The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Off-season] Canucks Summer/Roster Moves

Another quick end to the season and to the summer/offseason where it's expected the team (from management to roster moves) will be making some significant signings and changes. 

Who goes? Who signs? Who is drafted? Who is traded? Your guesses here!

Management

OUT: Weisbrod, Clark and Assistant Coaches (Baum & Brown)

IN: Gorton (Boston connection), Sedins and a new goalie coach 

Draft

End up at #10th overall; draft Kent Johnson 

Trade Targets

Top 4 D (someone like Jake Bean or Matt Dumba)

3C (if they don't sign a UFA target; a player similar to Adam Lowry)

Grit player (see Ferland, Dorsett, Hawryluk type annual player)

Benning will be reported chasing top end free agents this UFA frenzy (Cizikas, Nugent-Hopkins, Landeskog) but will end up short

UFA

They'll likely overpay/add term (as in the past years)*

One name to look for: Weisbrod's former Flames pick, Mark Jankowski (soon to be UFA) as the Sutter replacement

D targets = Johns, Forbort, J. McCabe

Top 9 targets = Chiasson, Hoffman, Nosek

Kraken Select...

Zack MacEwen

Roster Changes

Roussel, Virtanen (buyouts)....

Eriksson buried in the AHL (one last year)

Beagle/Ferland = LTIR/Retired

Trade Bait

Boeser 

Juolevi 

Schmidt

DiPietro or Lind (AHL for AHL/NHL tweener 1:1 type deal)

Edited by Roger Neilsons Towel
Merged your 3 threads into one

• Lui's Knob changed the title to [Off-season] Canucks Summer/Roster Moves
4 hours ago, Lui's Knob said:

Another quick end to the season and to the summer/offseason where it's expected the team (from management to roster moves) will be making some significant signings and changes. 

Who goes? Who signs? Who is drafted? Who is traded? Your guesses here!

Management

OUT: Weisbrod, Clark and Assistant Coaches (Baum & Brown)

IN: Gorton (Boston connection), Sedins and a new goalie coach 

Draft

End up at #10th overall; draft Kent Johnson 

Trade Targets

Top 4 D (someone like Jake Bean or Matt Dumba)

3C (if they don't sign a UFA target; a player similar to Adam Lowry)

Grit player (see Ferland, Dorsett, Hawryluk type annual player)

Benning will be reported chasing top end free agents this UFA frenzy (Cizikas, Nugent-Hopkins, Landeskog) but will end up short

UFA

They'll likely overpay/add term (as in the past years)*

One name to look for: Weisbrod's former Flames pick, Mark Jankowski (soon to be UFA) as the Sutter replacement

D targets = Johns, Forbort, J. McCabe

Top 9 targets = Chiasson, Hoffman, Nosek

Kraken Select...

Zack MacEwen

Roster Changes

Roussel, Virtanen (buyouts)....

Eriksson buried in the AHL (one last year)

Beagle/Ferland = LTIR/Retired

Trade Bait

Boeser 

Juolevi 

Schmidt

DiPietro or Lind (AHL for AHL/NHL tweener 1:1 type deal)

We can't trade Boeser would effect top 6 scoring?? Need to sign Hamonic 6'2 -

Trade bate --Scmidt - Motte - Dipietro --

9 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

I believe that Clark will be back as the Goalie Coach. No one really wants to change cities in a Pandemic, unless they really have to.

I think we'll see Clark signed back before the end of the week.

I hope you’re right. The work he has done with Demko (and Markstrom) is impressive. 

A lot of folks seem very negative about the Canucks going forward, but I have found that there may be many opportunities for this team to move on in a very good direction.

Unloading cap: Eriksson to Abby or buy out 2m

Virt traded, fired or bought out 2.5m

Rousell bought out 1.3m

Total savings: 9m

2021 salary 15m

Available 24m

Before ED trade Canucks 1st to Tampa (2021 top 3 protected or 2022  pick) for Cernak   

Canucks leave Holtby, Myers, rookie forwards and rookie dmen unprotected.

Off season: Trade Schmidt to Devils for 1st pick 2022 lotto protected and McLeod (Pretty sure they want to hang onto Merkley)

NJ has fabulous young forward lineup, but their d sucks. Schmidt makes them a much

better team.

UFA: Hamonic 2.5m, Edler 2.5m, Sutter 3m (if Beagle can't play)

2021-22 Team

Miller 5m               Pete 7m          Boes 5.8                       *Scouting McLeod -considered one of (if not) the fastest skater in his

Pears 3.25m         Bo 5.25m        Hogs .891                        draft. Big physical energy player with offensive upside.  Needs to work on

Motte 1.22            McLeod 2m     Podz .918                         his defensive game.  Motte/Podz take up defensive slack.  This would be

Highmore .725     Beagle 3m       Mac or Lind 1m                a ridiculously fast and tough line.
                            (or Sutter )

Total:36m

Hughes 7m         Cernak 2.95                *If JB could pull of this trade with Tampa, the Canucks would have the perfect partner for Quinn.

