The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Well played Benning

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

37 minutes ago, gurn said:

You talked about E.P.'s" creative process" being limiited by being turned into a two way player, I gave an example of a former offensive jugernaut, that used to get more points than Petey has ever had; being turned into a two player that won 3 cups.

Creative process isn’t the same as talking about points. 
It’s more about letting Petey do his thang and when he’s grown more accustomed to NHL, steer him towards what you want. 

17 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Creative process isn’t the same as talking about points. 
It’s more about letting Petey do his thang and when he’s grown more accustomed to NHL, steer him towards what you want. 

Whatever.

In 2 years time though, we'll have a LOT of big holes to fill that we don't have coming up in our organization.

We'll need to find ourselves two decent two-way centers who can kill penalties and likely a decent top-4 defenceman.

UFAs are often over-priced and variable and of course trades will be hard to come by, but that 3C Sutter spot is IMO one of the most important for a deep team and without him and Beagle we'll suffer. Even if we re-sign Sutter cheaply for a 4C role, we still have a giant gap to fill on that third line that has been a weak point. 

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

In 2 years time though, we'll have a LOT of big holes to fill that we don't have coming up in our organization.

We'll need to find ourselves two decent two-way centers who can kill penalties and likely a decent top-4 defenceman.

UFAs are often over-priced and variable and of course trades will be hard to come by, but that 3C Sutter spot is IMO one of the most important for a deep team and without him and Beagle we'll suffer. Even if we re-sign Sutter cheaply for a 4C role, we still have a giant gap to fill on that third line that has been a weak point. 

Vesey? 
Jasek? 
Focht? 

We don’t have a straight forward answer there but defensive centres usually take longer to develop and come out of the left field since they’re not putting up tons of points leading up to their promotion. 

Edit: but I do agree that we definitely need one of Beagle or Sutter to stay. Sutter looks like a better bet, just a question on if he’ll take a big paycut

to stay. 

Edited by VancouverHabitant

On 4/9/2021 at 5:26 AM, IBatch said:

The OP has a point,  and there is a precedent for this, JB did it with BB if you recall, got the cap down to 6 million and the CDC was losing its mind trying to figure out why he'd do that because "no way" was BB worth less then 7 on a long term deal.    

Later for those interested or curious, it came out both sides weren't even close on a long term deal, so JB moved on and sold the space.    Anyone on this site who thinks JB isn't operating with similar variables right now and is just screaming into a pillow over Pearson or whatever,  be prepared to find out the why if it later.   That deal was decent for any team - ours?  I didn't like it and have been asking the team to trade him on the CDC since last TDL.    However i can see his value, we can't afford an upgrade (yet), and the only two comps Hyman and Coleman have their own connections, low chance they'd come here unless we overpaid them.    Pearson is not overpaid, that part is a big joke.   I think flat cap has some thinking less cap - it means exactly that - FLAT cap.   Pearson took 500k less on his first UFA deal, taking him to 31 almost 32 big deal.  

Some have already made some insights that maybe Beagle is out next year.   Others have pointed out their isn't a NMC, so he can be dangled to Seattle, despite some posters saying they have agreement that won't happen but without giving a source (another CDCer isn't a source BTW).  

Back to BB.   That was an agonizing signing, his agent was way off.   If EP and QHs are already in negotiations, which is very plausible, JB might already know where they will end up or close to it anyways.   Barzal and AHO set the price for range  EP, i've explained why both these guys had better ELC deals on other threads, zero chance he gets more, i say less (and i might be wrong big deal).    QHs ... well he's an adventure in his own zone no real comps available.   Feel doing then as a pair makes sense,     

Also Ferland's money is available, if not he plays, ok either way.   And one roster guy goes to Seattle.   It isn't 17.4 - it's 22-26 available....that's enough to get it done.  

I appreciate a sensible post like this. I don’t agree with everything that JB has done either, but I think that we are headed in the right direction. 

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

33 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

I appreciate a sensible post like this. I don’t agree with everything that JB has done either, but I think that we are headed in the right direction. 

A sensible post on CDC?? No way.... :P

• Cheers 1