and the offseason.

Needless to say a few bad contracts/players are hampering Canucks from being a contender. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, BPA said:

I think fans are just upset with the status quo.  Canucks are neither sellers or buyers this trade deadline.  Stuck in mediocrity. 

Any push out of 'mediocrity' was always going to come, largely from within.

Needless to say a few bad contracts/players are hampering Canucks from being a contender. 

They really aren't. Pettersson and Hughes need to actually get in to their actual primes for us to be considered contenders. Never mind guys like Hoglander, Podkolzin, Juolevi, Rathbone, Lind, Woo etc, etc (most of whom still need to arrive at the NHL level, never mind get some miles on them at this level). We're simply not there yet, and no, 'bad contracts' aren't what's stopping us from getting there.

Honestly, the only youth (not guys like Miller, Schmidt etc) that's ready to contend on this team team is Horvat and Boeser (and Boeser only JUST this year). The rest of our youth need to catch up on the miles/years/experience/strength/training that Boeser JUST got to this year for us to become 'contenders'.

You then complement/support that and fill holes via UFA and trade. Having another $5m or whatever of cap space this summer was never going to miraculously turn a bunch of young kids, not remotely in their primes, in to a contender.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Yes nothing.  Hamonic.   Schmidt.  Myers (sorry complainers this is a fair to team friendly deal, he's done everything and more then expected of a blue chip all around RHD and has the stats to back it up), Miller, Horvat, BB, Demko, Benn...He's got one big whiff in LE.   JV isn't done yet, too early to know for sure but maybe him, and Bear simply because he's not playing (at the time nobody was complaining about this deal).    Our cap issues are temporary.   Sure he could blow it all on one guy like he did with LE so get the trepidation, but his payments are grossly exaggerated compared to the other teams middle and bottom six players.     Compare apples to apples.   Guys on ELCs and vets last year or two before retiring going for the cup don't count.    Could be a lot worse, isn't Pearson outperforming first line Jamie Benn lol.    Good grief.    Anyone who's lamenting this much doesn't look at other teams lineups much, and focuses only on our team.    

Pearson also has as many goals as Eichel, Okposo and Hall combined.......

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Just gonna leave this right here.... 27 year old 40 point forward.

Screenshot_20210412-105128_Chrome.jpg

I'm not sure what you're getting at here...

By age 27 iafallo has 1 40 pt season 

His contract is 4x4

By age 27 (hes now 28) Pearson had 3 40 pt seasons

His contract is 3.25x3

Are you praising the deal benning got?

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

I'm not sure what you're getting at here...

By age 27 iafallo has 1 40 pt season 

His contract is 4x4

By age 27 (hes now 28) Pearson had 3 40 pt seasons

His contract is 3.25x3

Are you praising the deal benning got?

Exactly what he's doing. There's now loads of comparables from before and now after Covid clearly showing Benning in no way 'overpaid' for Pearson.

A lot of crow to go around to the usual, clueless suspects.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

Just now, aGENT said:

Exactly what he's doing. There's now loads of comparables from before and now after Covid clearly showing Benning in no way 'overpaid' for Pearson.

A lot of crow to go around to the usual, clueless suspects.

Okay good. I agree with that. I thought he was trying to bash the contract lol

• Cheers 4