The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Coming Back or No?

Rate this topic

28 minutes ago, appleboy said:

LOL

These guys are top 4 D men. Most teams do what they have to for an upgrade. The Canucks take something back or that club exposes someone else.

First of all, again, I don't think we would have/will move Schmidt. Myers is not probably an upgrade on most contenders #3 D. He'd be at best a lateral move for them to expose someone else. So no, they wouldn't.

He IS imminently tradeable AFTER the ED however to a bunch of teams that just lost their 4th best D.

Clubs who are focused on a cup run couldn't care less about the expansion draft. 

Yet more nonsense.

You know this discussion is all for not. Jim is not going to move Schmidt or Meyers and he is going to throw a ton of cash at Hughes. That means they will be looking for low cost solutions to fill out the D core. I think they will try to get Hamonic for a couple of mil and the rest will get filled from within.

Hughes will cost +/- $6m. We don't have roster space for all of Myers, Edler, Tryamkin and Hamonic. One will not be back.

Tryamkin won't get a big money offer either. 

Agreed.

Admit it, they have cap issues.    LOL           6 mil in LE , 3 mil for Lou's deal and too much rapped up in Holtby, Beaggle , Rousell.

We really don't. 

We will more than likely have a weaker D next year because of the cap problems.  Benning says they have no cap issues. What he means is they will be able to ice a team. Yes they will but he doesn't say it will be better. He actually says they are a couple of years away.  Because he knows they have cap restrictions that are impeding their ability to improve. 

We're a couple years away because Hughes and Petey are not in their primes (never mind Podkolzin, Hoglander, Lind, Juolevi, Rathbone or Woo). A few million dollars this year or next year isn't changing that.

I'm perfectly fine with a 'weaker' D core something like:

Edler, Schmidt

Hughes, Hamonic/Myers

Juolevi/Rathbone, Tryamkin

Juolevi/Rathbone, Bowey

Unless they can sign some cheap solutions or OJ and Rathbone play like seasoned vets.

They just need to tandem on the 3rd pair and fill in for injuries.

Edited by aGENT

23 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Hughes,  Rathbone, Schmidt in our top 6 will give us the softest defense in the league.   I really dont think the people on this board understand how important it is to have dmen that can play hardnosed with intensity.   Look at how heavy Tampas and St Louis defenses played the past 2 years.  If your aiming to build a defense full of small softies then youll get wrecked.  

Yeah... That's what Edler, Hamonic (or Myers), Tryamkin and Juolevi are for... Notice you just kinda skimmed over those guys.

• Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Even our local talk shows have a hate on for the big Russian. I  can understand eastern media but getting the criticism of JB and even a 3rd rounder from hometown media? And this piling on? That's like picking on former 3rd rounder Brisboise for no reason. 

I believe some people are still angry he left or upset at the situation with WD.

41 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Tree didn't feel he was getting enough ice time under WD.   That might be where that's coming from, a few more minutes and he would have approached top four the first time around.   Not to worried about that either, he was a rookie and that was a long time ago, sure he's a pro now and seasoned.    He does offer something the team needs, not sure if his camp will work out, if it does he'd be replacing Hamonic or Edler. 

His agent did say that he has matured a lot since those WD days when asked about that situation.

• Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, appleboy said:

You are right they have no cap issues.

Especially if you are content with the team regressing next year.

And now your back to trolling. Literally addressed nothing...

There's work to do, as there should be.

I don't see regression there we were always improving via drafted players (Tryamkin, Juolevi and Rathbone). We have all the cap we need, to retain the guys we have roster space for and add the 'kids' who will continue to push us forward.

Back to your falling sky there Chicken Little troll boy :frantic:

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, aGENT said:

And now your back to trolling. Literally addressed nothing...

There's work to do, as there should be.

I don't see regression there we were always improving via drafted players (Tryamkin, Juolevi and Rathbone). We have all the cap we need, to retain the guys we have roster space for and add the 'kids' who will continue to push us forward.

Back to your falling sky there Chicken Little troll boy :frantic:

I new that was coming. You always resort to calling people names when you realize that your reasoning is wrong or you know it is wrong but refuse to admit it. They have a considerable amount of dead cap space that comes from poor decision making. We have discussed this over the years but you said it would never be problem. ( You were wrong) It has stopped them from making the team better this year and will effect them next.

Maybe will have a couple of good drafts.

