The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Severe Cap Issues Next Year

Rate this topic

AK_19

6 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

No, I'm asking you what makes them "morons"?

Why should I put less stock in any of those opinions vs any opinion here or any other board?

I should be asking you that question, since you are the one posting their comments like they, or even you, have some sort of authority.

5 hours ago, Convincing John said:

By push and shelter you mean hold back? This is such a homer narrative. What does Pearson have to earn? Absolutely nothing. I’m so tired of this “Young guys need to earn their spots” bs when all the Vets had to do was sign a contract. A great example of this is Benn over Juolevi. How did Benn earn that spot over Juolevi? It’s garbage and that Veteran “chain of command” mentality is dated. Pearson can’t be challenged or replaced organically. He will always have a spot on the roster because he is making full time roster money. 

Yeah, that guaranteed money pretty much cements his spot in the peking order despite his on ice play.  It would had been nice if JB would stop with this needing to mentor theory cause these young players are so managed from the time they start playing that the transition should not take too long unless the player is lazy/entitled - not driven; it would be nice to give EP & QH (as younger vets or even Horvat to finally) earn the leadership role from these overpayed mentoring vets and if sheltering is needed then find a cheaper option/covid cast offs.  Perhaps JB is sucking up to agents ?

Another overpayed third liner at the end of this contract; I guess, Aquaman is happy paying for JBs' cap mismangement if he is ok with this signing - perhaps there is something going on, that we dont know about ?

Just my opinion: upon hearing of this signing, the feeling I got was very similar to the LE, Rooster, Sutter, Beagle and Holtby signings - too much term & cap for support (aging) type players; hopefully, hindsight will be kinder to this signing and he will prove us all wrong (but I doubt it).  Aquaman, really needs to hire a team president that can complement JB or challenge JB when making these type of signings or trade.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, Nucksownyou said:

I should be asking you that question, since you are the one posting their comments like they, or even you, have some sort of authority.

I didn't say any one opinion mattered more, just what the majority thinks, especially outside Vancouver where there isn't a certain type of bias.

51 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

I didn't say any one opinion mattered more, just what the majority thinks, especially outside Vancouver where there isn't a certain type of bias.

Redditors have a different kind of bias where everything Benning does is now viewed as a meme.  He is one of the great laughingstocks of the sport that just keeps on giving and giving.  At least they have a sense of humor over there.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Redditors have a different kind of bias where everything Benning does is now viewed as a meme.  He is one of the great laughingstocks of the sport that just keeps on giving and giving.  At least they have a sense of humor over there.

Yup... and they will be laughing right up until he wins the Cup. 

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

The majority outside of Vancouver put us as 4-5 in our division to start the year.   Lots of complaining that we made the majority so far. 

Edited by IBatch

2 hours ago, spur1 said:

Yup... and they will be laughing right up until he wins the Cup. 

Well with the schedule that just came out you can kiss that cup dream goodbye...

42 minutes ago, IBatch said:

The majority outside of Vancouver put us as 4-5 in our division to start the year.   Lots of complaining that we made the majority so far. 

I think it's safe to say the team has underperformed this year.  True, we seem in better shape than Calgary right now, but we have a younger core that'll still improve.  The Flames are probably going to fire their GM and blow up their core in the summer.

13 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Holy crap how does anyone read this wall of text you're spewing out??  Next time you want someone to actually answer back, please clean things up a bit.  It's like reading 15 text messages smashed into a single paragraph.

We have heard time and time again from current ex-Canucks to retired ex-Canucks how Jim Benning just straight-up ghosted them when they hit free agency.  More and more information will come out over the following years about how poor of a communicator Benning was with his players.  So take it from them, not me.  As for his cap management, I'm not really saying anything original here.  He is WIDELY considered to be one of the (if not) worst GMs in the NHL.  Zero GMs ever win every transaction but do you actually think he's been a good free agent GM?  And yes, we had a cap problem last offseason.  We have over $23 million locked up in a core of Rooster, Loui, Myers, Sutter, and Beagle.  That... is BAAADDDDD.

As for the rest of your nonsense, I'll just ignore it.  You're just throwing everything at the wall hoping something will stick.  Most of it I can't even read.

ya you really know anything about being a gm lol your laughable. 

