The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Severe Cap Issues Next Year

Rate this topic

AK_19

7 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

Interesting that JB straight up answered when asked in today's interview, that he doesn't see any cap problems next year.  So he must have some knowledge that isn't public on perhaps Beagle's injury and future  or ownership agreeing to buyouts (Holtby, Eriksson?) or Ferland's situation etc.

It struck me that his answer was matter of fact,  "we don't anticipate any cap problems next year."

Exactly.... 

Like to think that GM's keep their cards close to their chest.

Last year leading up to the offseason it was the same... 

4 hours ago, canuktravella said:

ya but you think your smarter than you are im sure benning has a plan he did draft  boeser tryamkin hughes petey  hoglander virtanen demko  podkolzin juolevi  and  trade for motte pearson schmidt  how many nhl teams have you drafted or put together. Yes i dont like roussel myers sutter. pearson contracts  but zero gms ever win on every trade or signing thats just the way it is. Benning says hes not worried bout cap next yr meaning hes  got trades planned or some ones retiring or seattles taking one of our bad contracts at expansion im sure things will work out fine.  Plus u keep saying we ran into a cap situation last summer  did we really. we let tanev and marky  toffoli and stecher walk yes but did u wanna lock up another long term 16.0 mill right there no we let them go and went with youth i assume more youth will help team next yr 

Holy crap how does anyone read this wall of text you're spewing out??  Next time you want someone to actually answer back, please clean things up a bit.  It's like reading 15 text messages smashed into a single paragraph.

We have heard time and time again from current ex-Canucks to retired ex-Canucks how Jim Benning just straight-up ghosted them when they hit free agency.  More and more information will come out over the following years about how poor of a communicator Benning was with his players.  So take it from them, not me.  As for his cap management, I'm not really saying anything original here.  He is WIDELY considered to be one of the (if not) worst GMs in the NHL.  Zero GMs ever win every transaction but do you actually think he's been a good free agent GM?  And yes, we had a cap problem last offseason.  We have over $23 million locked up in a core of Rooster, Loui, Myers, Sutter, and Beagle.  That... is BAAADDDDD.

As for the rest of your nonsense, I'll just ignore it.  You're just throwing everything at the wall hoping something will stick.  Most of it I can't even read.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, aGENT said:

I think we need a guy like Pearson to both push and shelter the likes of Podkolzin and Hoglander.

Want a spot beside Bo? Earn it. Want to stay there? Keep earning it. Struggling? Injured? We have a guy that can play there.

By push and shelter you mean hold back? This is such a homer narrative. What does Pearson have to earn? Absolutely nothing. I’m so tired of this “Young guys need to earn their spots” bs when all the Vets had to do was sign a contract. A great example of this is Benn over Juolevi. How did Benn earn that spot over Juolevi? It’s garbage and that Veteran “chain of command” mentality is dated. Pearson can’t be challenged or replaced organically. He will always have a spot on the roster because he is making full time roster money. 

• Cheers 2

15 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

This forum is the last bastion for Jim Benning apologists.  I think he is universally hated in every other Canucks community and universally "loved" by the overall hockey community for his ineptitude.  He has become the butt of many hockey jokes.  We have a reputation for being a team with one of the most exciting, talented cores in the NHL, that's being dragged down by poor contracts.  People pity us.  We ran into the cap situation past summer and it's only going to get worse as those young stars have to get paid.

Yup cdc eats up his sheeple level excuses.

And spins his dim witted comments. 
There are a few on here that would defend him if traded EP for a cup of coffee. 
the organization can’t improve when it’s leader is  the leagues biggest idiot. 

2 hours ago, Convincing John said:

By push and shelter you mean hold back? This is such a homer narrative. What does Pearson have to earn? Absolutely nothing. I’m so tired of this “Young guys need to earn their spots” bs when all the Vets had to do was sign a contract. A great example of this is Benn over Juolevi. How did Benn earn that spot over Juolevi? It’s garbage and that Veteran “chain of command” mentality is dated. Pearson can’t be challenged or replaced organically. He will always have a spot on the roster because he is making full time roster money. 

I'm sorry you don't like how the world operates there snow flake.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, canuktravella said:

wheres beagle  eeiksson magically dissapeared? not sure we want gaudette as a 3rd line c 

Reports are Beagle will be in LTIR at least to start the year, if not it the whole year/on 'LTIRetirement'.

Eriksson, if not dumped, will be bought out. It saves the team cap and the owner actual cash.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

JB must know something we don't because with the information available to the public (eg. capgeek) there's no way we can fit everyone in. He must have some way to either move money around or one of these contracts is going, plus we'll lose a contract to Seattle (does he have some sort of agreement in place there?).

