The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Severe Cap Issues Next Year

Rate this topic

AK_19

35 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

TDL done.

Any cap wrangling will be done in the offseason.

Nothing like leaving it until the last minute to do a lot of contact work. 

Hope he somehow wins at this. 

Saved cap with both Gaudette and Benn gone and now have cheaper but unimpressive replacements.

8 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

Saved cap with both Gaudette and Benn gone and now have cheaper but unimpressive replacements.

Except neither of those guy were signed into next year.. so actually we just committed $1.5 mil to two replacement level players 

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

True, as is the sad reality that he was forced to make those moves instead of those he can’t, like LE, etc. 

It feels better in the feelz to ponder the silver linings in his deals than the dismal reality of mismanagement, behind them. 

12 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

True, as is the sad reality that he was forced to make those moves instead of those he can’t, like LE, etc. 

It feels better in the feelz to ponder the silver linings in his deals than the dismal reality of mismanagement, behind them. 

I don't get how it's the sad reality.. no $ was committed to either Gaudette or Benn next year 

10 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

I don't get how it's the sad reality.. no $ was committed to either Gaudette or Benn next year 

Big picture-wise, he didn’t trade the actual cap sea-anchors.  Instead, he trades what was easy to. I could have done that.  GM of the year. 

It was so minor compared to the contracts he’s sitting on and being hid all over the place. 

That’s a sad reality. 

1 minute ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Big picture-wise, he didn’t trade the actual cap sea-anchors.  Instead, he trades what was easy to. I could have done that.  GM of the year. 

It was so minor compared to the contracts he’s sitting on and being hid all over the place. 

That’s a sad reality. 

Oh ok well I agree with you there. It's just that you said "true" to a comment saying we shed cap, when in reality we actually increased next year's cap by $1.5m (albeit for 2 players making league min at least) 

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

Except neither of those guy were signed into next year.. so actually we just committed $1.5 mil to two replacement level players 

Ok, it would be more accurate to say that the replacement folks are cheaper than resigning Gauds and Benn. Comes out to the same thing in my mind as the bottom line is gaining much needed cap space.

1 minute ago, steviewonder20 said:

Ok, it would be more accurate to say that the replacement folks are cheaper than resigning Gauds and Benn. Comes out to the same thing in my mind as the bottom line is gaining much needed cap space.

Yes but nothing was forcing us to resign Gauds or Benn. We could easily signed guys in the offseason to league min or even tried guys out on PTOs 

Doing the cap numbers today I can see why JB is not worried about the cap next year. If it is true that Beagle is done and will be on LTIR, after Beagle and Ferland are put the list JB will have about $27mil to sign Petey and Huggy and fill out the roster. There may even be  enough money to sign a FA. 

Edited by spur1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, DSVII said:

With Madison Bowey acquired, looks like Benning will protect his guy.

No he acquired Bowey to protect Myers.   He won't let Myers go without a plan in place to replace him.    Personally i'm kind of over the Schen, Pouilet, Del Zotto years and i'm sure he is too. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, spur1 said:

Doing the cap numbers today I can see why JB is not worried about the cap next year. If it is true that Beagle is done and will be on LTIR, after Beagle and Ferland are put the list JB will have about $27mil to sign Petey and Huggy and fill out the roster. There may even be  enough money to sign a FA. 

Well if you believe some of the things said on this site over the last week or so he's only got "17.4" to work with.   Sigh. Said we'd have 22-26 before the TDL...now it looks like that's gone up before any buyouts. 

• Haha 1

JB did what was required.   That was giving him the option to protect OJ, Schmidt and Myers.    AG obviously wasn't part of the plans as far as re-signing goes, because we have two or three rookies in the wings and he didn't produce.  Time to take a deep breath and wait the season out.   He's got all the cash he needs like he said he would.  

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, IBatch said:

No he acquired Bowey to protect Myers.   He won't let Myers go without a plan in place to replace him.    Personally i'm kind of over the Schen, Pouilet, Del Zotto years and i'm sure he is too. 

Oh yeah that's what i meant, Bowey fulfills the expansion draft requirement.

• Cheers 1