The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Doughty making demands (whining again)

Rate this topic

49 minutes ago, SirCosmoDuffGordon said:

McDavid is worth a league max salary. There is no player who is even close to him. 

McDavid 103 points - 12.5 million----- He had 71 assists more then any leaf in points....

Mathews  66 points - 11.6 milllion--- Over paid - Maybe  9.5

Tavares    50 points -  11 million -- Over paid -- should of been like 8.5

Marner     67 points - 10.9 million --- Over paid -Maybe 9.5

Just now, wildcam said:

McDavid 103 points - 12.5 million----- He had 71 assists more then any leaf in points....

Mathews  66 points - 11.6 milllion--- Over paid - Maybe  9.5

Tavares    50 points -  11 million -- Over paid -- should of been like 8.5

Marner     67 points - 10.9 million --- Over paid -Maybe 9.5

I was inferring McDavid is underpaid for what he does for The Oilers. Around 15m is league Max and McDavid would be worth every penny of that. 

Eh, I don't see it as whining or making demands. Doughty, like most NHL players, simply wants to win. Perhaps moreso, given he's had a few tastes of winning at the highest levels. I'd be more concerned if a player wasn't wanting to win, Doughty is simply more outspoken than many other players. 

His salary certainly doesn't help, but LA gave it to him. 

• Huggy Bear 1

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

So if the Leafs did make a trade to get Doughty what would it look like?

Nylander

Robertson 

and Morgan Rielly?

Or Nylander, Reilly and a 1st in 2022? 

Either way, the Leafs get a whole lot better.  I'd be pretty happy with this as it would make the Kings significantly worse, and handicap a division rival for years.

• Cheers 1

3-way deal probably works if a one to one trade can't be done. Team one gets Doughty and 25% (or w/e) of his cap, team two gets picks/prospects (from team one and/or LA) and they keep 25% of the cap (or w/e based on how much of the cap they retain), and LA keeps 50% of the cap and get picks/prospects for their re-build from team one.

I don't believe the Canucks would/should participate in this, mostly because of the term of Doughty's contract, unless the reward for facilitating the deal was really good. I imagine team one's 1st would be gone to LA, maybe for the year after as well. There might be a 2nd from team one, and a good prospect but once again, I'm assuming that LA would want first dibs on the assets being offered by team one, so what would $2 - 3 million in cap space be worth in picks/prospects?

regards,  G.

On 5/15/2021 at 3:35 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'm not saying he's not worth the contract. But with a flat cap estimated for a few seasons, bitching is not going help with anything. 

I'll say it - he's not worth his contract.

His quote - believing he was 'phenomenal' this year - is good stuff.

He had an anemic 15 even strength points this season.  Tyler Myers outproduced him at es.

He played nearly 21 minutes of 5 on 5 hockey/game.

2.1 on ice goals for per 60 5on5 - is terrible for an $11 million pmd.

you've gotta hand it to him - he has insular levels of self-regard

But topping it off with his thing for blowing head gaskets....

If he were moveable - they should - move him.

I mean - 6 more years of Doughty at 11 million?  

Hard pass.

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, oldnews said:

I'll say it - he's not worth his contract.

His quote - believing he was 'phenomenal' this year - is good stuff.

He had an anemic 15 even strength points this season.  Tyler Myers outproduced him at es.

He played nearly 21 minutes of 5 on 5 hockey/game.

2.1 on ice goals for per 60 5on5 - is terrible for an $11 million pmd.

you've gotta hand it to him - he has insular levels of self-regard

But topping it off with his thing for blowing head gaskets....

If he were moveable - they should - move him.

I mean - 6 more years of Doughty at 11 million?  

Hard pass.

15 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Flames should trade for him lol. Just not for Tkachuk. 

This years first for him at 50% off.

I am very pleased with the Kings' regression. 

I miss the old days when the Canucks would sweep California and fill their stands with fans and then have dessert in the desert in Phoenix.... I think we are cycling back around to that again and I can't wait.

Guys like Eichel,McDavid,Draisaitl,Doughty,Karlsson,Marner,Tavares,Matthews etc went for the Big pay and may never see cups (or again for some of them)

Moneywise they got what they want, if your team sucks they should look at their % of team cap they use up and realize once you sign a big contract you may not experience having fun and winning like you hoped and lose interest, under perform or come up with injury to stop the boredom or frustration

I think you need to plan what % of cap you need to be successful on each player , what you have in the system and trade him high before you get a disgruntled player if you don't see your team competing like you hope and get those picks or assets in return

On 5/15/2021 at 5:02 PM, Dazzle said:

Honestly, I don't see it as a bad thing. This guy is just competitive. If Horvat or someone else said this, would you really disagree with him? Horvat did after all say he didn't want to go through another rebuild.

Guess he's a "whiner" too. Come on guys.

I kinda see it the same way. Much as I despise Doughty, I don’t really have any issue with anything he said. 

Well, other than this part:

“You've got two of the best players at their position”

I can’t for the life of me figure out who the heck he could possibly be talking about. :lol:

• Cheers 2

On 5/15/2021 at 5:25 PM, -AJ- said:

Does seem rather entitled, doesn't he?

I've disliked Doughty since his coming out party by scoring a couple goals for Canada in 2014.    Wasn't too crazy about the 8th seed winning the cup the year before either - figured it was mostly just luck and Quick.   Still do really.   Weber could have easily scored a couple of goals and been the hero in 2014 as well.  Didn't happen.  Weber is a better then Doughty but the league went into full love mode (Price too actually) after we won our last gold medal (and Benn too) and of course LA also just barely snuck in and won again to prove it wasn't a fluke.   Glad they are back to their usual losing ways.   And he shouldn't be saying anything given that paycheque.   One of the wealthiest NHLers ever in a cap world.    Toews whining makes me sick too.   You greedy f!ckers.   Enjoy the process.   Makes Crosby and Ovi look that much better.   Real hockey hero types.  Who actually earned every cent of their contract and never complained about a thing on the way. 

Edit:  Did i mention he fired his long standing agent before his last deal? Just so he didn't have to pay him his fees?  He's a total douche-bag.  The most overrated Norris winner other then Subban the last 20 years. 

Edited by IBatch

As of this writing, 10+ million dollar cap hits are the kiss of death.  Both LA and Chicago completely fell off the map once guys like Kopitar, Doughty, Toews, and Kane got paid like gangstas.   Keep in mind, I’m not saying that they didn’t deserve to get paid since they brought in multiple Stanley Cups to their teams, but you can’t have it both ways.  

You either take less money so that you can have a shot at building a perennial winner (the Boston model), or you get paid for your past efforts and fade into the sunset.  That’s the reality of today’s NHL.........except in Toronto and Buffalo’s case who paid their young stars Stanley Cup money directly after their ELC’s and fostered whiny piss babies in the process.

• Like 1