The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Doughty making demands (whining again)

Rate this topic

2 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

As of this writing, 10+ million dollar cap hits are the kiss of death.  Both LA and Chicago completely fell off the map once guys like Kopitar, Doughty, Toews, and Kane got paid like gangstas.   Keep in mind, I’m not saying that they didn’t deserve to get paid since they brought in multiple Stanley Cups to their teams, but you can’t have it both ways.  

You either take less money so that you can have a shot at building a perennial winner (the Boston model), or you get paid for your past efforts and fade into the sunset.  That’s the reality of today’s NHL.........except in Toronto and Buffalo’s case who paid their young stars Stanley Cup money directly after their ELC’s and fostered whiny piss babies in the process.

Would Doughty accept a trade to Toronto?  I could see a Marner for Doughty deal straight across as potential.  TO needs to win now, and Doughty could help with that, kind of like Weber is in Montreal.  

On 5/15/2021 at 4:21 PM, SirCosmoDuffGordon said:

McDavid is worth a league max salary. There is no player who is even close to him. 

Worth is a relative term.  Yes, McDavid is “deserving” of that contract, but him accepting such a deal makes me question as to how much he truly wants to win cups.   Any player eating that high an AAV% relative to the cap will be a liability to his team in some form or another.   

Compare McDavid to Nathan Mackinnon for instance.  Mackinnon is 98% as good as McDavid but only makes about 50-55% of what McDavid makes.   Which player and cap hit would you rather have?

• Like 2

Just now, Alflives said:

Would Doughty accept a trade to Toronto?  I could see a Marner for Doughty deal straight across as potential.  TO needs to win now, and Doughty could help with that, kind of like Weber is in Montreal.  

I could see that being a good trade for both teams for sure.  Toronto needs to balance out their roster in a big way.

19 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Worth is a relative term.  Yes, McDavid is “deserving” of that contract, but him accepting such a deal makes me question as to how much he truly wants to win cups.   Any player eating that high an AAV% relative to the cap will be a liability to his team in some form or another.   

Compare McDavid to Nathan Mackinnon for instance.  Mackinnon is 98% as good as McDavid but only makes about 50-55% of what McDavid makes.   Which player and cap hit would you rather have?

It’s the same thing as what I say now.  In the season after next, Seth Jones will come with a 9.5 million AAV while Lindholm will likely be at around 6.5 million AAV.    Lindholm is about 85-90% as good as Seth Jones.   Who would you rather have at that cap hit and relative value?

• Cheers 1

On 5/15/2021 at 3:51 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

god I hope he gets traded to the Leafs 

I think this is a very distinct possibility. One of Marner, Matthews or Tavares would have to go the other way. My money would be on Marner. Doughty would help the defense immediately in TO. The Laffs would lose an elite offensive player though, but Marner has proven that he's not willing to do what it takes in the playoffs. Doughty has two Cups to his name. 

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think this is a very distinct possibility. One of Marner, Matthews or Tavares would have to go the other way. My money would be on Marner. Doughty would help the defense immediately in TO. The Laffs would lose an elite offensive player though, but Marner has proven that he's not willing to do what it takes in the playoffs. Doughty has two Cups to his name. 

I'm sure they'd try to push Nylander + back the other way, maybe Reilly? 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm sure they'd try to push Nylander + back the other way, maybe Reilly? 

That would be a mistake. Nylander proved himself a lot more than Marner did in the playoffs, and at a much lower salary. If I'm Dubas, I keep Nylander and trade Marner to LA (if they're interested) for Doughty. 

Rielly is probably going to be looking for a significant raise on his present $5M AAV. If they're able to trade for Doughty, Rielly becomes far more expendable and could be traded before he reaches free agency in 2022. He'd net a good return.

On 6/5/2021 at 2:57 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I kinda see it the same way. Much as I despise Doughty, I don’t really have any issue with anything he said. 

Well, other than this part:

“You've got two of the best players at their position”

I can’t for the life of me figure out who the heck he could possibly be talking about. :lol:

You mean apart from the obvious one - himself! Not sure how current season motivates that, but, ah well...

