The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Seth Jones to test FA

8 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

Very few on our team had a good year. 

Yeah, its been awhile now but watching the young core develope with the other prospects has been the only reason to keep watching (for me) during the teams current retool.

Luckily, JB is good at drafting and hope he keeps it going.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

14 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yeah, its been awhile now but watching the young core develope with the other prospects has been the only reason to keep watching (for me) during the teams current retool.

Luckily, JB is good at drafting and hope he keeps it going.

I think we should trade our first.

11 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

I think we should trade our first.

I disagree, at this early stage; would rather wait until the season starts to see if the team is actually competitive - just not confident that Green is the right coach.  I get it - the ink is dry and still hoping the team will do well.   

Trade it for what - Seth Jones ?

Edited by ShawnAntoski

10 minutes ago, Cromeslab said:

Let’s wait and see what it is:bigblush:

10 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

I disagree, at this early stage; would rather wait until the season starts to see if the team is actually competitive - just not confident that Green is the right coach.  I get it - the ink is dry and still hoping the team will do well.   

That may be the case. I do trust Benning's ability. However, there are more possibilities that another Nolan Patrick may appear. There just was not enough games played for a proper evaluation of the talent. I think if we can get a good player that is ready now, that is better than a possible bust later.

3 hours ago, Tom Sestito said:

Which two of those pairings do you trust in games to play against other teams best players? 

The team needs more defense first defensemen. Right now, we have one (Hamonic) and he should be playing on a bottom pair and not as a matchup guy.

Hamonic is a good D. Critically, a right handed one.

When he missed 12 or 18 of our 1st games we got slaughtered.  He returned; voila we were a good team again.

He does for us what a healthy  Tanev did. I disagree & believe Hamonic is a very good defender.

2 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The problem is if he is re-signed its pretty much a sure thing he will still be playing over 20 min per game and be a key matchup guy for Green.

If they would reduce his role then he could still be effective. I just dont see them doing so if he is re-signed. Benning himself said Green wants veterans playing when push comes to shove. The trouble is Edler has slowed down a lot the last few years. Not sure he is the best option for a top role anymore.

Another part to the Edler equation?

Is not Hamonic, it's Schmidt.  I have  to admit I liked his acquisition. It only cost a 3rd.  But to fit Hughes & Edler? And because RHD Hamonic was injured. He played off side.  Schmidt, like most D, was not nearly as good there. Now we have a $6 mill LHD who may be redundant if we retain Edler.

So I agree, the only real place for Alex is if he signs affordably enough. Otherwise our LHD budget is already (going to be) spent on Hughes / Schmidt. And Schmidt can pick up the workload Edler had.  Save the dollars for another RHD. Or trade Schmidt. Edler at $2 mill? Forces Rathbone & Juolevi to earn their roster spot.

Summary; Edler (at big dollars) and Schmidt creates redundancy.

23 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

I am not one to spitball trades but if we had one of the top 3 OA picks. What about a trade of Pick in 1st and 2nd round plus Eriksson for Seth Jones. Could something like that work?

Hate to say, or even mull it over..but I'd imagine them Av-b*stards could assemble a very appealing pkg-deal here.

Something like a Kadri, Newhook, Byram? Who could come close to something like this?

edit: or sub in a timmins, Girard (for the first 2 guys) & CBJ could load up with young D

Edited by Nuxfanabroad
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

That may be the case. I do trust Benning's ability. However, there are more possibilities that another Nolan Patrick may appear. There just was not enough games played for a proper evaluation of the talent. I think if we can get a good player that is ready now, that is better than a possible bust later.

You still need to figure out where u stand as far as 1st rnd  pick before you start trading it away

2 hours ago, 4petesake said:

No question that Seth Jones is pretty much exactly the kind of talent that the Canucks need for RD but I hope the club does it’s due diligence in finding out what personality they’d be bringing into the locker room. His Twitter account is very far right politically. He retweets a lot of  Don Trump jr and pro-Trump views  and is anti-lockdown, anti-Covid restrictions etc. I’m not sure he fits in with a team that was ravaged by Covid. I have no idea if it’s true but there are also rumours that he was one of the reasons PLD wanted out.

Thanks for posting this Pete.

Something's are bigger than sport.

Do we really want someone in our team who supports the biggest douchebag the world has seen so far this century.

Quality of character far outweighs quality of athletic talent.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 4petesake said:

Fair enough but my concern wouldn’t be what you or I think, it’s how his teammates would feel about him.

