The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Coming Back or No?

Rate this topic

6 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

It would be stupid to not get this guy back on the team.  But where would he play?

Maybe we can move Hughes to forward. Hmmmm

I feel like this is going to come up from time to time until the guys 30 years old lol.

I’m perfectly happy having him on the back end. We’ve never had anything like him and he’s only going to get better in all areas of the ice.

Now back to where would Tryamkin play? I wonder if Eddie is even in the plans next year? I think there’s a chance he gets a one year deal but also a chance we move on and guys like Joulevi and Tryamkin fill that void. 

• Cheers 1

Signing the Bfg is priority #1! Then I'd sign Hamonic.

Shop Schmidt for a 2nd and/or strong prospect. Apparently the Sens got the hots for a good, vet D. I'm sure a few others do, as well.

Tell Edler to wait..maybe sign him 1 month into the season? (have a nice long off-season) Take it one yr at a time for a low, AAV.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Provost said:

Tryamkin plays both sides, and played predominately RD.

If Edler and Hamonic want to come back, it should be in team friendly deals under $3 million.  We should only bring one back really as we need to slowly bring in younger players rather than have most of our defence over 30 and then have to do a wholesale change a year or two from now.

We won’t have both Juolevi and Rathbone as starting 6 next year.  Maybe if we have 8 guys and rotate them out if everyone is healthy.  

I wouldn’t be adverse to trading Schmidt after the expansion draft as his value would be highest when several teams will lose a top 4D.  I also wouldn’t be adverse to trading Juolevi as I think Rathbone just has a much higher ceiling and we can use Edler as a stop gap until Rathbone can be counted on for significant minutes.

Hamonic has been our steadiest defensive dman.  Whos going to replace the intensity and muscle he brings to our top 4?   I think shopping Schmidt is a must.. i dont see him in our long term plans at 6 mill.  But if we are going to bring in another small dman in Rathbone, we need muscle like Hamonic and Try on this club.

• Vintage 1

13 hours ago, IBatch said:

According to you that already happened by not signing Markstrom and trading Demko away for scraps because is the ED, not keeping Tanev and of course a certain portions beloved love affair for 20ish games of career middle six TT.   You've got lots of nails but they are mostly ending up in your own fingers. 

Thats not what I said in my post.  You are putting words into my post which are not there.

I said Benning had to do one of two things...  trade Markstrom or trade Demko... and get something for whoever he traded.

Same with Tanev... you get something of value.

So stop lying and stop smearing.

10 hours ago, IBatch said:

Yes he can.   I agree with Button, why ruin an important spot when better opportunities will arise.   Hamonic is one for sure.  As is OJ.   Tryamkin has to come to camp and show everyone what he can do.   His development could have stalled completely playing in the KHL.   It's a little better then the AHL but not by that much.  Well i guess i'm disagreeing with Button because he doesn't see any point at all - for him  that ship has sailed, doesn't think he's very good.  Tryamkin hasn't made the top ten prospects in our organization for years.   AHL guys are in there.   He is not. 

Tryamkin has actually had an Excellent year in the K. He was amazing when I watched him

play back in the WD days i cannot fathom how much better hell be now considering he has lost

weight and is by all measure a better Dman statistically then he was 4 years ago. 

You and Button WILL eat your words. I cannot wait. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

nah we won't be signing tryamkin.. the canucks simply don't have cap space for it.. we have what? 16mil to sign hughes and pettersson and then 3 other defenseman and couple forwards? let's just say hughes and pettersson signs for 6mil each which likely won't happen.. that leaves what? 4mil to sign 3 defenseman and couple forwards? tryamkin ain't playing for league minimum more like 1.5-2mil and even that we prolly can't afford lol unless eriksson retires or we get rid of virtanen

40 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

nah we won't be signing tryamkin.. the canucks simply don't have cap space for it.. we have what? 16mil to sign hughes and pettersson and then 3 other defenseman and couple forwards? let's just say hughes and pettersson signs for 6mil each which likely won't happen.. that leaves what? 4mil to sign 3 defenseman and couple forwards? tryamkin ain't playing for league minimum more like 1.5-2mil and even that we prolly can't afford lol unless eriksson retires or we get rid of virtanen

We have Ferland and Beagle potentially on LTIR, we also will have Seattle taking someone so we have the space.

