The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Vasili Podkolzin

9 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Had he stuck around until the '94 season, who knows what might have happened?

Igor's choice, he did not want anymore money going to the Russian Hockey Federation, and the deal the Canucks had with Russia was as long as Igor remained a Canuck they would have to send money overseas.

• Vintage 2

18 minutes ago, gurn said:

Igor's choice, he did not want anymore money going to the Russian Hockey Federation, and the deal the Canucks had with Russia was as long as Igor remained a Canuck they would have to send money overseas.

Him and his damned principles.  A shame for us, but hard to blame the guy.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, gurn said:

I now remember that bit, he didn't want the RHF getting anymore money from the team that took a chance on him. Man, what a talented hockey player.

• Upvote 1

The only time I went to a training camp session was when Krutov was there.  Only thing I clearly remember was Craig Coxe loudly introducing him to the other wannabes (this session was for the second tier of players)... this is VLADIMIR! 

Was worth a chuckle at the time.

• Haha 1

I went to Igor's first camp as a Canuck, was a little bit worried at first.

He would make passes to no one, but after a bit of thought I realized there should have been someone there. Guy was doing beautiful set ups to spring odd man rushes.

Heck of a hockey player, and to all accounts a good guy.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

I went to Igor's first camp as a Canuck, was a little bit worried at first.

He would make passes to no one, but after a bit of thought I realized there should have been someone there. Guy was doing beautiful set ups to spring odd man rushes.

Heck of a hockey player, and to all accounts a good guy.

Heckuva guy.  Classy as they come.  I met him years ago and he was as patient and down to Earth as they come when it came to fans and especially children.  I've got nothing but the utmost respect for Larionov.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2