Rathbone .925    Harmonic 2.5               Most people know about Cernak.  Just 23yrs old, but already a big, physical player who can player

Joulevi 1m          Myers 6m                     who is considered 'an all around dman'. He's considered a good skater, but not a speedster.

Edler 2.5m

(Edler can alternate with Rath and Joulevi).

Total: 23m

Demko 5m

Holtby 4.3m

Total: 9.3

Luongo retirement fund 3.03m   LE's cap hit 4.0m   Rousell's cap hit 1.7

Total Salary Cap: 79.7m + Ferland LITR 3.5m   *There are some prospects that become RFAs this season (cheap contracts).

Obviously it is not likely that all of these moves could happen, but I just wanted to put it out there that the next season doesn't look near as bleak as what some fans are speculating. There are other trades that can be made to bump up the teams speed, physicality and add skill to fill the gaps. 

I would love to target Dougie Hamilton in UFA, but I'm not sure we can afford him. Everything depends on the Petey and Huggy deals, so it's hard to say.

Looks like the buyout window will run past the expansion draft, so I'd be buying out Holtby if the Krackheads don't steal him (:lol:), Jake as well. Try to move Roussel. Hope mutual termination for Loui. I'm sure he can't be enjoying the pressbox every night.

Kick the tires on RNH, see if he'll take a hometown discount?

Ideally, with how many LD we have, we'd move Schmidt to Ottawa, who don't have much for that position, for a pick(s) to free up cap. 

Then target Cernak from T-bay to address our right side weakness and play with Hughes. T-bay can then use the 7/3/1 protection list to keep the bulk of their forward group intact, plus Hedman, Sergachev, and Foote on the D, instead of the 8/1 they would need to protect Cernak as well.

Re-sign Hamonic for the 3rd pairing RD, Edler as well, if he comes cheap enough.

Hughes - Cernak

Rathbone - Myers

Edler - Hamonic

Juolevi

But I bet Schmidt has Ottawa near the top of his 10 team no-trade list...

• Upvote 1

I

1 hour ago, Chickenspear said:

I would love to target Dougie Hamilton in UFA, but I'm not sure we can afford him. Everything depends on the Petey and Huggy deals, so it's hard to say.

Yeah, I don't see Hamilton coming to Van.  To big a price tag and term.

Looks like the buyout window will run past the expansion draft, so I'd be buying out Holtby if the Krackheads don't steal him (:lol:), Jake as well. Try to move Roussel. Hope mutual termination for Loui. I'm sure he can't be enjoying the pressbox every night.

I looked at Holtby's buyout terms and it's excellent.  Still have to find a backup; probably around 3m for a decent one.  I agree that Roussel, Virtanen and LE will be gone (one way or another).

Kick the tires on RNH, see if he'll take a hometown discount?

Ideally, with how many LD we have, we'd move Schmidt to Ottawa, who don't have much for that position, for a pick(s) to free up cap. 

I was thinking Schmidt to NJ for their 2022 top 10 protected 1st (unprotected the following year) and McLoed.  That way Schmidt's # is clear and sign McLeod to a 1.5-2m contract.  There's your 3C.

Then target Cernak from T-bay to address our right side weakness and play with Hughes. T-bay can then use the 7/3/1 protection list to keep the bulk of their forward group intact, plus Hedman, Sergachev, and Foote on the D, instead of the 8/1 they would need to protect Cernak as well.

Really like Cernak with Hughes.  He will be very hard to pull away from Tampa.  I was thinking Canucks 2021 1st (top 3 protected) so Tampa takes the 9th overall or chances the 1st in 2022.

Re-sign Hamonic for the 3rd pairing RD, Edler as well, if he comes cheap enough.

Hughes - Cernak

Rathbone - Myers

Edler - Hamonic

Juolevi

But I bet Schmidt has Ottawa near the top of his 10 team no-trade list...

Losing some cap space and using a draft pick to acquire Cernak (to which the Schmidt trade could bring a 1st rounder back' would be awesome.  Cernak and McLeod are young and still cheap, but they are replacing bigger contracts.  I like it.

When I totalled up the Canuck salary cap with Pete and Quinn signed, Loungo $ incluede, as well as the new additions, they were under the cap by about 4m.  They would even have some breathing room if they had to make a move during the season.

• Cheers 1