On 4/24/2021 at 8:09 PM, appleboy said:

I new that was coming. You always resort to calling people names when you realize that your reasoning is wrong or you know it is wrong but refuse to admit it. They have a considerable amount of dead cap space that comes from poor decision making. We have discussed this over the years but you said it would never be problem. ( You were wrong) It has stopped them from making the team better this year and will effect them next.

Maybe will have a couple of good drafts.

No, I 'resort to names' when posters serve up nothing burgers because they can't refute simple logic and facts and continually respond with inanity. Never mind your continuing history of in fact being a Chicken Little troll lol. The sky was falling last year... Apparently it's still falling. I'm sure it will be falling next year too according to you. And despite that falling sky, we actually improved our D this past summer. *Yawn*

It isn't a problem (beyond Eriksson, and even that we've managed to work around). Free agency was never how this team was 'getting better'.

Edited by aGENT
  • Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1

I'm kind of surprised the agent slipped the info that they wanted to come back last season but Benning wanted to iron things out first. You'd think they would have had things fleshed out for this season if they were so adamant about starting to come back last year. 

20 hours ago, aGENT said:

First of all, again, I don't think we would have/will move Schmidt. Myers is not probably an upgrade on most contenders #3 D. He'd be at best a lateral move for them to expose someone else. So no, they wouldn't.

He IS imminently tradeable AFTER the ED however to a bunch of teams that just lost their 4th best D.

Yet more nonsense.

Hughes will cost +/- $6m. We don't have roster space for all of Myers, Edler, Tryamkin and Hamonic. One will not be back.

Agreed.

We really don't. 

We're a couple years away because Hughes and Petey are not in their primes (never mind Podkolzin, Hoglander, Lind, Juolevi, Rathbone or Woo). A few million dollars this year or next year isn't changing that.

I'm perfectly fine with a 'weaker' D core something like:

Edler, Schmidt

Hughes, Hamonic/Myers

Juolevi/Rathbone, Tryamkin

Juolevi/Rathbone, Bowey

They just need to tandem on the 3rd pair and fill in for injuries.

If Myers makes it through the ED we should be thrilled, not looking to trade him.  He's the Edler replacement........the only guy capable of logging those hard, heavy mins.  He's been an absolute workhorse this season

• Cheers 2

On 4/21/2021 at 8:20 AM, Coconuts said:

Nah, he's gonna quit hockey and become a CDC moderator and then post pictures of himself wearing a Canucks jersey in every thread 

He'll then make a living selling the salt he accumulates 

Nikita be like ...

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

Myers Schmidt Hamonic Hughes Tryamkin Joulevi         Zadorov      Rathbone 

that’s what I would like to see next season.

5 guys who know the NHL game and 3 guys getting there legs .

perhaps a trade Virtannen for Zadorov, both need a change of scenery.

Jake has one more season at 2.5

Zadorov is RFA and might whince , but sign for less than the 3.2 he played for.

my wish list.   A dynamic pool of young big, skilled physical mobile men that could interchange with any other D man,  each having each other’s back, and playing with a Wolfpack mentality.

and if money for D is an issue, then start signing players for less on offence..

Perhaps that’s what JB is doing by stacking with the latest grabs .

its buyout time.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

If Myers makes it through the ED we should be thrilled, not looking to trade him.  He's the Edler replacement........the only guy capable of logging those hard, heavy mins.  He's been an absolute workhorse this season

And he is that even rarer bird, the RHD.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

My greater point is that we don't have roster space to bring back all three of Edler, Hamonic and Myers while also adding Tryamkin, Juolevi full time and likely trying to give Rathbone a look.

One of Edler/Myers/Hamonic is going to have to walk/get moved (or some have suggested Schmidt, which I think is silly personally).

I like Myers a lot but there's some logic to him being the guy that gets moved. First being that Hamonic is likely a better fit with Hughes.

Second, that both Hamonic and Edler could likely be re-signed (combined) for not much more than we're paying Myers alone and cover the short-mid term transition to bigger roles for Juolevi, Rathbone, Woo, possibly Tryamkin (and potentially our first rounder this year) over the next couple years.

That would also allow us to allocate some cap elsewhere (3C?) AND net us a decent trade return after the ED.

That said, I'm not opposed to simply retaining him either as you said. But then one of Hamonic/Edler isn't coming back. And I'm not sure I like the balance of our D core as much in that scenario.

Hughes, Hamonic/Myers 

Edler, Schmidt

Juolevi, Tryamkin

(Or if Edler is odd man out, Schmidt shifts left, likely partnered with Myers).

Again, bigger point being that we don't have room for all three and that no, the cap 'sky falling', isn't the reason.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1