The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Proposal: Sign Adam Larsson

Adam Larsson is a free agent this offseason and, although he's not a massive name, he could be a great fit for the lineup. Primarily, next to Hughes. He's not a massive point producer (10 points this season), but could be that big RHD that is needed beside Hughes (6'3, 208lbs). 

Much like Tanev, he's a massive shot blocker (2nd in the league this year with 128), unlike Tanev, he gets a lot of hits (5th in the league this year with 166). 

He also could come relatively cheap given that he doesn't produce too many points. I'm guessing Tanev-like money. 

Would you sign Larsson to 4.5M for the next 4-5 years until he is 32/33 years old?

• Cheers 1

I don't think we'll get the chance, if EDM loses him its a massive step back for them. 

I also don't think he takes 4.5, and I wouldn't want to pay more than that since this likely eats into some of his declining years. 

Oh yeah, I sure would. Hard to determine what offers he'll get, and I don't think we should pay more than your suggestion, but if it's around that number definitely. Also think he would be a good fit and that he might want to come here.

The trade that got him to EDM from NJD for Hall has taken its toll on both players. Don't have any insight but just speculating I could see him not resigning with EDM. A team 1-2 years further along compared to us with the needed cap space makes more sense though.

Edited by J-P

I would for sure do it at 4.5 mil for 3-4 years.

But will Edmonton let him go? Their defence is already bad.

It would be funny if Edler signs there and Larsson comes here, kinda like how we got Hamonic and Calgary got Tanev.

3 minutes ago, NHL'er said:

I'd trade Taylor Hall for him.

Or would I...? 

Ha ha fair enough, but the original point of the trade still stands:

1) Did Larsson make Oilers better?

2) Would Hall have made a difference in this years playoffs for the Oilers?

I say yes and no and that it was a somewhat even trade although Hall is the better player talent wise 1 for 1.

@J-P I was just talking jibberish. Can't be bothered to actually think about the Hall - Larsson trade lol. 

But agreed, I think Larsson would be a good fit here given it's less than 5 years and less than 4.5 million. 

Edited by NHL'er
  • Cheers 1

I think the Canucks will have to find a way of moving one of Eriksson, Beagle, or Roussel before entertaining such thoughts since most of the Canucks’ freed up cap space will need to go towards Pettersson and Hughes.

Canucks might have a more realistic shot with Ryan Murphy.  He’ll likely come cheaper than Larsson since Murphy has had difficulty staying healthy at times.   The presence of Murphy would also allow Schmidt to play on his preferred right side.

I think Edmonton will likely re-sign him, but I do agree he would be a good fit here, a Stevens-Niedermayer type pairing with Hughes. I also don't think 4.5M is far off in terms of fair value, but a 5.25Mx5y wouldn't surprise me on the free agent market. Not a ton of a high quality RHD coming up (per usual) - Hamilton, Barrie, Vatanen & Larsson - and none are as good defensively or physically as Larsson is.

Sounds like a big no to me. Hes already having his minutes cut by the Oilers, and 10 points playing on the same team as McDavid and Draisaitl? That's plenty of warning to me. Even Tanev who is known to suck offensively racks up more points. 

Just now, Drakrami said:

Sounds like a big no to me. Hes already having his minutes cut by the Oilers, and 10 points playing on the same team as McDavid and Draisaitl? That's plenty of warning to me. Even Tanev who is known to suck offensively racks up more points. 

Nobody racks up points on the Oilers outside a few guys. You’d think more players would at least catch a couple secondary assists here and there 

I think there are better options via trades prior to the expansion draft, both for our C and top 9 wing roles.

I'd call on:

Minnesota for Greenway

Nashville for Jarnrok

Rangers for gauthier

STL for Barbashvev

Caps for Shultz or Oshie

Jets for Stanley

And really go after the Lightning to get Foote along with Killorn. They are going to be in real tough to make their cap work this offseason, hopefully we can leverage that into getting a few nice assets.

6 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

I think Edmonton will likely re-sign him, but I do agree he would be a good fit here, a Stevens-Niedermayer type pairing with Hughes. I also don't think 4.5M is far off in terms of fair value, but a 5.25Mx5y wouldn't surprise me on the free agent market. Not a ton of a high quality RHD coming up (per usual) - Hamilton, Barrie, Vatanen & Larsson - and none are as good defensively or physically as Larsson is.

I don't think I'd jump at any of the UFA RHD this year, unless we go hard after Hamilton, which won't happen.  Next year their are some excellent options on D.  Many will re sign, but it may force these teams to unload other assets.

Nurse

Letang

Paryako

S.Jones

M. Reilly

Klingberg

Manson

Shultz

Ekhholm.  

I wouldn't sign anyone out of Edmonton. I'd rather just retain Hamonic as he'll likely accept a more reasonable contract. I'm really not interested in handing anyone who isn't Hughes or Pettersson significant term or dollars this offseason.