The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Well played Benning

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

14 minutes ago, spook007 said:

So does Petey kind off... Its not as if Petey set the world on fire this season...

I think they'll both end up with a bridge deal, but time will tell. Point was, that folks were concerned about the same, when these deals had to be made... 

153 points in 165 games and if he didn't hit like 10+ post to start the season he'd also be leading the team in goals that's pretty impressive compare to horvat and boeser

14 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

153 points in 165 games and if he didn't hit like 10+ post to start the season he'd also be leading the team in goals that's pretty impressive compare to horvat and boeser

Injury wise.... and I think Brocks stats 161 point in 197, games prior to signing his bridge deal, are none too far of those of Petey's (not quite as good)...

Fact is none of us knows, what Petey will be pushing for...

Edited by spook007

11 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yeah, after this signing, I would add agents as another group that has done very well when dealing with JB; I am starting to wonder if this group (including Aquaman) have an internal cap when it comes to player contracts or are they mainly just depending on Google & the agents to set the starting price ?

you know whats sad, your comment. i have posted several proofs in this thread that suggest all you haters are full of lies and misguided speech.

can you show me any proof of signings other than 1 year contracts, or the name tyler toffoli in it that tanner pearson is overpaid?

i guess you'll spout some nonsense about flat cap, so i will answer your lack of vision before you mention it.

the cap will not be going up this year, but there is a really good chance of it going up next year. just like every other season post covid.

flat cap what?

38 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Injury wise.... and I think Brocks stats 161 point in 197, games prior to signing his bridge deal, are none too far of those of Petey's (not quite as good)...

Fact is none of us knows, what Petey will be pushing for...

boeser had 116 in 130 games when he signed his contract EP have a much bigger sample size i mean yes we don't know what they are pushing for but they are definitely going to look for 7+ even on a small bridge barzal's contract will prolly be a starting point

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

you know whats sad, your comment. i have posted several proofs in this thread that suggest all you haters are full of lies and misguided speech.

can you show me any proof of signings other than 1 year contracts, or the name tyler toffoli in it that tanner pearson is overpaid?

i guess you'll spout some nonsense about flat cap, so i will answer your lack of vision before you mention it.

the cap will not be going up this year, but there is a really good chance of it going up next year. just like every other season post covid.

flat cap what?

What on earth...?

Bettman has explicitly stated in public that GMs have to prepare for a flat cap in the coming years.  From a TSN Radio interview:

Bettman: Cap will be flat for at least a couple years. Because we could be down 800M-1B due to COVID, the cap theoretically may need to come down. We decided not to because it may be disruptive. When things get back to normal,hopefully we catch back up to where we we were.

From the press conference on the ESPN deal last month:

Bettman: There's major escrow building up before of the lack of attendance. The salary cap will be a flat cap or near flat cap for the next four years.

So PLEASE... tell me the good reason you've kept secret from us that contradicts a statement from the NHL commissioner.

Edited by Bob.Loblaw

On 4/10/2021 at 10:24 AM, RU SERIOUS said:

Yes, 22-23 should be a year of promise - as long as JB doesn't go and sign long term contracts with any expiring deadwood and I'm not sure he'll be smart enough to resist doing that as he's already overpaid and overextended on a three year contract with Pearson which is starting his senior citizen years of decline. 

I feel like every year is a year of promise :lol: and once we reach that year it gets pushed back. 

Benning's 2 year timeline is so inconsistent with his moves last season. JT Miller and getting a rental in the form of Toffoli doesn't seem like a move a GM would do in 2020 if he felt the team was going to get competitive by 2022 or 2023. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

What on earth...?

Bettman has explicitly stated in public that GMs have to prepare for a flat cap in the coming years.  From a TSN Radio interview:

So PLEASE... tell me the good reason you've kept secret from us that contradicts a statement from the NHL commissioner.

the CBA has built in increases into the upper limit of the cap.

For any League Year where Preliminary HRR is between $3.3 Billion and $4.8 Billion, the Upper Limit for the fo

llowing League Year shall be between $81.5 Million and $82.5 Million on a pro rata basis (e.g., if Preliminary HRR is $4.05 Billion, the Upper Limit will be $82 Million).

just for a reference nhl made 5.1 billion pre-covid. with a new expansion and a new tv contract, it seems more than likely there will be a increase. especially with the majority of the population to be vaccinated by october. I expect arenas will be fully open in the states. and in canada I expect them to be partially open, and fully open before christmas.