I trust in Benning's cap management, he's always been decent at that. Of course everyone, including myself, is upset with the 3.25M Pearson picked over 4.25M Toffoli but you could argue that 1M is Tyler Motte, so Pearson + Motte > Toffoli. In goals, of course not, but Pearson and Motte bring some big intangibles to our team which aren't as flashy or sexy, but help you win games. Hard to argue that 2 decent two-way forwards and penalty killers are more important than a 40 goal scorer but I can see where JB is coming from, especially when you already have some decent offensive pieces and very few good defensive forwards going forward (especially with Sutter and Beagle ageing). 

3 hours ago, Convincing John said:

coaches are always going to go with the more known quantity, unless given a mandate to play the kids by the GM and they aren't in the last year of their deals.

BTW, are you off the rigs now?

Pearson definitely hasn't earned his spot next to Horvat based on this season. If you want Podkolzin to have competition, you should probably have him compete with an actual good player.

One of this organization's biggest problems is that there is virtually no accountability amongst veterans -- it's a literal country club at times and Benning/Green are way too obsessed with their own bad players.

Edited by Josepho
  • Sad 1

I'm telling y'all, the Benning supporters don't actually believe the moves he makes are good.  They're simply so tired of all the warranted negativity brought on from his numerous, continuous blunders over the past 7 years that they're just willfully choosing to think his moves are great because it's a coping mechanism.  For them, it's better to spin and find any possible (pathetic) reason to rationalize a move than to do the easy thing and say "Yeah, this is bad, this is short-sighted, this doesn't help up" etc.  I don't blame these fans for wanting to be positive but sometimes, a spade needs to be called a spade and it's extremely tiresome to read the same old mindless drivel from this sect that chooses to engage in dissonance rather than accountability.

Seriously, they go on and on about "flat earth cap" and "COVID" and "expansion draft" and "hindsight is 20/20" as excuses for the summer and then the GM does something that totally doesn't consider any of those variables and suddenly it's "LOL 500K discounts, awesome!" and "GM works in the front office, you work at _____, I think I know who to trust".  Now watch, when the summer rolls around and half the team is LTIR'd or has to walk to open up cap-space and we now are icing an even worse team than we are this year, the same excuses will come back.

Trust me when I say that the streets and history books will remember this era.  Benning and Weisbrod will go down as bigger criminals in Canucks history than Keenan and Messier ever were.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

I just love how many people want to keep him on as GM when he does the same thing over and over and all he has to say to those fans is “He’s an important piece in our group.” What has the experience of these players and what has all these important pieces gotten us in his 7 years here? The third and fourth lines are a major problem. Too much money spent on below average players. If you look at great teams, they aren’t spending as much as we are on their bottom lines. It doesn’t make sense. I don’t know what the answer is. Obviously Benning is staying. It’s also obvious he is terrible at contract negotiations. We really don’t have a second line. Pearson isn’t a second line player. Hoglander is very young and Horvat is Horvat at this stage in his career. I think Podkolzin will help. I just am surprised that Benning has made a lot of bad mistakes in terms of term and the money given. It really has hindered the ability to get supporting players around our stars. What is going to change from this year to next coming back with the same group? It’s another excuse driven season as to why they aren’t good. Tired of hearing him use every excuse in the book.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

4 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Holy crap how does anyone read this wall of text you're spewing out??  Next time you want someone to actually answer back, please clean things up a bit.  It's like reading 15 text messages smashed into a single paragraph.

We have heard time and time again from current ex-Canucks to retired ex-Canucks how Jim Benning just straight-up ghosted them when they hit free agency.  More and more information will come out over the following years about how poor of a communicator Benning was with his players.  So take it from them, not me.  As for his cap management, I'm not really saying anything original here.  He is WIDELY considered to be one of the (if not) worst GMs in the NHL.  Zero GMs ever win every transaction but do you actually think he's been a good free agent GM?  And yes, we had a cap problem last offseason.  We have over $23 million locked up in a core of Rooster, Loui, Myers, Sutter, and Beagle.  That... is BAAADDDDD.

As for the rest of your nonsense, I'll just ignore it.  You're just throwing everything at the wall hoping something will stick.  Most of it I can't even read.

where do you get your info from? it is all full of holes.  Benning has been considered not the worst Gm, just go look up last year where he stood on the list. geez , everyone is allowed their own opinion on here, learn from it!!!

• Vintage 1

17 hours ago, mordekai said:

I did a quick lineup for 2022. Seems like Jb can be under the cap if eriksson and roussel are bought out. And if edler signs a joe thorton kinda deal to come back as 7th D.

Untitled-3.png.88b282a2c27ebb26f004f835925ce7ed.png

Got to think Virtanen will be gone to Seattle out of that group too unless magically they take Holtby or Myers.