The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Seth Jones to test FA

14 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Here's the Karlsson deal:

Traded from Ottawa Senators with Francis Perron to San Jose Sharks for Josh Norris, Rudolfs Balcers, Chris Tierney, Dylan DeMelo, round 2 pick in the 2019 draft (Jamieson Rees), conditional round 1 pick in the 2020 draft (Tim Stutzle), conditional round 2 pick in the 2021 draft and conditional round 1 pick in the 2022 draft

So OTT got:

Norris -- top tier prospect

Balcers

Tierney -- just came off a 17 goal, 40pt performance

Demelo -- a solid Top 4 Dman

2nd Rounder

TWO conditional 1st Rounders

and one conditional 2nd Rounder

I don't think Jones has quite the clout or pedigree that Karlsson had AT THAT TIME... there was almost no question that Karlsson was either the top defenceman in the league or was at least Top 3.  Not sure if Jones is quite at that level.  Nevertheless... it gives us all an idea of how much a top tier RHD is worth in this league.

I think it would actually look like:

To VAN:

Jones

To CBJ:

Podkolzin (Norris)

Hoglander (Tierney)

Schmidt (Demelo)

2nd Round Pick

Conditional 1st Round Pick

In other words, WAY too expensive for the Canucks.

Want Jones?  Wait it out and see if CBJ actually moves him.  If not, the Canucks will actually have the cap space to make him an offer as a UFA next year.

Schmidt, Podkolzin, 2022 conditional 1st, B level prospect  for Seth Jones w/ agreed upon 6yr 8 mil deal

Tough deal to make.  I'd be really on the fence whether I'd do it or not.  Seth Jones is very good, but had a down year this year.

7 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Schmidt, Podkolzin, 2022 conditional 1st, B level prospect  for Seth Jones w/ agreed upon 6yr 8 mil deal

Tough deal to make.  I'd be really on the fence whether I'd do it or not.  Seth Jones is very good, but had a down year this year.

Please no to moving Podz. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Please no to moving Podz. 

That's why I'm on the fence.  Podkolzin might be my favorite of all the prospects we've had in recent years.  Seth Jones is a true #1 RHD in his prime though, he makes our team way better than it currently is, right away.  It would take something that really hurts to get him.

2 minutes ago, BCNate said:

That's why I'm on the fence.  Podkolzin might be my favorite of all the prospects we've had in recent years.  Seth Jones is a true #1 RHD in his prime though, he makes our team way better than it currently is, right away.  It would take something that really hurts to get him.

Ugh. Yeah to get you have to give but that would sting. 

Id prefer two 1sts this year and next vs losing this kid.

48 minutes ago, HKSR said:

In other words, WAY too expensive for the Canucks.

Want Jones?  Wait it out and see if CBJ actually moves him.  If not, the Canucks will actually have the cap space to make him an offer as a UFA next year.

I agree with u but its fun throwing proposals around. Jones aint coming here 

7 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

I agree with u but its fun throwing proposals around. Jones aint coming here 

And I never thought OEL would be coming here but it sounds like it was close to happening.

Dont put it past Benning to get in on a bidding war for Jones.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

The point you proved is that the WAR metric  as a basis for evaluation is severely flawed and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Almost as if I said it was just "one of many metrics that paint an incredibly unflattering picture of a player that was playing sheltered offensive minutes and was a defensive liability in all situations"

5 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Almost as if I said it was just "one of many metrics that paint an incredibly unflattering picture of a player that was playing sheltered offensive minutes and was a defensive liability in all situations"

And I’m sure you’ve compared all other metrics over multiple seasons to paint the full picture right?

Looking at one metric for one season can make almost any player look bad. I wouldn’t read too much into it.

Hard to imagine his minutes were that sheltered when he lead the team in ice time both even strength and short handed. That doesn’t really add up to a player being a liability does it?

There’s a reason why Jones will be on the US Olympic team and MDZ will be on the Canadian Spengler cup team.

15 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Rathbone, Myers, 2021 1st, Lind, secondary pick

If that's what it'll take then....No No No GIF

If is was a 2021 1st round pick then Myers and Gadjovick or Lockwood and a 2022 3rd would be fair.  Anything more then that no thanks.

Edited by Hogs & Podz

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

And I’m sure you’ve compared all other metrics over multiple seasons to paint the full picture right?

Looking at one metric for one season can make almost any player look bad. I wouldn’t read too much into it.

Hard to imagine his minutes were that sheltered when he lead the team in ice time both even strength and short handed. That doesn’t really add up to a player being a liability does it?

There’s a reason why Jones will be on the US Olympic team and MDZ will be on the Canadian Spengler cup team.

And I'll bet you dollars to donuts that he's a minus against any of Canada, Sweden, Finland, Russia or Czech Republic. However the pools work out.

I have been suggesting these couple of trades for a while now. Whilst it is not ideal to trade Miller, we can likely get Killorn very cheap from TBL and sign Coleman as a UFA. These 2 guys plus Jenner would really round out and balance our top 9, even with the loss of Miller.

Killorn and Jones trades.JPG

11 hours ago, BCNate said:

so why not just wait a year until he's a UFA? That way we could keep Podkolzin, and also have a chance to sign him. 

4 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

so why not just wait a year until he's a UFA? That way we could keep Podkolzin, and also have a chance to sign him. 

Yes that would be ideal, and I was hoping that CBJ would hold onto him until the end of next season trying to sign him. But if CBJ trade him to a new team this off season, that new team will have every opportunity to resign him before he hits UFA :wacko:

16 hours ago, DeNiro said:

And I never thought OEL would be coming here but it sounds like it was close to happening.

Dont put it past Benning to get in on a bidding war for Jones.

It may not go nuclear. The way its set up now, its really expensive to get him both ways for a single team- in some massive trade and also in whatever the extension is. With the cap not going up until 2025 according to Freidman, that should bring the trade price down.

If CBJ gets some underwhelming offers they might as well wait until the next TDL to move him when there's more of a frenzy and maybe a better chance of more picks and prospects from a contender and Jones gets his next deal from a different team as a UFA.