The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Find a number 2 D to pair with Hughes

Rate this topic

fanfor42

The number one priority for the Canucks is to find a true stud number 2 D to pair with Hughes.

This will give us a true top pair.

Look at how Reilly has improved in TO since he was paired with TJ Brody.

Whatever the Canucks do, they need to find the stud defensive minded talented true number 2 D pair for him. It's not Hamonic (he's a good 5-6) and not Tanev (he's gone and was a good guy) and not Luke Schenn (fans liked him and he was the first partner). It is a true number 2 that is needed.

As soon as that happens we will start our way up the standings. Hughes will be able to grow into the player he needs to become and will become.  His confidence will grow game over game when he has a partner who has talent and knows how to back him up in all situations.  The synergy they develop will make them a huge part of our team.

Draft, trade, whatever it takes.  This is the number one priority this team has.  Move someone to get it done if that is what it takes.  Be bold.

If JB doesn't do it get someone else.  Even Green will look good once Hughes gets a true number 2 partner to play with.

• Like 1

Rielly is still a massive liability in his own end and should be in the press box until he either moves to forward or learns how to play defense.  I'm hopeful that Woo can develop into that guy, but ideally we'd be signing Manson once he hits UFA.

• Like 1

At the risk of...

Why not let Hughes play as a 3/4 d-man so he can learn a bit more (ie. defensive play) and not drown in the responsibility. He then can grow into the role of being a 1/2, and it should be easier/cheaper to find a good 3/4 guy to play with him for a year or two.

regards,  G.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

20 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Rielly is still a massive liability in his own end and should be in the press box until he either moves to forward or learns how to play defense.  I'm hopeful that Woo can develop into that guy, but ideally we'd be signing Manson once he hits UFA.

If you think Rielly is bad on D and should be in press box im really interested to know what you think of quinn hughes.. AHL until he gets good enough to play NHL defense or the taxi squad? 

• Like 1

Just now, WHL rocks said:

If you think Rielly is bad on D and should be in press box im really interested to know what you think of quinn hughes.. AHL until he gets good enough to play NHL defense or the taxi squad? 

He was fine last year.  He's clearly developing still and having a mentally handicapped defensive coach doesn't help.  He's still Nick better in his own end than Rielly, who has a pretty long track record to show he doesn't belong in the NHL.

54 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

The number one priority for the Canucks is to find a true stud number 2 D to pair with Hughes.

Whatever the Canucks do, they need to find the stud defensive minded talented true number 2 D pair for him. It's not Hamonic (he's a good 5-6) and not Tanev (he's gone and was a good guy) and not Luke Schenn (fans liked him and he was the first partner). It is a true number 2 that is needed.

As soon as that happens we will start our way up the standings. Hughes will be able to grow into the player he needs to become and will become.  His confidence will grow game over game when he has a partner who has talent and knows how to back him up in all situations.  The synergy they develop will make them a huge part of our team.

Draft, trade, whatever it takes.  This is the number one priority this team has.  Move someone to get it done if that is what it takes.  Be bold.

If JB doesn't do it get someone else.  Even Green will look good once Hughes gets a true number 2 partner to play with.

That guy is Adam Larson, and if they resign Hamonic he could be that guy to play on the right side, alongside Rathbone who will be our second LD, and bring Edler back at 3.25 million per year times 2 years, and you have a very competent third pair with Edler and Myers. Where is Schmidt you ask, well he gets moved with along with our 2021 2nd rounder, plus Ferland's LTIR, and Beagles LTIR cap helping contracts to Tampa Bay for Anthony Cireli. Your welcome JB, as I just did your job for ya. Oh ya, you'll need to package up a sweetner to move Eriksson and that will have to be Motte (I hate losing this guy), but he can't stay healthy and that's what a team will want to relieve us of Eriksson final year of 6 million. Our second big UFA acquisition should be Mikael Granlund (this guy still can be 55-60 point second liner).

New look lines:

Miller- Pettersson- Boeser

Pearson - Horvat- Granlund

Hoglander - Cireli- Podkolzin

Gadovich- Lind- MacEwen

Hughes- Larson

Rathbone- Hamonic

Edler- Myers

Mic Drop, and we make the playoffs without a doubt, and it's all under the cap.

Cheers,

Just now, The King said:

That guy is Adam Larson, and if they resign Hamonic he could be that guy to play on the right side, alongside Rathbone who will be our second LD, and bring Edler back at 3.25 million per year times 2 years, and you have a very competent third pair with Edler and Myers. Where is Schmidt you ask, well he gets moved with along with our 2021 2nd rounder, plus Ferland's LTIR, and Beagles LTIR cap helping contracts to Tampa Bay for Anthony Cireli. Your welcome JB, as I just did your job for ya. Oh ya, you'll need to package up a sweetner to move Eriksson and that will have to be Motte (I hate losing this guy), but he can't stay healthy and that's what a team will want to relieve us of Eriksson final year of 6 million. Our second big UFA acquisition should be Mikael Granlund (this guy still can be 55-60 point second liner).

New look lines:

Gadovich- Lind- MacEwen

Hughes- Larson

Rathbone- Hamonic

Edler- Myers

Cheers,

No one is taking a $6 million AHLer with only Motte as the sweetener.

1 hour ago, fanfor42 said:

Oh Ya there's no way Greener is coming back, the team stopped playing for him prior to them getting Covid. They stopped exerting maximum effort, and protecting the puck, the two things Green values most in a team.

• RoughGame 1

15 minutes ago, The King said:

New look lines:

Gadovich- Lind- MacEwen

Hughes- Larson

Rathbone- Hamonic

Edler- Myers

Cheers,

Not going to say I hate this (how’s that for faint praise!)

The concept of having an elite play driver on both top pairs is practically my first priority when I think of building a contending team. I’m secure in the knowledge that we have those play drivers in Q and JBone.

Edited by zimmy

9 minutes ago, The King said:

You might have to add OJ, but Im ok with that to, or a 3rd rounder

I wouldn't do OJ, but eve that wouldn't be enough.  Even a 1st doesn't get it done.  I'm hopeful that our taxi squad guys getting ice time indicates that Benning's convinced him to do the right thing and retire, but a buyout works if necessary.

3 minutes ago, zimmy said:

Not going to say I hate this (how’s that for faint praise!)

On this board, I'll take it, usually people flame away, but if you break it down it makes total sense. We need a legit #1 RD to play Hard minutes along side Hughes, and Larson is a stud, not flashy, just super sound. Granlund fills the need to make our second line much better, and creates winger depth. Cireli is the perfect fit for us moving forward, and stabalizes a line with two very good young players in Hoglander and Podkolzin.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I wouldn't do OJ, but eve that wouldn't be enough.  Even a 1st doesn't get it done.  I'm hopeful that our taxi squad guys getting ice time indicates that Benning's convinced him to do the right thing and retire, but a buyout works if necessary.

Of course Motte and OJ sweeten the deal to take Ericsson off our hands. A team like Detroit, Columbus, or Ottawa jump at the opportunity at adding two players that will play in their line up for years to come.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, The King said:

Of course Motte and OJ sweeten the deal to take Ericsson off our hands. A team like Detroit, Columbus, or Ottawa jump at the opportunity at adding two players that will play in their line up for years to come.  

It took a 1st for Toronto to unload one year of Marleau, who was still an actual NHLer, in a pre-pandemic deal.  Other teams also want to dump cap and have better players to offer than our $6 million floater.

Edited by King Heffy