• Vintage 1

10 hours ago, aGENT said:

Reports are Beagle will be in LTIR at least to start the year, if not it the whole year/on 'LTIRetirement'.

Eriksson, if not dumped, will be bought out. It saves the team cap and the owner actual cash.

ya i see them burying eriksson in utica  til he voids contract gives us minimum 1-6 mill off the books if u buy him out its 5.5 mill  divided over 2 yrs so 2 yr 2.75 cap hit  hopefully he just retires 

Edited by canuktravella

21 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Seems like you just don't have any opinion or know anything.  Why are you on a sports forum if all you want to do is worship the GM?

If your nose wasn’t so far up ... in the air. You just might be able to smell what JB is cooking.  

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Seems like you just don't have any opinion or know anything.  Why are you on a sports forum if all you want to do is worship the GM?

I like benning hes top drafting gm in nhl Podkolzin looks like  top 3 pick from his draft.  Boeser, Hughes, Petey, Demko  Hogs, Rathbone, Mcdonagh, Vlodeyev all gems.  Go be a oilers fan or something   jim’s  going nowhere aquaman loves him. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, spur1 said:

If your nose wasn’t so far up ... in the air. You just might be able to smell what JB is cooking.  

1 hour ago, canuktravella said:

I like benning hes top drafting gm in nhl Podkolzin looks like  top 3 pick from his draft.  Boeser, Hughes, Petey, Demko  Hogs, Rathbone, Mcdonagh, Vlodeyev all gems.  Go be a oilers fan or something   jim’s  going nowhere aquaman loves him. 

Why would I become an Oilers fan?  There is really bizarre mentality here where fans are expected to have blind loyalty in management.  How does that make any sense?  Honestly the hardest hockey fans this season are Sabres fans.  I'd say they've had the worst 20 years but their fanbase is loyal to the team.  But they are frustrated AF with the team's mismanagement.  Fair or unfair, any struggling team in any sport will have calls for managers or coaches to get sacked.  But you guys... you're acting like cult-members.

As for Aquilini, you are correct.  Benning could let Petey and Huggy walk unqualified and he still wouldn't get fired and you two would still talk about his "plan".

• Cheers 1

23 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

Nahh, if I'm Seattle I'm just gonna take Kole Lind or OJ if his not protected. 

Well OJ and myers and Schmidt are only D protected so he's not going and I think they are done with virtanen over Lind especially with him learning center and PK

27 minutes ago, Russ said:

Well OJ and myers and Schmidt are only D protected so he's not going and I think they are done with virtanen over Lind especially with him learning center and PK

Personally I have Lind as our 7th protected forward.

Hoping Jim can trade a few of the other guys for the C we need.

On 4/8/2021 at 7:15 PM, AK_19 said:

With the new signings of Demko ($5mil) and Pearson ($3.25mil), we are under some serious problems with icing a decent team next year. Next year we have $17,473,121 million in cap space with 15 players signed. Capfriendly states its only 12 players signed but I'm assuming they aren't counting currently injured players.

Signed Next Year:

Forwards

Boeser         $5.87 mil

Horvat          $5.50 mil

Miller            $5.25 mil

Pearson.      $3.25 mil

Roussel        $3.00 mil

Beagle.        $3.00 mil

Virtanen       $2.55 mil

Motte           $1.25 mil

Hoglander  $0.90 mil

Macewan   $0.80 mil

Defensemen

Myers        $6.00 mil

Schmidt.    $5.95 mil

Goalies

Demko.     $5.0 mil

Holtby       $4.3 mil

I just did the math and we will have a little bit over 20 million in cap space.  Not a big difference, but I think you're missing something in your numbers there. 

23 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Redditors are on average, 12 year olds...  keep that in mind if you're trying to engage in conversations there.  Great memes though! :) 

On 4/9/2021 at 12:39 AM, DefCon1 said:

Is it similar plan that they had this offseason where Tanev and Toffoli were let go to sign Virtanen to 2.55 mil? I dont want it

You can't sign either Tanev or Toffoli with 2.55 mil.  

Tanev got 4.5 million, Toffoli got 4.25 million. 

2 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

You can't sign either Tanev or Toffoli with 2.55 mil.  

Tanev got 4.5 million, Toffoli got 4.25 million. 

You can if you find a backup not worth $4.3 million. It could have been done. Just wasn't the top of the priorities list for JB