Edited by Petey_BOI

Just now, Petey_BOI said:

the CBA has built in increases the upper limit of the cap. whenever the revenue reaches 3.3 billion or higher, they would be breaking the CBA. i'm Positive the nhl will make at least this amount of money especially with a new expansion.

You are directly contradicting multiple statements made by Gary Bettman.  WTF are you talking about?

Here are some of the details from the CBA signed last summer.

• Upper Limit will remain at $81.5 Million until Preliminary HRR for the just completed League Year surpasses $3.3 Billion. 
  • For any League Year where Preliminary HRR is between $3.3 Billion and $4.8 Billion, the Upper Limit for the following League Year shall be between $81.5 Million and $82.5 Million on a pro rata basis (e.g., if Preliminary HRR is $4.05 Billion, the Upper Limit will be $82 Million). 
  • Once Preliminary HRR for the immediately preceding League Year surpasses $4.8 Billion, the Upper Limit will increase by $1 Million per League Year until the Escrow Balance is paid off.

$4.8 billion is the magic number.  They will be lucky if they hit 3 billion this year.  They are also hemorrhaging dollars right now.  The current agreement is an absolute mess, but everything indicates the cap will not go up.  And in case I haven't stated before, let me repeat... THE COMMISSIONER IS SAYING WE'RE HAVING A FLAT CAP FOR THE NEXT FEW YEARS.

Just now, Bob.Loblaw said:

You are directly contradicting multiple statements made by Gary Bettman.  WTF are you talking about?

Here are some of the details from the CBA signed last summer.

$4.8 billion is the magic number.  They will be lucky if they hit 3 billion this year.  They are also hemorrhaging dollars right now.  The current agreement is an absolute mess, but everything indicates the cap will not go up.  And in case I haven't stated before, let me repeat... THE COMMISSIONER IS SAYING WE'RE HAVING A FLAT CAP FOR THE NEXT FEW YEARS.

man you have sunk to a new level, your believing gary bettmans sauce.

re-read the CBA 3.3Billion is the magic number every dollar earned over this amount and the cap goes up!

pre covid the last time we made less than 3.3 billion in revenue was 2014, since then we have had two expansions and 2 new major tv contracts.

Bettman is a fool, the NHL is Succesful despite of him. It doesn't suprise me he can't see the writing on the wall.

29 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

the CBA has built in increases into the upper limit of the cap.

For any League Year where Preliminary HRR is between $3.3 Billion and $4.8 Billion, the Upper Limit for the fo

llowing League Year shall be between $81.5 Million and $82.5 Million on a pro rata basis (e.g., if Preliminary HRR is $4.05 Billion, the Upper Limit will be $82 Million).

just for a reference nhl made 500 billion pre-covid. with a new expansion and a new tv contract, it seems more than likely there will be a increase. especially with the majority of the population to be vaccinated by october. I expect arenas will be fully open in the states. and in canada I expect them to be partially open, and fully open before christmas.

How on earth did they manage 100 years of revenue over a TV deal and an expansion fee?   lol - it's more then 500 million .... but a lot less then 500 billion.    The league hasn't made that much since it started collectively...650 for the expansion fee i'm pretty sure, which goes directly into the owners pockets separately and doesn't count against the cap.    TV deal... it's still a gate driven business, at least half its revenue comes from there.   So far the players owe the NHL 1.5 seasons worth of games when they finish this season but are getting paid all their money.    That will take the league 3-4 years to get back at least without the cap going up it's normal 5ish percent.   

As far as Pearson goes he signed a flat cap deal, 500k less then he was making, 3.25 x 3 is fair/decent value for what he does.   Doesn't mean we all wanted him back though, some like myself, would have liked to see the cap used elsewhere, or saved for an actual upgrade on Horvats wing. 

Edited by IBatch

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

How on earth did they manage 100 years of revenue over a TV deal and an expansion fee?   lol - it's more then 500 million .... but a lot less then 500 billion.    The league hasn't made that much since it started collectively...650 for the expansion fee i'm pretty sure, which goes directly into the owners pockets separately and doesn't count against the cap.    TV deal... it's still a gate driven business, at least half its revenue comes from there.   So far the players owe the NHL 1.5 seasons worth of games when they finish this season but are getting paid all their money.    That will take the league 3-4 years to get back at least without the cap going up it's normal 5ish percent.   

relax its a typo.