Whilst I don’t automatically pen in LE as bought out it is a possibility as it saves cap and real money. Either that if he get buried in the minors to a similar level of cap space back. 

we are tight on cap but not in a crunch 

Edited by UKNuck96

17 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

We have Ferland and Beagle potentially on LTIR, we also will have Seattle taking someone so we have the space.

Whilst I don’t automatically pen in LE as bought out it is a possibility as it saves cap and real money. Either that if he get buried in the minors to a similar level of cap space back. 

we are tight on cap but not in a crunch 

ok that gives us 22 23mil to sign our 2 ufa and potentially a top 4 defenseman assuming we don't re-sign edler.. the defense needs work.. Hughes needs someone to cover his defensive flaws to be effective. unless seattle is taking virtanen assuming he even gets left unprotected not much saving we are getting there. so unless we are filling the team with a bunch of league minimum rookies i still doubt we are signing tryamkin.. and more realistic is hughes and pettersson will get closer to 7 or a little north of 7. not really much to play around with to fill a 3c,4c and a top 4 D plus a bunch of bottom 6 and bottom pairing D

15 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

ok that gives us 22 23mil to sign our 2 ufa and potentially a top 4 defenseman assuming we don't re-sign edler.. the defense needs work.. Hughes needs someone to cover his defensive flaws to be effective. unless seattle is taking virtanen assuming he even gets left unprotected not much saving we are getting there. so unless we are filling the team with a bunch of league minimum rookies i still doubt we are signing tryamkin.. and more realistic is hughes and pettersson will get closer to 7 or a little north of 7. not really much to play around with to fill a 3c,4c and a top 4 D plus a bunch of bottom 6 and bottom pairing D

There will be player moves as well. The situation will be fluid and not a static who we have now is what we will have next season. Will it be tight yea, but then it is every year for all cap teams. 

If they take JV that’s an extra 2.5 available. I’m not saying it’s going to be easy to work it out but It’s quite possible to sign Tryankin and still work with the cap space we have. Plus he is a player we need, a strong crease clearing presence and not afraid to push and challenge the puck carrier. He steps up. 

• Like 1

Much as I love Schmidt's whoops, enthusiasm and garrulous interviews, and Edler's loyalty and dedication to the team, I think we trade Schmidt in the summer and hold off resigning Alex until we see what our cap position is in the fall.  A left side of Hughes, Rathbone and Juolevi , matched by a right side of Hamonic, Tryamkin and Myers would be the result, with a selection, if all resigned, from Bowey, Chatfield, Rafferty, Sautner, Brisebois and Woo (Utunen?) making up the 7th and 8th D-men

Would Tram-bone be a better pair than Schmid-ler? Pluses and minuses for both pairs, but a huge difference in cap hit.  And would mean we could resign Hamonic and protect him, Myers and Juolevi, thus making Holtby or Virtanen more attractive to Seattle

Edited by Googlie
  • Cheers 1

I don't get why people are so quick to move on from Schmidt...:picard: 

He's taken a while to adapt to his new team but a prime aged, #2-#3D, with a solid two way game, on a good contract, is not remotely who you move out.

• Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Much as I love Schmidt's whoops, enthusiasm and garrulous interviews, and Edler's loyalty and dedication to the team, I think we trade Schmidt in the summer and hold off resigning Alex until we see what our cap position is in the fall.  A left side of Hughes, Rathbone and Juolevi , matched by a right side of Hamonic, Tryamkin and Myers would be the result, with a selection, if all resigned, from Bowey, Chatfield, Rafferty, Sautner, Brisebois and Woo (Utunen?) making up the 7th and 8th D-men

Would Tram-bone be a better pair than Schmid-ler? Pluses and minuses for both pairs, but a huge difference in cap hit.  And would mean we could resign Hamonic and protect him, Myers and Juolevi, thus making Holtby or Virtanen more attractive to Seattle

Schmidt and his 6 mill likely will be gone soon.  Esp  If OJ looks good for the remainder of the year, and Hamonic keeps his steady play up.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He's taken a while to adapt to his new team but a prime aged, #2-#3D, with a solid two way game, on a good contract, is not remotely who you move out.

I had the same idea, but having thought of it for a bit, if Rathbone/OJ take the next step with Tryamkin coming back moving Schmidt could be a boon for us.  Though Edler would have to come back and that's the whole left side.  Also, I think it's a given that Hamonic is brought back.

Hughes - Hamonic

Edler - Tryamkin

OJ - Myers

Rathbone

Chatfield

Not sure how I feel about that group as it seems to be heavy on youth with 3 vets holding it down but man that's a big D group minus Hughes.  I guess it depends what we could get for Schmidt.  If we could parlay him into a RHD of similar skill set I think that's a no brainer and shuffles everything nicely.  But in no way should we be moving him just to open a space on the left side, especially as you said, he is on a team friendly deal for a few more years.

Curious if Rafferty could round out his game or be destined to be an AHL All-Star and if Bowey has more to give.  The defence seems to be 2 steps forward 1 step back the last few seasons. 

6 minutes ago, Petey Castiglione said:

I had the same idea, but having thought of it for a bit, if Rathbone/OJ take the next step with Tryamkin coming back moving Schmidt could be a boon for us.  Though Edler would have to come back and that's the whole left side.  Also, I think it's a given that Hamonic is brought back.

Hughes - Hamonic

Edler - Tryamkin

OJ - Myers

Rathbone

Chatfield

Not sure how I feel about that group as it seems to be heavy on youth with 3 vets holding it down but man that's a big D group minus Hughes.  I guess it depends what we could get for Schmidt.  If we could parlay him into a RHD of similar skill set I think that's a no brainer and shuffles everything nicely.  But in no way should we be moving him just to open a space on the left side, especially as you said, he is on a team friendly deal for a few more years.

Curious if Rafferty could round out his game or be destined to be an AHL All-Star and if Bowey has more to give.  The defence seems to be 2 steps forward 1 step back the last few seasons. 

I'd WAY rather move Myers.

And that's from someone who endlessly defends him/his contract against the constant onslaught of idiocy around both.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

It's a good problem to have.  We actually have a glut of defencemen right now, except that many are promising prospects rather than cagey veterans.

If ever there was a year to see what the rookies can do, it may be this one.  If Montreal wins another and we drop one or to to Ottawa, then I'd play Rathbone, Juolevi,  Chatfield, Rafferty, Brisebois et al in most situations to see what we have in them (not all together though, maybe 3 per game max). With the draft uncertainty, this is likely the year when it least matters if we draft 5th, 15th or 25th

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Googlie said:

I think Myers is cut from the same mold as Tram ( or vice versa). Tall, rangy, smooth skating defencemen who aren't afraid to get their noses dirty clearing the crease or mucking in the corners. Can both give, and take, a hit to make a play.   Myers may be more offensively gifted, but that may be more of a coach holding Tram back than inability on his part.

IMO we're a better team with both patrolling the blue line

Again, nothing against Myers, he's a solid, 2nd pair D who gets far too much, unwarranted hate on here.

But Schmidt is both better and on a cheaper deal. If you're picking the guy to keep of the two, it's pretty easy IMO.

And as you say, Tryamkin would replace his size (albeit likely at a third pair level). But assuming we bring back Hamonic (or sign Larsson or Savard) I'd way, WAY rather move Myers in that scenario.