I don't know about this Pete.

When you support a team you are supporting the athletes that play for that team.

Ice will freeze in hell before I support someone who supports the trumps and what they have done and continue to do.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Hamonic is a good D. Critically, a right handed one.

When he missed 12 or 18 of our 1st games we got slaughtered.  He returned; voila we were a good team again.

He does for us what a healthy  Tanev did. I disagree & believe Hamonic is a very good defender.

Another part to the Edler equation?

Is not Hamonic, it's Schmidt.  I have  to admit I liked his acquisition. It only cost a 3rd.  But to fit Hughes & Edler? And because RHD Hamonic was injured. He played off side.  Schmidt, like most D, was not nearly as good there. Now we have a $6 mill LHD who may be redundant if we retain Edler.

So I agree, the only real place for Alex is if he signs affordably enough. Otherwise our LHD budget is already (going to be) spent on Hughes / Schmidt. And Schmidt can pick up the workload Edler had.  Save the dollars for another RHD. Or trade Schmidt. Edler at $2 mill? Forces Rathbone & Juolevi to earn their roster spot.

Summary; Edler (at big dollars) and Schmidt creates redundancy.

I think Hamonic is a good defenseman. But I am not convinced he is the right partner for Hughes or on a shutdown pairing. He replaced some of what Tanev brought but not in terms of being a fit that could help insulate Hughes. I see him as a guy that could be a really good bottom pairing partner with Rathbone. 

How the pairings balance out and work together is just as important as having good players.

Its one of the reasons I am not sure our left D has spots for both Juolevi and Rathbone. With Hughes struggling defensively I just dont see Green going with 3 young guys on the left side.

Moving Schmidt over would certainly be the best in house solution to re-signing and overplaying Edler. But it also creates a vacuum on RD that the team has no one ready to fill. So they would have to find one. 

The team needs a top pairing quality true all around rhd more than anything else imo. Myers and Hamonic are good 2nd/3rd pair guys on a contending team. Schmidt could be a top pairing guy I think but not sure it would be with Hughes.

2 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Depends how political the players are. Be sad if you cant be respectful to your teammate regardless what side you are politically.

Being a trump supporter goes beyond politics.

He is a self confessed sexual assaulter.He cost hundreds of thousands of Americans their lives re his handling of Covid.

He is a racist,a bigot.

We don't want or need an athlete that supports the trump family in our locker room.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ilunga said:

Being a trump supporter goes beyond politics.

He is a self confessed sexual assaulter.He cost hundreds of thousands of Americans their lives re his handling of Covid.

He is a racist,a bigot.

We don't want or need an athlete that supports the trump family in our locker room.

Hey,take this to the trump thread:bigblush:

1 minute ago, Cromeslab said:

Hey,take this to the trump thread:bigblush:

If Jones really is a far right trump supporter I don't want him on our team.

I have explained my reasons,if you feel differently that's fair enough.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

I'd be happy to upgrade Schmidt for Jones but don't want to be losing a 1st for it. He hasn't put up world-class numbers lately (around a 40-50 point pace) and it's hard to say who's to blame for his defensive record; the team or the player or a bit of both. I think people are massively over-valuing him but of course he's still a young, big, strong premium top-4 defenceman, if not top-2 on most teams. 

Schmidt + 2nd + winger of some sort (Gadjovic? Michaelis maybe?) Our 2nd is quite high, otherwise I'd give them a top-10 protected 1st (perhaps next season's).

Hughes - Myers

Rathbone - Jones

Juolevi - Hamonic

That's a hell of a unit not just for next season but years to come. Myers, Jones and Hamonic gives us some decent size and grit, protect the young guys and of course we've got enough puck-moving ability on each pairing. A much more mobile unit compared to what we're used to.

1 hour ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Schmidt and a 2022 3rd for jones but if he signs in vancouver the 3rd turns into a 1st

Jones is probably worth a 1st at the TDL without having to take a player back with term.  If Jones is traded - CBJ is likely heading into a rebuild.  They don't have many players coming up through the system after trading so many picks that one year.  Schmidt won't be able to replace him and keep them afloat.  They will probably be more looking for top prospects and high draft picks to help their rebuild.

It's no longer possible to make that kind of deal where there is an additional pick or an improved pick if the player is re-signed.  It was changed last summer when they revised the CBA.  

Edited by mll
  • Sad 1