The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Rangers fire president John Davidson, GM Jeff Gorton; name Chris Drury as new president & GM

Rate this topic

15 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

1. If the Rangers truly wanted Parros fired over it, this reactive statement from their owner assured he would not be. Do you really think the NHL would fire him after that? No way are they going to give off the optics that a loudmouth owner shooting his mouth off to the press was rewarded by firing a top league official.

2. Presidents and GMs have to work on a daily basis with NHL executives. $&!#ting on them publicly doesnt help them maintain that working relationship.

3. The Canucks tried bitching about the refs, the league etc. A decade later it is still being held against them. Still think its a good idea for GMs to $&!# on people that have a very wide berth of authority to punish them?

4. Dolan is an absolute tool. This statement is something fans mouth off like. Not team owners. Parros is an inconsistent clown in his role with DPS. The whole department is a joke. But he and it are not going anywhere. Its one of the leagues most efficient ways of impacting results and drumming up controversy (read interest) in hockey. Its the golden goose to them.

I posted effectively the exact same thing, as have numerous other folks.

I think if someone doesn’t get it, you can’t explain it to them.

That public statement by Dolan just ensured job security for Parros... more than any other action that Dolan could have taken.  I posted elsewhere, even if Bettman was driving into the office that day really pissed off with Parros (I don’t think that is actually true), once he read that statement it would be “Well, No way I can fire him now...”

The statement backfiring is supported by recent reporting by Seravelli who heard from various sources that said the exact same thing.... that it galvanized support for Parros amongst the other owners and the league head office.  

If the intent wasn’t to get Parros fired, and to “stick up for his players”, it also wasn’t particularly effective. I also doubt it was the case as he also fired his GM and President because he wasn’t happy with the team they assembled.  Dolan just has a history of being pretty volatile... so it was almost certainly just an angry reaction.

None of that has to to with whether Wilson should have been suspended, or whether Parros is terrible at his job... this are entirely different issues that shouldn’t be conflated.

Holding anything against Davidson or Gorton for any of this is silly and immature.  They weren’t consulted on it, they didn’t agree with the way it was put out, they didn’t get a chance to deal with it their own ways, and they were already on their way out and about to be fired a few days later.  Taking the heat for a self inflicted wound by the owner who didn’t have their backs would be insane in these circumstances.   They are two well respected guys in the hockey world who will have jobs again really soon.  Dolan on the other hand hasn’t shown any competence in running a major league franchise.

• Cheers 1

I totally agree.

Add in the suspension to Buchnevich looking pretty suspect, if not retaliatory in nature, and you get another example of how much Dolan actually messed up here.

I dont think the firings had anything to do with this incident or statement. It just made it happen a few days early. It has been obvious from day 1 that Drury was highly ambitious in his quest to take over and likely behind the scenes machinations had a hand in this.

Davidson and Gorton did a great job over there. I expect they will both be employed shortly. Kind of hoping its in Vancouver lol.

This Rangers owner seems like a bit of a tool. Davidson is a very well respected league executive and Gortin has done a nice job, real nice. Drury has the keys to the car now and being a first time driver, he and the owner will soon realize this is not an easy drive.

• Vintage 1

19 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

Aqua, strike 1. tik-tok, tik-tok.

Davidson never would've come here.

Gorton maybe, but Davidson never he's a very patriotic American he's not going to come and work for a Canadian team unless they give him a truckload full of cash. And if he did come to Canada, it would be for a team like Toronto since they're basically America's team as it is.