7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

it's been about ten years since the nhl made less than 3.3 billion

https://www.statista.com/statistics/193468/total-league-revenue-of-the-nhl-since-2006/#:~:text=In the 2019%2F20 season%2C the total league revenue,from 2005%2F06 to 2019%2F20 (in billion U.S. dollars)

the cap will go up regardless of how much money the owners lost this season or last season. it's buiLt into the CBA

Edited by Petey_BOI

11 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

re-read the CBA 3.3Billion is the magic number every dollar earned over this amount and the cap goes up!

pre covid the last time we made less than 3.3 billion in revenue was 2014, since then we have had two expansions and 2 new major tv contracts.

Bettman is a fool, the NHL is Succesful despite of him. It doesn't suprise me he can't see the writing on the wall.

Every dollar earned above $3.3 billion will increase the cap on a pro-rated level.  The HRR would have to hit $4.8 billion for the NHL to increase the cap by a measly $1 mil.  But given the current circumstances, that's just not going to happen.

You are the first person that is actively predicting a consistent salary cap increase.  I would merit your opinion more if you said the CBA is going to break down before its expiry and require re-negotiation.

19 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

How much did the league make last year?   How much are the making this year? 

Just now, Bob.Loblaw said:

Every dollar earned above $3.3 billion will increase the cap on a pro-rated level.  The HRR would have to hit $4.8 billion for the NHL to increase the cap by a measly $1 mil.  But given the current circumstances, that's just not going to happen.

You are the first person that is actively predicting a consistent salary cap increase.  I would merit your opinion more if you said the CBA is going to break down before its expiry and require re-negotiation.

So what you think the stands wont be open? cause if they are that money is as reliable as the sunsetting. 2019/2020 we probably would have reached 6.5 billion

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

How much did the league make last year?   How much are the making this year? 

why do i care? i'm talking about the 2022/2023 season for a increase.

but in 2019/2020 they made like 4.4 billion, you see how likely it is now for a increase for that 2022/2023 season

Edited by Petey_BOI

9 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

So what you think the stands wont be open? cause if they are that money is as reliable as the sunsetting. 2019/2020 we probably would have reached 6.5 billion

It's about making up over a billion less then what they make in 2019 last year, and a heck of a lot less this year.   The cap was set with league revenues expected to remain going up ... it hasn't, don't think it's hard to understand.   It doesn't matter what you think about magic numbers, the only one they matters is what Bettman keeps saying, league revenues is split 50/50.   Players get paid based on revenues expected to be 5 billion at least.   The league expected 5.4 ...Last season the league made 4.35 .... 650 million short at least, 1 billion short of projections .   This year?   It's going to be billions short.     Yet the players get their full paycheques.  

Edited by IBatch

9 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

why do i care? i'm talking about the 2022/2023 season for a increase.

but in 2019/2020 they made like 4.4 billion, you see how likely it is now for a increase for that 2022/2023 season

Ok.  Let's try one more time.   The league projected 5.4 billion and set the cap for that.   They made 4.35 - that's one billion short.    This year the revenues will be what?   2.5-3 maybe.   That's a lot of money the players owe the owners.   It will take years of flat cap to make up for it.    They league needs to make 3-4 billion over 5.4 up before the cap will go up again.   Or am i wrong? 

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

It's about making up over a billion less then what they make in 2019 last year, and a heck of a lot less this year.   The cap was set with league revenues expected to remain going up ... it hasn't, don't think it's hard to understand.   It doesn't matter what you think about magic numbers, the only one they matters is what Bettman keeps saying, league revenues is split 50/50.   Players get paid based on revenues expected to be 5 billion at least.   Last season the league made 4.35 .... 650 million short.   This year?   It's going to be billions short.   

the nhl will be breaking the contract of the CBA if they don't increase the upper limit. the players don't give very many thoughts about the poor owners losing hand over fist this and last year. As soon as the NHL revenue reaches the agreement the owners and players agreed to the Cap will go up. Besides @Bob.Loblawwas conviently leaving out part of bettmans take. "NHL salary cap will remain flat or near flat for the immediate future" read into that all you want. but what I take is that he expects no raises next year, and he expects the cap  will go up modestly like 1 million which is pre-determined in the CBA