Kopitar is still one of the best centers in the league I guess,

27 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

It’s the same thing as what I say now.  In the season after next, Seth Jones will come with a 9.5 million AAV while Lindholm will likely be at around 6.5 million AAV.    Lindholm is about 85-90% as good as Seth Jones.   Who would you rather have at that cap hit and relative value?

I agree with you that these monster contracts can be the kiss of death. I found this list that someone compiled off of a website called evolving contacts (projections). 135D6214-89F2-4948-8669-C628C7CB6925.thumb.jpeg.6a1cb8d024631a2d7ad66e2c64bc7c6c.jpegI can’t speak to how it arrives at these figures or it’s accuracy as it is a paid subscription site. The contracts on here are if the player was a UFA today. Obviously many of them are not and some like Carlson and Petry have more team-friendly terms, but I found it  interesting for discussion purposes.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

That would be a mistake. Nylander proved himself a lot more than Marner did in the playoffs, and at a much lower salary. If I'm Dubas, I keep Nylander and trade Marner to LA (if they're interested) for Doughty. 

Rielly is probably going to be looking for a significant raise on his present $5M AAV. If they're able to trade for Doughty, Rielly becomes far more expendable and could be traded before he reaches free agency in 2022. He'd net a good return.

I just wonder if Dubie can take the heat of trading the local wonder boy in Marner? somehow I think he'd take less grief by moving Willie +.

Preferably Dubie gets nothing done and we see another 1st round bounce. 

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I just wonder if Dubie can take the heat of trading the local wonder boy in Marner? somehow I think he'd take less grief by moving Willie +.

Preferably Dubie gets nothing done and we see another 1st round bounce. 

I think so. The Laffs fans that I know want Marner gone. They weren't impressed by his playoff performance at all. Trading a local boy wonder for a local proven Stanley Cup winning, number one defenseman would more than make up for it. 

• Cheers 2

On 5/15/2021 at 5:02 PM, Dazzle said:

Honestly, I don't see it as a bad thing. This guy is just competitive. If Horvat or someone else said this, would you really disagree with him? Horvat did after all say he didn't want to go through another rebuild.

Guess he's a "whiner" too. Come on guys.

That's just not a good comparable Dazzle.

I'm not sure if I've summarized the Kings in this thread - have done so somewhere a few times, though.

In a nutshell - their top producers are all twilight assets.  And their youth are not close, nor impressive enough to bridge.  So it aint pretty, but it'd take one hell of a GM to pull off what Poughty is pouting about.   But the more fitting question is - would it be wise?

The Sedins speaking out in 2016 or 17 - that, imo would make more of a comparable.  Then again, that's not something you'd ever hear publicly, would  you - the Sedins calling out their GM on how to do his job. 

If I were Rob Blake I'd tell him to gfh, and submit a list of places, one of which he's on his way to.

• Cheers 1

Just now, oldnews said:

That's just not a good comparable Dazzle.

I'm not sure if I've summarized the Kings in this thread - have done so somewhere a few times, though.

In a nutshell - their top producers are all twilight assets.  And their youth are not close, nor impressive enough to bridge.  So it aint pretty, but it'd take one hell of a GM to pull off what Poughty is pouting about.   But the more fitting question is - would it be wise?

The Sedins speaking out in 2016 or 17 - that, imo would make more of a comparable.  Then again, that's not something you'd ever hear publicly, would  you - the Sedins calling out their GM on how to do his job. 

If I were Rob Blake I'd tell him to gfh, and submit a list of places, one of which he's on his way to.

I read his quote, but I guess people perceive it differently based on who said it.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

I read his quote, but I guess people perceive it differently based on who said it.

Fair enough.  But he's delusional.  He's a hothead.  He's just not the kind of level-headed thinker you'd want steering your franchise's decision making process.

The Kings rushing to try to get another run out of the Poughty, Kopitar, Brown crew?   I'd hate to hear that kind of 'gameplan' if I were a Kings fan.

On the other hand - as someone that doesn't 'love L.A.'  - I hope the Poughty attempts to peer pressure his GM will succeed - and it leads to prolonged failure.

• Cheers 1

I got it!!!!

TO will make a trade with LA.

Nylander + Reilly + A prospect + 1st 2022 for Kopitar (50% retained) + Doughty.

TO is sure to win the cup next year.  And LA can get a jump start to their rebuild.

Win win.

:P